• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Demon Drink

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Demon Drink

After responding to the MSC drinks package thread, I thought it would be interesting to talk about the consumption of alcohol generally.

When I was a teenager and first started to drink alcohol, like all youngsters I did get hammered a few times. In fact I remember getting so drunk on gin when I was in Majorca with my fiance and friends that I didn't touch gin for about 20 years. I switched to Bells and American (ginger) but only drank in moderation. At that time, I didn't drink wine very often because it seemed expensive back then.

Since having a family, I drank less because I like to think that being a Mum turned me into a responsible adult for a good few years. My kids certainly never saw me the worst for drinking too much.

Nowadays, I enjoy wine with a meal but not usually more than a couple of glasses, except for the odd occasion when I will admit to being tipsy in company. (As some of my forum friends have witnessed)I also enjoy a G & T and have been known to enjoy the cocktails on offer on our more expensive cruises in days gone by. We used to enjoy a pre-dinner drink at home but for some reason got out of the habit. These days,we never drink at home alone.
    OH is a real ale drinker and enjoys a pint with a meal in preference to a glass of wine.

When we are on a cruise, if we don't have the all inclusive package, which we don't on long cruises, it is only me that drinks wine with dinner. I order a bottle of my favourite but as I only drink a glass or sometimes 2, the bottle lasts me 3 or 4 nights.

The thing is with all inclusive packages, yes it's nice to have the freedom to drink as much as you like knowing that you are not going to get a shock bar bill at the end of the cruise but have you ever considered what it might be doing to your health?

I watch lots o health related TV programmes and read many an article on the connection between the amount of alcohol consumed in relation to the risk of getting certain cancers and other diseases.

I think my kids drink far more than I ever did at their age and I worry about their future health. My youngest daughter though hasn't had anything but the occasional half glass of wine for well over a year. She has a 5 month old baby so stopped drinking as soon as she suspected that she was pregnant and as she is breast feeding him, still hasn't been able to drink like she used to. I am hoping that when she is able to, she will do as I did and as a Mum become a responsible parent and drink less.

Now I don't want to be party pooper but when I read threads such as the latest MSC drinks prices, I marvel at the fact that people are spending a fortune on booze and wonder if they are realise what damage it could be doing to their life expectancy.

Your opinions please?
    Jill

We both enjoy a glass or two of wine most evenings, never drink beer/cocktails and very rarely drink spirits, our total weekly consumption hovers around/just over the suggested limits on units.

We like drinks packages that provide for soft drinks, bottled water, fresh juice and coffee as well as wine.

Having a drinks package does not change what I drink, I will have what I want when I want it and would not drink more because it was "free"

As to the impact on life expectancy so many other variables and would you rather die happy in your late 70's or spend the last 5 years of your life living in a nursing home, bed bound and suffering with dementia, sadly not an unusual occurrence.

John

Comment

Interesting.

I have made many a comment on how I'm a cheap date, drinks wise! My husband is the same.

My theory on booze, hotel or ship or anywhere, is just because it's ''provided'' [won't say free because hotel or ship, it's paid for in some form or another], it doesn't have to be drunk and I say that with having ''free'' alcohol on tap on many an occasion.

As for our children, in my experience, I think they drink far less than we used to.
      Last edited by Mrs M; 28th November 2018, 06:29 AM. Reason: spellin!

Comment

We have a few G&t,s most nights, I think its part of our habit now but my body tells me when it needs a rest.
        I have a little detox now and again, So far so good, I get regular check ups from my doctor/practice nurse and all organ readings and tests come back fine so I dont worry about over doing it. I will admit when I was younger I could drink till the cows came home, Working in the drinks industry didn't help. Jan.

Comment

Interesting perspective.

I enjoy having the option of reasonably priced drinks packages on cruise ships and I have used them, Most of my alcoholic beverage consumption is done on cruise ships or when I am on holiday - I do like my cocktails.

At home, I don't drink even though the drinks cabinet is full. Even dining out for a celebratory meal, it is a soft drink or spritz - our drink driving laws are stricter in Scotland.

The medics have assessed me as a non-drinker

The drinkers in this country appear to be the older groups. There will always be exceptions.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...lcohol-in-data.

To summarise I don't think about the medical impact of my cruise drinking habits - it is not a monthly habit

Annie

Comment

Most of my recent cruises have included a DP, and those that haven't have been good value as an additional purchase, but when it comes to the likes of Celebrity or Princess I vote with my wallet firmly closed.

I don't drink anymore than I would normally with a DP, but If I was foolish enough to pay the outrageous charges for a DP on some lines, I would be far more tempted to make sure I got my monies worth............Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
              Most of my recent cruises have included a DP, and those that haven't have been good value as an additional purchase, but when it comes to the likes of Celebrity or Princess I vote with my wallet firmly closed.

I don't drink anymore than I would normally with a DP, but If I was foolish enough to pay the outrageous charges for a DP on some lines, I would be far more tempted to make sure I got my monies worth............Wilba
              Which is my point really. If I paid a fortune for a DP, I would also want my money's worth and that could amount to a large daily consumption of alcohol.

Jill

Comment

I've just been helping out behind the bar in our local club, and am absolutely gobsmacked at what some people can drink, and still be standing and coherent

I can't drink that much now, unless it's a frozen daiquiri, which seem to have no effect on me at all.

I probably would get my moneys worth with a drinks package though because I would try lots of things I hadn't had before, probably wouldn't drink them all, which is pretty wasteful I guess, but an ideal way to try something new!! .................................................. ..............................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Which is my point really. If I paid a fortune for a DP, I would also want my money's worth and that could amount to a large daily consumption of alcohol.
                  Expensive DPs and expensive drinks prices are probably a factor with some cruisers in the selection of their cruise line??

Remember also, that if you have sufficiently high loyalty status with certain cruise lines, you can enjoy multiple free alcoholic beverages.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Expensive DPs and expensive drinks prices are probably a factor with some cruisers in the selection of their cruise line??

Remember also, that if you have sufficiently high loyalty status with certain cruise lines, you can enjoy multiple free alcoholic beverages.

Annie
                    Hi Annie
                    You are probably right.....I wouldn't go on a c**p cruise line just because the drink prices or DP is cheap.
                    Also i don't believe all those who have a drink package count their drink intake to get their moneys worth.I don't!!

As for health issues,,,,,as the sign in Yates Wine Lodges used to say.....'Moderation is true temperance'.

ps.I don't drink at home,,but a gallon of beer and a couple of large Jamesons on a Saturday night is true temperance to me.

JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I drink at home and on a cruise, with or without a DP I spend about the same on drinks on a cruise. Our last PandO cruise the bar bill was about the same as if I had paid for their new DP package. Only difference is I might try a few different brands or cocktails (and real juice rather than the machine) with a DP to see if there is one that I would drink more often..........not found one yet.
                      I don't sleep much (5/6 hours) so am usually up early and bed late, so can have up to 18hours drinking, non alcoholic and alcoholic so it soon adds up.
                      My kids drink far less than I ever did, possibly due to the decline in the pub culture and the fact that they always seem to be in bed!!!.

P.S. probably too late too worry about any long term effects to my health
                      Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 28th November 2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

We’re all sober in Scotland after the SNP declared we were all alcoholics and costing the NHS billions in associated treatment costs . Cruise at least 3 times a year so we can indulge in the (so called) free drinks packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Its a simple maths equation for us, I like to have a drink but will only get a drinks package when there is some financial benefit as we pretty much know what our intake will be. It certainly doesn'y encourage me to drink more but its nice to not have the additional expenditure at the end of the cruise.
                          What we also have to factor in is the fact that my good lady doesn't partake in alcohol but does enjoy some of the other items available such as decent coffee as opposed to the stuff on offer.

We have found Costa & MSC to have the best value packages and despite cruising Celebrity the most have never considered taking out a mortgage to pay what they are asking.

www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post

Hi Annie
                            You are probably right.....I wouldn't go on a c**p cruise line just because the drink prices or DP is cheap.
                            Also i don't believe all those who have a drink package count their drink intake to get their moneys worth.I don't!!

As for health issues,,,,,as the sign in Yates Wine Lodges used to say.....'Moderation is true temperance'.

ps.I don't drink at home,,but a gallon of beer and a couple of large Jamesons on a Saturday night is true temperance to me.

JC
                            I was thinking of those forum members who state they are reluctant to cruise certain lines and I paraphrase slightly because they feel mugged every time they buy a drink

Even within the Carnival group of companies, they have the 2 Cs at either end of the price spectrum.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                              We’re all sober in Scotland after the SNP declared we were all alcoholics and costing the NHS billions in associated treatment costs . Cruise at least 3 times a year so we can indulge in the (so called) free drinks packages.
                              I took delivery of my Christmas drinks order the other evening and was delighted to note that my favourite beverage has not increased in price - that is about the only item on my shopping list that hasn't increased in price over the last year

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X