• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Extraordinary Villages" In the UK by Tony Francis ( not found on a cruise)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Extraordinary Villages" In the UK by Tony Francis ( not found on a cruise)

Nothing to do with cruising, today I received in the post a complimentary hardback copy of this 224 page book, entitled "Extraordinary Villages" in the UK, written by Tony Francis, who has produced and presented more than 500 countryside and wildlife programmes for TV, published by Merlin Unwin books. He has also been a high profile sports presenter on ITV. The book was also personally signed by the author.

Merlin Unwin Books

The reason I have been sent a complimentary copy, is because one of the villages he has written about is Mousehole in Cornwall, pronounced Mouzel and he has used one of my photo's to illustrate it in the book, for which I am highly chuffed. It has also given me something to read and view the other 177 photos, whilst I am temporary immobilised.

The picture is nothing special, here is a copy, but it looks much better in the book, it's just that out of probably thousands of photo's they could have used, they chose one of mine. Not the first time I have had a photo of mine used in this way, the first by this publisher.

Mousehole is the essence of Cornwall, the last fluent Cornish speaker is immortalised here.

Further photos I took of Mousehole can be viewed here,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboy...7634231038845/

Click on the thumbnails to view them larger.

Sent from my iPad
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd August 2014, 08:16 PM.

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by echo, derby View Post
    I wouldn't put my shirt on it, but the cover photo could be taken on the shores of 'Rutland Water'. Some other enlightened person may well prove me wrong.

Brilliant photos Del. We have come to expect nothing less.
    Congratulations on getting one published.
    Hi Echo

Yes you are correct, the photo on the front cover of the book is St Matthew's Church, Rutland Water, taken by a Paul Lemons.

I understand again according to the book, it is all that remains visible of the drowned estate houses of Normanton.

There is another full page photo of the church, the church backed with very atmospheric cloud cover..

Leave a comment:

• echo, derby
    replied
    Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
    Well done Delboy, it must most gratifying to see your photo being published. And it is a lovely one of Mouzel harbour, makes you want to go and visit there. I thought the cover photo was very good also...whoever that was by and wherever it was taken. Anyone recognise it?
    I wouldn't put my shirt on it, but the cover photo could be taken on the shores of 'Rutland Water'. Some other enlightened person may well prove me wrong.

Brilliant photos Del. We have come to expect nothing less.
    Congratulations on getting one published.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell Derby, Derby
    replied
    I'm not even vaguely surprised your photo was chosen, Del - we have the pleasure of them on here, so why shouldn't others share it??!!!

Cheers,
    Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Old Sea Dog, Stockport
    replied
    Congratulations and well done Delboy. Nice pics. Were they taken with your Lumix TZ40? Bought mine on your recommendation.

Cheers OSD

Leave a comment:

• tuggy, warminster
    replied
    Well done Delboy its nice to see your talent recognised in print, Here is another Village that's near me interesting history its not my work but nether the less it will be of interest to some.

Imber is an uninhabited village in part of the British Army's training grounds on the Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire, England. It is situated in an isolated area of the Plain, about 2.5 miles (4 km) west of the A360 road between Tilshead and West Lavington. The entire civilian population was evicted in 1943 to provide an exercise area for American troops preparing for the invasion of Europe during the Second World War. After the war, villagers were not allowed to return to their homes. The village, which is still classed as a civil parish, remains under the control of the Ministry of Defence despite several attempts by former residents to return. Non-military access is limited to several open days a year.

[Imber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=im...w=1012&bih=436

Leave a comment:

• Little Red Rouster, Lancaster
    replied
    Well done Delboy lovely photo. Mousehole is one of our favourite places in Cornwall.

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    A picture published and over a Million Views on flickr well done Delboy ,you should feel very proud of yourself....Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    A published author and now a published photographer. What a creative bunch on the forum!!

Not surprised though Delboy, all your photographs are wonderful. I am so useless, I take the short version of my camera manual with me when I go away.

Leave a comment:

• drewlin, wigan
    replied
    Congrats on the photos Delboy and getting them published - well done.

Leave a comment:

• Dancing Queen, Chesterfield
    replied
    Fabulous photo Derek, congrats on getting it published and what a lovely gesture for them to send you a copy of the book.

Leave a comment:

• Hampshire Thorn, Fareham
    replied
    Well done Delboy, your photos are outstanding. Hope you are feeling much better. Regards...........HT

Leave a comment:

• Happy, Wolverhampton
    replied
    It's a lovely photograph and deserves to be published. Hope you are taking care of yourself and recovering well from your OP.
    Last edited by Happy, Wolverhampton; 23rd August 2014, 10:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• Cruisegirl, United Kingdom
    replied
    Well done!!! Next you will be wanting a drone to take pics (my husband wants one but for a good one it is around a £1000 but the photo/video shots are AMAZING).

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by Pippa, Kernow View Post
    It comes as no surprise that your lovely photo was chosen for the book, Del. Congratulations! It's a smashing photo of the home of the famous Stargazy pie.
    Hi Pippa

Stargazy pie is also mentioned in the book, although they call it Starry Gazey Pie,, they say its to celebrate the exploits of a lone fisherman who, driven by the cries of starving children during a time of famine, defied the gales and caught enough fish to last Mousehole the whole of Christmas week. His only companion on the voyage was said to be a cat. It spawned a children's book, the Mousehole Cat, but then again that's said to be a legend.

I have seen the pie made on TV, did not appeal to me with all those heads and tails of pilchards poking out of the crust, but I understand there is a stampede by the locals to get a piece, served on a first come first served.
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd August 2014, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X