• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Extraordinary Villages" In the UK by Tony Francis ( not found on a cruise)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Extraordinary Villages" In the UK by Tony Francis ( not found on a cruise)

Nothing to do with cruising, today I received in the post a complimentary hardback copy of this 224 page book, entitled "Extraordinary Villages" in the UK, written by Tony Francis, who has produced and presented more than 500 countryside and wildlife programmes for TV, published by Merlin Unwin books. He has also been a high profile sports presenter on ITV. The book was also personally signed by the author.

Merlin Unwin Books

The reason I have been sent a complimentary copy, is because one of the villages he has written about is Mousehole in Cornwall, pronounced Mouzel and he has used one of my photo's to illustrate it in the book, for which I am highly chuffed. It has also given me something to read and view the other 177 photos, whilst I am temporary immobilised.

The picture is nothing special, here is a copy, but it looks much better in the book, it's just that out of probably thousands of photo's they could have used, they chose one of mine. Not the first time I have had a photo of mine used in this way, the first by this publisher.

Mousehole is the essence of Cornwall, the last fluent Cornish speaker is immortalised here.

Further photos I took of Mousehole can be viewed here,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboy...7634231038845/

Click on the thumbnails to view them larger.

Sent from my iPad
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd August 2014, 08:16 PM.
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Well done for getting published! We are always telling you how great your photos are but it must be very satisfying to see them in print....Carol

Comment

Well done Delboy! As Guy has already said, your photos are brilliant, I only wish mine were half as good.

I hope you're recovering well after your operation.

Comment

Well deserved Del.

I would go out on the pee (now you can) to celebrate...........Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I am always envious of not having the skill myself to take such fabulous photographs. Your photos are always so good... ours on the other hand, always a disaster with the modern cameras.

First of all I cant see the digital screen and guess I am aiming at the right thing, secondly they dont always commit to memory...hence on our latest cruise 4 days worth of photos completely missing and thirdly we just forget to use the camera!

Comment

Very well deserved, Del. You have an eye, for sure.

Wasn't Mousehole the place where the lifeboat was based that was lost in a big storm around Christmas time many years ago?

How did the publishers/author contact you? Where did they see it? Not being too nosy, I hope, but genuinely interested.

Comment

Well done Del. Great photo as always.

Back in the mid 70's I had some pictures used for the front page of the Club18-30 brochure. Although I received nothing in return, it was very satisfying to see my pics on the travel agents shelves.

Perhaps nowadays I should try Saga!!

Comment

Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
                Very well deserved, Del. You have an eye, for sure.

Wasn't Mousehole the place where the lifeboat was based that was lost in a big storm around Christmas time many years ago?

How did the publishers/author contact you? Where did they see it? Not being too nosy, I hope, but genuinely interested.
                Hi Max

To quote from the book " Mousehole have had two major disasters, the Torrey Canyon disaster of 1967 and the Penlee Lifeboat disaster of 1981. Sixteen people were killed in the latter - eight of them volunteer lifeboatmen from Mouse-hole and district. On December 19th all village lights are switched off to commemorate their bravery. As for the Torrey Cannon, it seems that several barrels of oil still sit on the seabed. According to Butts, the huge spill which killed thousands of seabirds and the badgers and foxes that ate them, could erupt again"

As you probably know from my links, a lot of my photos are shown on the Flik'r photo sharing site, on which I have an account. They operate a private message and EMail service, through which members can contact one another. The publishers sent me a message through this service, stating that they would like to use one of my photos in the forth coming publication of one of there books, and asked me if I would be interested. Other contacts have also come this way.

Like Harry, I have received nothing for them, it's just I am chuffed to think the publishers thought they were good enough to use.
                Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd August 2014, 06:46 PM.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Well done Delboy, it must most gratifying to see your photo being published. And it is a lovely one of Mouzel harbour, makes you want to go and visit there. I thought the cover photo was very good also...whoever that was by and wherever it was taken. Anyone recognise it?

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                    Well done Delboy, it must most gratifying to see your photo being published. And it is a lovely one of Mouzel harbour, makes you want to go and visit there. I thought the cover photo was very good also...whoever that was by and wherever it was taken. Anyone recognise it?
                    Thanks, and also to others who have commented, I obviously know where the cover photo was taken and by whom, and why it is considered an extraordinary place. Finding the book very interesting.
                    Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Beautiful photos with some dramatic cloud formations too. What a picturesque place Mousehole is. Well done. Also like the Scottish ones of the Trossachs (on Flickr) but I'm just a little bit biased!
                      Last edited by chanelle, alloa; 23rd August 2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Well done Delboy, you do take some super photos and I have looked at quite a few of them on flickr. A few years ago we had an email from someone in Australia to do with a tourist publication they were putting together. They asked for permission to use a photo my husband had taken in Anzac Square, Brisbane. This photo was also on flickr but unlike you we didn't get a copy of the publication. I thought that was quite generous to send you such a lovely book.
                        Beryl

Comment

It comes as no surprise that your lovely photo was chosen for the book, Del. Congratulations! It's a smashing photo of the home of the famous Stargazy pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa, Kernow View Post
                            It comes as no surprise that your lovely photo was chosen for the book, Del. Congratulations! It's a smashing photo of the home of the famous Stargazy pie.
                            Hi Pippa

Stargazy pie is also mentioned in the book, although they call it Starry Gazey Pie,, they say its to celebrate the exploits of a lone fisherman who, driven by the cries of starving children during a time of famine, defied the gales and caught enough fish to last Mousehole the whole of Christmas week. His only companion on the voyage was said to be a cat. It spawned a children's book, the Mousehole Cat, but then again that's said to be a legend.

I have seen the pie made on TV, did not appeal to me with all those heads and tails of pilchards poking out of the crust, but I understand there is a stampede by the locals to get a piece, served on a first come first served.
                            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd August 2014, 08:11 PM.
                            Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Well done!!! Next you will be wanting a drone to take pics (my husband wants one but for a good one it is around a £1000 but the photo/video shots are AMAZING).

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X