• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your hobby members please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy researching and planning holidays,but don’t really think of that as a hobby. I make jewellery and knit, and also use online sources to research family history. Our visits to UK always include trips to graveyards to find ancestors tombstones. Husband generally shares this interest, but he was not too impressed with walking around a village cemetery on the Lleyn Peninsular in pouring rain while I translated my great grandparents details using my rather sketchy Welsh. He would rather be sailing!

Comment

I will soon on have time for more hobbies as I have decided I am going to take early retirement. I have been toying with the idea for a while. I have over 3 years until I get my state pension but can't face working that long. My job is becoming more and more stressful. I haven't told anyone at work yet but it won't be long now. I enjoy cycling, yoga, knitting, reading, spending time with grandchildren, ballroom dancing and me of course holidays. My husband plays golf but I don't think I will be joining him. I will need to find a few more things to fill my days when I stop work. I might join the village WI. We have an amateur dramatics in the village which I may join too. I used to belong to one years ago so something to consider. Like to paint but not very good so I may join an art class. I would like to write a book, doesn't everyone? I have been to creative writing classes in the past and had a couple of articles published so who knows when I have more time.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
        Apart from being a golf nut together with a little cycling, it's classic cars. !950 MG TD, and 1959 Morris Traveller. Both in regular use.
        We share your interest in classic cars - we have a 1953 Morris Minor which we take out in the finest weather only. We love visiting classic car shows but rarely show our own as we find it hard to spare a whole day away from work to do so.

I also share Duncan's passion for board games and play regularly with friends. Strategy games are really popular in Germany in particular but don't seem common over here. They are very varied and go well beyond those most folk will know. It's a lovely way to spend an evening with friends. Next time Duncan and I are onboard at the same time we are thinking of bringing a few along to see if others want to join in.

Other than that my main hobby is history. I'd have loved to have made a career out of it but took a different path however it remains a lifelong passion which I pursue constantly whether it be reading, visiting sites, researching family history and writing the occasional article for publication.
        Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
          We share your interest in classic cars - we have a 1953 Morris Minor which we take out in the finest weather only. We love visiting classic car shows but rarely show our own as we find it hard to spare a whole day away from work to do so.
          That brings back memories. My very first car was a 1953 Morris Minor. It was more than twenty years old when my father bought it for my 21st birthday present. It had leather seats and a split windscreen. It had very low mileage and served me well for five years, until some inebriated Liverpool football fans drove into me. I wasn’t hurt, but because the car was so old the insurance company wouldn’t repair it.
          Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
            That brings back memories. My very first car was a 1953 Morris Minor. It was more than twenty years old when my father bought it for my 21st birthday present. It had leather seats and a split windscreen. It had very low mileage and served me well for five years, until some inebriated Liverpool football fans drove into me. I wasn’t hurt, but because the car was so old the insurance company wouldn’t repair it.
            Sheila
            Ours still has the original leather seats and the split windscreen. It's a convertible so perfect for this weather. It feels like a proper adventure just driving around the block in it!
            Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

I also share Duncan's passion for board games and play regularly with friends. Strategy games are really popular in Germany in particular but don't seem common over here. They are very varied and go well beyond those most folk will know. It's a lovely way to spend an evening with friends. Next time Duncan and I are onboard at the same time we are thinking of bringing a few along to see if others want to join in.
              I look forward to that very much!
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I rarely go to shows. My Traveller earns it's keep as a second car. It also has its original leather seats. and is in lovely condition. My MG is the fine weather car simply because it hasn't got a roof! I took the hood frame etc off to make more room for shopping, having never used it in 17 years.

Other than that my main hobby is history. I'd have loved to have made a career out of it but took a different path however it remains a lifelong passion which I pursue constantly whether it be reading, visiting sites, researching family history and writing the occasional article for publication.

Comment

Some really good posts by members, It is good that we can still find some quality time to do what we enjoy. I think its good to share different views on different topics.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yogini, Waterlooville;852627

I have said before that I enter online competitions while watching TV in the evening. That's where the Amazon credit came from.[/QUOTE]

I used to enter a lot of competitions before most of them were online, stamps and postcards! Are there special sites you use or is it random when you see something? Just wondering as back then I used to subscribe to a comping mag.

i also like photography, and can’t resist taking pics of sunsets and the ships we go on, usually from up high wherever we are

Comment

Originally posted by deverdevo, liverpool View Post
                      Well i thought i would ask members do they have a hobby, Myself i breed and race racing pigeons. I find it so relaxing and with it being a 365 day sport, it gives me things to do also in the winter. I also send my racing pigeons to race around the world. If i am needed to help in the home, i am only in the back garden. So being a full time carer this hobby works for me and my family. Do you have a hobby you enjoy?
                      I was sat on Dereham station ( a heritage railway in Norfolk) yesterday and Gill & I were discussing how homing pigeons get released now that they don't travel by train and get released by the guard. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

As for me, I have been building an N gauge model railway for years ( I doubt it will ever be finished). Gill (my wife) writes novels. She is currently on number 6. (Five are available on Kindle under the name Gillian Reed if you fancy a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
                        I was sat on Dereham station ( a heritage railway in Norfolk) yesterday and Gill & I were discussing how homing pigeons get released now that they don't travel by train and get released by the guard. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

As for me, I have been building an N gauge model railway for years ( I doubt it will ever be finished). Gill (my wife) writes novels. She is currently on number 6. (Five are available on Kindle under the name Gillian Reed if you fancy a good read.
                        Racing pigeons are now transported by racing pigeon transporters. wagons travel to marking stations around the Uk, and pick up the pigeon baskets to take to their races. The Wagons are fitted with a drinking system for the birds, also a food store. Some races are inland in the uk, or from France or Barcelona. The birds are taken in the transporter on to the ferry and then drove to their liberation point, when the weather is clear on the flight home the birds released to fly home. To give you a idea, as the bird fly from Barcelona to my racing loft is 876 miles. I hope this helps with you reply, Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by deverdevo, liverpool View Post
                          Racing pigeons are now transported by racing pigeon transporters. wagons travel to marking stations around the Uk, and pick up the pigeon baskets to take to their races. The Wagons are fitted with a drinking system for the birds, also a food store. Some races are inland in the uk, or from France or Barcelona. The birds are taken in the transporter on to the ferry and then drove to their liberation point, when the weather is clear on the flight home the birds released to fly home. To give you a idea, as the bird fly from Barcelona to my racing loft is 876 miles. I hope this helps with you reply, Thank you.
                          Thank you for the reply. Very interesting.

How long does it take a pigeon to do the 876 miles?

Comment

I dabble in antiques, it's taking up much more time since I retired, which is a good thing as it keeps me away from the computer. I am hugely interested in art, my daughter trades in art and I have learnt a lot over the past few years and still know little!

Love browsing antiiques shops when I am on holiday too.

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
                              Thank you for the reply. Very interesting.

How long does it take a pigeon to do the 876 miles?
                              Can be up to 3 days depending on wind direction, you need birds with the heart of a lion, That dont give up when the going gets a bit heavy with the north winds.
                              Last edited by deverdevo, liverpool; 3rd August 2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I don't really have time for too many hobbies, real life for me doesn't really provide that much free time. We do enjoy a spot of gardening and try and walk as often as time permits. As I spend too much time on my backside during the week we will often try and make an effort to get out both days at the weekend to achieve my 10,000 steps.

Besides that my blog is the only other thing I can think of along with the one that brings me here.
                                www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X