• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your home pet proof?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your home pet proof?

Last February, I introduced you all to Albert , our gorgeous funny standard poodle https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/768-f...ly-member.html

He's fine and growing into a beautiful lad though last November he tried to burn the house down! We used to shut him in the kitchen if we were out with his bed, food & water etc and made sure he was safe and secure. The hob had a pet/child guard on it. Some how, he still managed to ignite the back burner which set fire to the oven gloves which set fire to the cupboard and so on.

Thank goodness our daughter was on a day off and had only left him for half an hour but when she got home with her brother, the kitchen was properly on fire. They got the dog out and the fire brigade arrived in a few minutes . No one was hurt but it was all a bit shocking and a steep learning curve for us. Lots of smoke damage and soot everywhere .

We've always shut doors and been careful about electrics and fire safety but never imagined a dog would be able to set a house on fire. Our insurance company has been great and we are nearly straight .

Have your pets done anything like this? It's not as rare as you'd believe.
    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

No idea, and unlikely to find out as no animals would ever be allowed to enter!

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
      No idea, and unlikely to find out as no animals would ever be allowed to enter!

I know of a similar story and the dog received a red card.

Annie

Comment

Quite disturbing that there were flammable(anything really) materials in the region of the hob.

Comment

I'm glad you have nearly got it sorted now, it must have been really frightening at the time.

Our dog died 5 years ago, and I won't let my OH get another one, he was so good, we'd never get another one like him ...............Carol

Comment

As someone who home boards dogs I know exactly where you are coming from. Our home is given over to dogs downstairs.

We used to take the owners word on their dogs behaviour until a Belgian Shepherd did £4k worth of damage to our living room overnight. Now we have all dogs crated overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
              As someone who home boards dogs I know exactly where you are coming from. Our home is given over to dogs downstairs.

We used to take the owners word on their dogs behaviour until a Belgian Shepherd did £4k worth of damage to our living room overnight. Now we have all dogs crated overnight.
              I have a neighbour who has to crate the dog during the day even if someone is home.

Annie

Comment

When my labrador was a puppy, she chewed two tables, a dining chair, a kitchen unit drawer front and countless other items. She was instantly forgiven! My wife is determined we won't have another dog when she's gone. I'm determined I will! Trouble ahead methinks.

Comment

3 years ago we decided to get another dog , previously had a rescue dog , had her for 13 years and never ever even heard her bark she was so placid , This time we decided to get an older dog as we fell we are a bit too old for puppies now , Got her from The Dogs Trust , they said she as 11 then so now she is 14 , she has never been one bit of trouble , never tried to jump on to the furniture or the bed , love her to bits and she keeps me fit ,

Comment

I had a rabbit which was a kitchen rabbit so the kitchen was rabbit proofed. Couldn't let her into the main house as my husband has a severe allergy to fur.

Comment

My Daughter has two Great Danes, which can and do leap over the chair while your sat in it?
                      Nothing they like better than snuggling into you on a chair ? (Not much room) both loving but big dogs. The Bitch is nuts and eats anything, can open doors ,even cupboard doors with food behind, has eaten a full cream cake made for a charity event, Flowers which make her sick, and her latest ,a full packet of Cough sweets including packaging,Both love people but there size makes them dangerous when they jump up to lick you....Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

My son had a Dogue De Bordeaux , unfortunately he passed away after only living for 5 years , wonderful dog , all he wanted to do was to be as near to you as he could , always tried to sit on your feet , someone told me that these dogs hate being left on their own so they sit on your feet so you cant leave them , charming thought , don't know how true it is ,
                        One day my DIL had made a lovely buffet laid out in the kitchen the dog got in and ate everything except the olives , must have thought his birthday had come , Son and wife had an early night that night couldn't stand the smell from the dog , appealed to my sense of humour I thought it was hilarious.

Comment

Blimey thank goodness your daughter came home when she did! It must be the poodle, we've got two sproodles and the youngest one Paddington, I've never known a chewer like him.

But the the the most scary dangerous doggy story goes to our old black Labrador. He died 5 years ago. When he was a puppy, the cottage we lived in had hardly any electrical sockets in the kitchen. So if I wanted to use the washing machine I had to unplug the tumble dryer and vice versa.
                          One day I picked the plug up from tucked behind the tumble dryer and plugged it in to an already switched on plug socket. The next thing I knew I was sat on the floor a couple of feet backwards with pain going up my arm and burned fingers.

The little sh*t had chewed through the cable and without realising I'd touched the live wire as I plugged it in and got quite an electric shock.
                          Ive many other dog stories but that's the one that stands out.

Our three dogs now are in the utility when we are out and over night. The coat hooks have been moved further up the wall to stop Paddington from leaping up and pulling down the coats to lie on/chew.
                          Past cruises:
                          Carnival Conquest October 2002
                          Independence of the Seas October 2012
                          Independence of the Seas May 2014
                          Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                          Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
                            Blimey thank goodness your daughter came home when she did! It must be the poodle, we've got two sproodles and the youngest one Paddington, I've never known a chewer like him.

But the the the most scary dangerous doggy story goes to our old black Labrador. He died 5 years ago. When he was a puppy, the cottage we lived in had hardly any electrical sockets in the kitchen. So if I wanted to use the washing machine I had to unplug the tumble dryer and vice versa.
                            One day I picked the plug up from tucked behind the tumble dryer and plugged it in to an already switched on plug socket. The next thing I knew I was sat on the floor a couple of feet backwards with pain going up my arm and burned fingers.

The little sh*t had chewed through the cable and without realising I'd touched the live wire as I plugged it in and got quite an electric shock.
                            Ive many other dog stories but that's the one that stands out.

Our three dogs now are in the utility when we are out and over night. The coat hooks have been moved further up the wall to stop Paddington from leaping up and pulling down the coats to lie on/chew.
                            Yes, Albert has chewed a couple of chargers too which we had to replace. We tried leaving him in the hall once but the git also pulled the coats down to lie on!
                            It was a total accident that the oven gloves were near the job. We used to put them up on the work top with the tea towels out of his reach because he used to chew them.
                            BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

These days we just have 2 cats in the house (down from our peak of 5 cats). The house isn't cat proof. If we have anything we want to keep from damage (handbag, laptop bags, anything leather) we hang out of reach. We make it safe for them but if anything else gets damaged due to scratching then it's our problem as they are only exhibiting natural behaviour. It's their house as well as ours and they don't know when they are doing wrong. They know not to do it whilst we are there but in a cat's mind it is OK if no one is looking.

Anyone visiting should ignore the stripped blown vinyl wallpaper in the downstairs loo - I'll get round to re-decorating in due course with something more cat-friendly.....
                              Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X