• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robin's Red Breast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robin's Red Breast

Now's the time to notice robins, especially as we will be hosting thousands of visiting ones from Scandinavia, all striving to survive a winter with at least five foraging hours of daylight, instead of endless night. Robins are the only birds to sing throughout the winter; sadly, because of street lighting they sometimes weaken by believing it's morning- I've heard robins at 2am.
    My local robin hides under the hedge, waiting for me to throw sultanas to black birds... then in she creeps and pinches one right under their beaks...
    I once watched two robins fighting for possession of an area, and, sadly, one died. A robin will only survive if it has food, water and shelter, so must flash her red breast as a warning... which is the reason for the red colour.
    I hope you all will have a robin in your garden over Christmas, as they do seem to be part of Christmas.
    Jo.

We have a couple at the half way house of our golf club, they will sit on the ends of the tables and grab any crumbs of sausage rolls etc, they are both very tame, one however only has one leg.

We refill our bird feeders very frequently at this time of year, any tips for stopping the magpies eating all the peanuts?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
      Now's the time to notice robins, especially as we will be hosting thousands of visiting ones from Scandinavia, all striving to survive a winter with at least five foraging hours of daylight, instead of endless night. Robins are the only birds to sing throughout the winter; sadly, because of street lighting they sometimes weaken by believing it's morning- I've heard robins at 2am.
      My local robin hides under the hedge, waiting for me to throw sultanas to black birds... then in she creeps and pinches one right under their beaks...
      I once watched two robins fighting for possession of an area, and, sadly, one died. A robin will only survive if it has food, water and shelter, so must flash her red breast as a warning... which is the reason for the red colour.
      I hope you all will have a robin in your garden over Christmas, as they do seem to be part of Christmas.
      These are a few photo's of a Robin who has regularly been visiting our garden. Took these in September.

Not very clear, but grabbed the camera
      and took this photo of a Robin who visited our balcony whilst we were at sea on a Mediterranean cruise.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We are very fortunate with the variety of birds coming to our garden. Our bird feeder is very well used and filled daily. Sadly, in some ways, our visitors include a sparrowhawk which takes birds from the garden. I'm torn between protecting the other birds by ditching the bird feeder, and helping them by keeping it. On balance, I've decided to keep it on the basis that this is nature, and sparrowhawks are entitled to eat too!

Comment

I love seeing our feathered friends in the garden. I do put food out for them but the most frequent visitors tend to be some wood pigeons that my hubby has taken a shine to. We also love the blackbirds that nest in a laurel next to our garden. Robin bobs along as well and we get blue tits and grey tits and sparrows etc. Years ago we used to get thrushes but not as frequently now as there is a sparrowhawk or two in the neighbourhood.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
            We have a couple at the half way house of our golf club, they will sit on the ends of the tables and grab any crumbs of sausage rolls etc, they are both very tame, one however only has one leg.

We refill our bird feeders very frequently at this time of year, any tips for stopping the magpies eating all the peanuts?

John
            Shotgun?

Comment

Since moving we sadly see very little of the local bird's apart from those dreadful Gull's,When we had the Bungalow we had a good selection of birds including a couple of robin's,
              This was the rarest Bird we saw .Grabbed the camera as it landed on the fence looking for a meal.
              ​Taffy

Comment

We have a robin who always comes down when my husband turns the soil for planting he does it every year after the worms , we have a little bird bath which the birds enjoy I love to see the hake their wings and we also put food out for them , the only problem is the seagulls which we have to shoo away .
                There are primroses and forgetmenots flowering, plus the Azalias , roses and geraniums are still flowering plus a few more, we didn't have snow ut a terrible cold wind blowing off of the sea , but they survived,, now the little potted hyacinth are flowering and they are so fragrant.CG
                sigpic

Comment

Hi all
                  Our house backs on to woodland,,,we have all kinds of birds visit,,,Robins are very protective territorially,it's more usuall to see only one,they will fight like heck to protect their turf.
                  I must admit the Robin along with the Jay are my favourite.

We stopped putting food out on the bird table etc 12 months ago,,,,why ? Rats! ...A huge thing 10" long.
                  Only one running back and too across the bottom of the garden and feeding on the dropped food from the bird table.
                  It even stood looking at my when I tried to decapitate it with a spade.

Now I don't mind mice,,a family of Field Mice live in the greenhouse over winter,,,and I get the odd few in the house (I got one last week),,traps still laid,but got no more,,,no more holes in the apples!!

But Rats,,I hate them,,,council came out and laid bait last year,none seen since,,but guy advised no more nuts and scraps on the bird table.

Its great to watch the wildlife in the woods,,but the downside is Rats trying to find somewhere warm in the winter,,usually under neighbours sheds.

Anyone else suffer?...The saying goes 'You are never more than 6' from a Rat'.

JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Robins and pigeons the most common visitors to our garden, although have had goldfinches, and greenfinches and one time a sparrowhawk ripping up a pigeon. We have red kites around here and daily they can be watched flying around rooftop height hunting.

Hardly ever see a rat where we are, probably not enough food. Although we have had black squirrels at the end of the garden.
                    Field mice under our decking but only once did we get one in the house.
                    When we were in Southampton last, we stayed the night and went for a walk in Palmerston Park, was amazed, never seen so many rats in my life. Early evening the whole park was swarming with them

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                      Hi all
                      Our house backs on to woodland,,,we have all kinds of birds visit,,,Robins are very protective territorially,it's more usuall to see only one,they will fight like heck to protect their turf.
                      I must admit the Robin along with the Jay are my favourite.

We stopped putting food out on the bird table etc 12 months ago,,,,why ? Rats! ...A huge thing 10" long.
                      Only one running back and too across the bottom of the garden and feeding on the dropped food from the bird table.
                      It even stood looking at my when I tried to decapitate it with a spade.

Now I don't mind mice,,a family of Field Mice live in the greenhouse over winter,,,and I get the odd few in the house (I got one last week),,traps still laid,but got no more,,,no more holes in the apples!!

But Rats,,I hate them,,,council came out and laid bait last year,none seen since,,but guy advised no more nuts and scraps on the bird table.

Its great to watch the wildlife in the woods,,but the downside is Rats trying to find somewhere warm in the winter,,usually under neighbours sheds.

Anyone else suffer?...The saying goes 'You are never more than 6' from a Rat'.

JC
                      Hi JC

Our garden backs on to the local Green Party candidates garden, he has turned what was a very large garden laid to lawn and fruit trees into Steptoes Yard Including chickens, and a stagnant pond. Fruit on the trees is left to rot, some falling into our garden, behind the fence is full of garden waste and a number of rusty cages, it's a complete mess.

I was sitting in our conservatory during the summer messing about with my camera, it was not until I had taken the photo below and looking at it did I notice the visitor on the patio in the photo, being watched by the one eared stone cat.😄

We are sure it came from Mr Greens garden. Have contacted council re state of the garden, nothing they can do, only put us in touch with a pest control company. Not seen any since.

Have evicted 5 mice from our bungalow over a number of weeks, 3 downstairs and 2 in the loft, we have a humain mouse trap set up in the loft, but like you gave seen no more. I evict them from the traps about half mile away from our home into a hedgerow.

One night we had two mice in our bedroom playing football with the conkers my wife puts down to keep the spiders at bay, they were underneath the wardrobe banging the conkers up against the skirting board.😄

Strange thing is I have never seen any mouse droppings, probably due to lack of food they can get to in doors, the conkers were last years so we're like rocks.

Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 18th December 2017, 08:11 PM.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

In addition to the Robin I posted earlier, Here are photos of a few other birds I have taken in our garden during the summer, plus a squirrel.

J
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

In addition to the Robin I posted earlier, Here are photos of a few other birds I have taken in our garden during the summer, plus a squirrel.

Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Fantastic pictures, D... you've certainly got the eye for this!
                            Sparrow hawks only exist where there's a healthy mix of birds, and they will take down a pigeon, but it's upsetting when they take a bird as you're feeding it!
                            I have about 10 blackbirds which queue for sultanas outside the back door when they hear movement from inside the house... I recognise one female because her throat is whiter than the others, and she was a chick out of the nest by the door. If I don't feed her, she will come through the open door.
                            There will be a mix of Scandinavian birds in what we're all feeding now- sometimes male blackbirds from there don't have the yellow eye ring
                            Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X