• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your Pet Miss You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your Pet Miss You?

Would your pet try to go with you or stop you packing.

Refuse to say Goodbye.

Just make it hard to leave.

Photos of miserable pets watching their owners pack for holiday* | Daily Mail Online
    More pictures from pet owners in the link.
    We dog sit for our Daughter which helps both them and the dog ,better than being in kennels for some pets.
    Do you have problems with pets ,when you go on holiday...Taffy
    ​Taffy

They could try and come with you.??

Taffy
    ​Taffy

Comment

Good thread, Taffy.

Mrs B and my girls get jittery at the thought of leaving our dog every time we're away. He (the dog) is a very skilled emotional blackmailer, who knows exactly what buttons to push to get them (ok, us) all fawning over him. He starts immediately the loft ladder is dropped signifying the cases are being brought down.

We have an aunty now who comes to stay who spoils him more than we do (he put on a kilo in 3 weeks!!) so the dog gets the best of both worlds but still behaves like a sulking teenager.

Comment

Our dog Ice died 3 years ago, and my OH and son were so upset, I won't let them get another one.

However when we did used to go away, our niece would look after Ice and when we came back he would act like he didn't know us, and ignore my OH, only for about 20 minutes then he used to go crazy, so Yes, I think pets do miss you when you go away..................Carol

Comment

No - but I don't keep a pet

I used to have pets when younger and I remember asking neighbours and friends to look after our menagerie - too much work! So no pets as an adult - been there, done that, don't need another t shirt.

Annie

Comment

Got ourselves lovely collie cross rescue dog in February ( Toots ) fortunately my neighbours asked me if I would like them to look after her when we go away at Xmas big relief , that's the only problem with having a dog . although we both feel a lot better healthwise with all the walking we do now .

Comment

The pictures of pets in the suitcase is exactly what our two cats do every time during packing week.

I must take some piccies next time we pack.............Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

Awww, those photos are SO heart-wrenching

No chance with ours, though - Rancourous Cat doesn't do that kind of thing, even though friends' cats have sat on our cases to stop us leaving when we've visited

Anyone wanna cat??!!!

Cheers,
                Lynn

Comment

Most of our married life we have had pets, at one time we had 4 cats and an Airdale dog. We no longer have any and we certainly do miss them, but our children have pets, so we make do with theirs, dog sitting our son & DIL's two dogs for a couple of hours most days during the week.

My wife recently spent a week staying overnight whilst son and DIL were away on holiday, she loved it. They certainly missed our son and DIL judging by the fuss the dogs made of them when they returned, even although my wife spoilt them rotten.

The first photo is of Molly watching me eat this was taken whilst our son and his wife were away, the white one is called Alfie, they are always referred to as the puppies.

Will be seeing them to day when we all visit our daughters for a dinner with all our immediate family, dogs will also be attending.

Think you will agree would need two very large suitcases for these two to get in.

Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 30th August 2015, 12:35 PM.
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Oh taffy I read this in the d.m and it melted my heart looking at the photos. Anyone who read my explorer review will know the trauma we had before holiday this year.
                    Leaving our animals is heart wrenching. I spend all year looking forward to my holiday only to spend the week before totally disinterested and no longer wanting to go.
                    Our dogs have done the whole sad Sam eyes trick when the cases come out of the loft. Our retriever Jac the last two years has commandeered my slippers when we've gone away, never for them to be seen again. The cats climb in the cases.
                    We have 7 horses, 4 dogs, 3 cats (one lives next door with the in laws) 2 ducks, 4 pigs and half a dozen chucks. Leaving instructions for them and arranging their care is like a military operation. It's the dogs that seem to understand the most, being unsettled before we go and who are happiest to see us return.

We now make sure we greet the dogs and fuss them outside when we return because after returning from our first cruise in 2012 we made the mistake of fussing them in the kitchen. Our old Labrador Mollie who is nearly 13 now, was so excited to see us that she ran around the kitchen (my brand new less than one month old New kitchen) weeing as she ran. She was beside herself with joy. The more we tried to calm her down the more she wee'd! Funny looking back but I was mortified at the time!
                    Past cruises:
                    Carnival Conquest October 2002
                    Independence of the Seas October 2012
                    Independence of the Seas May 2014
                    Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                    Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

My daughter's husband needed to have his car serviced before the end of guarantee and the nearest dealer was a 400km drive away from where they are currently living in Australia. They decided to make a long weekend of it and stay for a couple of nights in nice hotel instead of a dog friendly place. Their dog has never been in kennels and is spoilt rotten, but my daughter found a place where they were going that sounded suitable. The accommodation had a single human size bed with cover and matching curtains - also TV - air-con - own fenced garden with hard surface and grassed area with a tree for shade. I'm happy to say, the dog did survive this ordeal!! Beryl

Comment

We run a business looking after other peoples dogs in our own home while they go on holiday. Trust me, it's even more heart wrenching when the owners return from holiday for their dog and the dog DOESN'T want to go home

This happens all the time and we reassure owners that the dogs been on holiday too and they don't want to leave the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
                          We run a business looking after other peoples dogs in our own home while they go on holiday. Trust me, it's even more heart wrenching when the owners return from holiday for their dog and the dog DOESN'T want to go home

This happens all the time and we reassure owners that the dogs been on holiday too and they don't want to leave the fun.
                          I would love to do this.
                          Past cruises:
                          Carnival Conquest October 2002
                          Independence of the Seas October 2012
                          Independence of the Seas May 2014
                          Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                          Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

I have two little dogs, Hamish, a 9 yr. old Westie, and Barney, a 2 yr old rescue dog - a 5 kilo scruffy mongrel, but absolutely adorable and daft as a brush.
                            We always have a dog/house sitter, my cleaner. The boys are used to her being in the house.
                            When the cases come out they never leave my side, following me everywhere.
                            The minute Sheila arrives, I am no longer of any importance.
                            It takes them all their time to say goodbye.
                            They do go absolutely mad when I come back home

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post

Sounds absolutely fantastic. Lucky those that live near you. Beryl

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X