• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying cat!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy, Ormskirk
    started a topic Flying cat!

Flying cat!

I was sitting here with a cup of coffee when a dark shape went flying past the French windows and landed with a thump on the decking. My beautiful Bengal had jumped out of the first floor bedroom window.

He seems fine if a little subdued, sat for a few minutes and seemed a bit wary when walking but is now curled up on a cushion snoring.

Any other kamikaze pets or pets living dangerously?...Carol
    Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 20th August 2015, 11:34 AM.

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Are you sure?..

I watched a programme about cats recently and they were filming them dropping from great heights to show the ability to twist in mid air and land on their feet.

I quite agree though that vets aren't great at getting the dead ones back on their feet....Carol

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    They don't throw cats off buildings they look at the ones that fall and end up at the vets.

This skews the data set because dead ones tend not to get to the vets.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    I have always been concerned at just how they arrived at those statistics. There must be a point were significant injuries happened all in the interest of science .Carol

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Cat are far less wimpy than their owners.

Tests have been done and cats can survive fall from any height(although can be quite seriously injured).

The self righting reflex means they can land feet down from any height that would cause damage otherwise.

They also have a very low terminal velocity and may have a secondary relax reflex to reduce velocity and protect legs.

a reasonable explanation here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-rise_syndrome

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear
    replied
    We had a cat called Gypsy (not my choice of name she was inherited) & she was horrendous for jumping. Like Carol I was sitting at the window when out of the corner of my eye a black thing hurtled down. Looked out & there she was sitting looking a bit perplexed. She never did it again though.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Me too, I am now keeping the window closed as I am worried he might try it again after surviving the first attempt. Three stories is scary.....Carol

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    My neighbours lovely large ginger cat, who we look after when she goes away, decided to try and jump from her bedroom window, problem is we are three stories up!!

Fortunately we have landscaped grounds so he landed on grass! Amazingly unscathed, what a trouper!! He hasn't tried it again though!

Glad your cat is OK Carol.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Horrible lads but good for Buster. 19 years is a good innings but I bet you missed him.

Cats just can't seem to resist a challenge, Jasper had been itching to get through that window all summer..Carol

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Years Ago we had a Cat Named Buster ,who loved to torment dogs?
    We had a dog at the time and they got on fine but Buster was the boss.
    We lived in Manchester at the time and the neighbours Lad and his friend decided to set this lurcher on to Buster,and had a bet the dog would catch him ,(the dog was a good rabbit chaser?) so Buster took flight with this dog in chase,having run round the garden ,Buster legs it up a tree with the dog trying to jump up and get him.
    Buster found the safe distance away from the dog and climbed down the tree sat on a branch tormenting the dog, these two lads could not believe the cats nerve,he kept just out of distance hissing and spitting at the dog until he gave up.Buster came out of the tree as if nothing had happened .
    Lovely cat we had him for nearly 19 years until he had to be put down due to having cancer...Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Yogini, Waterlooville
    replied
    My cat jumped onto the bathroom window ledge from the extension roof. She slightly misjudged, and ended up on the patio. She didn't seem to be hurt, which was good as she had a heart murmer. My latest cat hasn't done anything that silly as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• Diva18, UK
    replied
    Years ago, in our first home, we had a French door leading out to the garden and the previous owners had installed sliding secondary glazing internally, probably DIY as it turned out not to be safety, toughened glass. One day the secondary glazing was slightly open a few inches but the French door was completely open.

The crash we heard was our labrador who had headed right through the partially open glass sliding door when he saw a cat in the garden. He got away lightly with just a small cut on his nose. We were in the process of getting quotations for a replacement proper double glazed unit at the time!

Leave a comment:

• cymrucruiser
    replied
    Oh bless him, glad he is ok, I bet he got a shock!
    Yup got a few animals that are a bit inclined to be loopy!!

Leave a comment:

• jan lowden, sunderland (2)
    replied
    My SIL,s cat fell out of her first floor flat and was very poorly for weeks,Thankfully she (the cat,poppy) made a full recovery,Needless to say she has,ent bothered poking her head out since!! Jan.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    I am hoping the decking had a bit of spring so slightly cushioned the fall, but you are right one down and eight to go..Carol

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X