• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St Ives and the Gulls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Ives and the Gulls?

This is a link to a piece in the Telegraph .
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalis...ves-beach.html

St Ives is not the only place plagued with the winged rats .
    Rhyl has a similar problem ,we are overrun with the blighters,they have tried every thing ,putting bunting up over the main shopping area worked for a while.People still feed them on the prom and any car parking there will soon get a few Gulls begging,they have figured how to get stuff out of the Gull proof litter bins.
    Prestatyn is not much better and the new shopping park is starting to attract them ,due to visitors feeding them.
    Last week we went to New Brighton hardly any Gulls at all ,yet plenty of people eating on the beach and prom?
    Is your area plagued with Seagulls or other birds...Taffy
    ​Taffy

Hi Taffy

I visited St Ives in 2011?? and saw the distress they caused. Largs on the Clyde coast also suffers.

Solution - I have none but humans do insist on feeding them - why?? maybe it is the humans we have to train Fine humans who feed the gulls.

Annie

Comment

Here in sunny Sunderland we have our fair share of the beasts,nicking pasties off kiddies etc,However,we came back from Cardiff last week,and our taxi driver was telling us about a seagull at the train station nicknamed Norman,who has been (almost) trained to swoop down onto a workers hand when he is holding a greggs pasty!! It,s coming folks,the time is coming!!! We need to cull them and stop feeding them. Jan.

Comment

Hi Jan and Annie,
        Some places issue fines for feeding them, its a pity more places do not do the same.
        Clever birds though they can figure out wher to go for a free meal...Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
          Hi Jan and Annie,
          Some places issue fines for feeding them, its a pity more places do not do the same.
          Clever birds though they can figure out wher to go for a free meal...Taffy
          Hi Taffy,

They ought to fine them around here! All is well until idiots arrive and chuck breadcrumbs etc... around for them, even having enticed them, throwing the food in the air for them too catch & then photographing each other doing it!

To make the problem worse, all this food has attracted masses of large crows who try and see the seagulls off. So we have both! I really would like to see large fines for feeding any wild birds! In any event it is not their natural diet! Humans are the problem!
          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

St Ives in Cornwall being one of our favourite places, we try to visit at least once a year, unfortunately not this year.

I have had first hand experience of the St Ives seagulls, I remember one year walking out of an ice cream parlour, with my ice cream cone and a double scoop of ice cream, when from no where, one came up from behind me and took the whole lot out out my hand, cone as well as ice cream. It was gone in seconds, before I had chance to try it. ( was away before I could even photograph it. )

There are notices everywhere in St Ives not to feed the seagulls, which are enormous, much larger than those we have in sunny Costa Clacton. I have never heard of anybody having food pinched by them here.

Unfortunately we also have people who regularly feed them, we have a large greensward along part of our seafront, where the seagull's seem to congregate. You often see some of the locals with there bags of bread, feeding them.

A couple of photos of St Ives

St Ives Bay, as viewed from the Tregenna Castle Hotel St Ives.

St Ives as viewed from the St Earth to St Ives branch line, named as one of the most scenic railway rides in the UK.

Just thought I would also include a couple of Sunny Costa Clacton.

Sent from my iPad
            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 19th August 2014, 06:42 PM.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
              Hi Taffy,

They ought to fine them around here! All is well until idiots arrive and chuck breadcrumbs etc... around for them, even having enticed them, throwing the food in the air for them too catch & then photographing each other doing it!

To make the problem worse, all this food has attracted masses of large crows who try and see the seagulls off. So we have both! I really would like to see large fines for feeding any wild birds! In any event it is not their natural diet! Humans are the problem!
              Hi Lizzie.
              The Birds can look after themselves they become reliant on us to feed them, not find there own food.
              We have friends who go and buy bread just to feed the birds,I asked them have you got loads of dead birds on your lawn when you come back off holiday,they never have the birds find food elsewhere.
              Like you we have a Blackbirds and this year there were more than ever ,but all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago they all disappeared,we have no dawn chorus and very few birds flying about .Hope its not a sign of bad weather to come...Taffy
              ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                St Ives in Cornwall being one of our favourite places, we try to visit at least once a year, unfortunately not this year.

I have had first hand experience of the St Ives seagulls, I remember one year walking out of an ice cream parlour, with my ice cream cone and a double scoop of ice cream, when from no where, one came up from behind me and took the whole lot out out my hand, cone as well as ice cream. It was gone in seconds, before I had chance to try it. ( was away before I could even photograph it. )

There are notices everywhere in St Ives not to feed the seagulls, which are enormous, much larger than those we have in sunny Costa Clacton. I have never heard of anybody having food pinched by them here.

Unfortunately we also have people who regularly feed them, we have a large greensward along part of our seafront, where the seagull's seem to congregate. You often see some of the locals with there bags of bread, feeding them.

A couple of photos of St Ives

St Ives Bay, as viewed from the Tregenna Castle Hotel St Ives.

St Ives as viewed from the St Earth to St Ives branch line, named as one of the most scenic railway rides in the UK.

Just thought I would also include a couple of Sunny Costa Clacton.

Sent from my iPad
                Thanks for the pictures Delboy ,very nice as usual.
                I have found out and been in touch with some relatives who live in St Ives so we may well get to visit there next year ,your pictures make it look a very attractive place..taffy
                ​Taffy

Comment

Same problem here, most of us have had to invest in nets laid behind the chimney to stop them nesting, the council sells gull proof bags, but these idiots won't stop feeding them, and yes they have prosecuted locals who do, they need culling or their eggs taken out of the nests they are a menace. CG
                  sigpic

Comment

About a month ago, I visited Hastings, home of the largest beach landed fishing fleet in Europe.

The area around the fish market is a great place for buying fresh fish, but you run the gauntlet getting from the car to the market, without being bombed or attacked by the huge seagull population.

In spite of many notices along the seafront advising visitors not to feed the gulls, many people were actively doing so.

Comment

I understand that bread isn't very good for birds anyway!
                      sigpic

Comment

here on IOW got various gulls but not a problem, they either follow fishing boats or head off to the mainland rubbish tips. The rooks and crows seem to keep them in order.

Comment

My sister had a seagull land on her head when she was eating an icecream in St Ives and seagulls jumped on my husband to nick his fish and chips from the very nice chipshop just off Mevagissey harbour..they don't wait for you to feed them, they do takeaway!

Comment

Originally posted by liauq, w mids View Post
                            My sister had a seagull land on her head when she was eating an icecream in St Ives and seagulls jumped on my husband to nick his fish and chips from the very nice chipshop just off Mevagissey harbour..they don't wait for you to feed them, they do takeaway!
                            They have a taste for Greggs pasties round here.
                            I am told bread soaked in a fizzy drink is used by pigeon fanciers to get rid of them..Taffy
                            ​Taffy

Comment

Most gulls are opportunistic, and we give them the opportunities....The number of young raised on cliffs, away from people is significantly less than the ones tempted into towns and rubbish dumps.
                              I saw a man feeding a herring gull under a "No Feeding" sign on Whitehaven harbour....and he was pleased to tell anyone going past that he'd bought fish and chips deliberately for the gulls.
                              I admire gulls, and remember how we used to clamber on to balconies pricking eggs, when I lived in Whitby, and how we've seen them nesting in unlikely spots, including between anti-gull spikes....I'm quietly amused at how they just come back even stronger....
                              Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X