• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our Wild Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jocap, Cumbria
    started a topic Our Wild Life

Our Wild Life

We came home on Friday, to find everything in the garden had doubled in size....and discovered that there are two baby fawns in the water meadow. We haven't seen them, but our neighbour came for a stroll and was barked at by one of the mothers. We went to look today, but the brambles and nettles under the trees are vast now, so we couldn't see without disturbing them.
    The woodpeckers I've been feeding all winter have taken over a stone seat just outside the door where they feed their young, and I've just been outside to remove the bread which the pheasants didn't eat tonight, and the fox was standing over it, so I've come back inside. Swallows are nesting in the old byres, and bats stream out of the roof almost in procession at twilight.
    It might be a quiet neighbourhood, but the garden's certainly busy!

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    All winter and slightly less often now we have had a stag and hind spending the night in our front garden. It is surrounded by a 12 foot hedge and obviously makes them feel safer, no sign of youngsters yet though. The neighbours complain a little because they trend to eat any new shrubs, love roses other flowers but they do leave some fertilizer as payment. The only thing they eat of ours is the spotted laurel and the grass. That’s a fair exchange for the pleasure. .....Neil

Leave a comment:

• Calgray, Yorkshire
    replied
    Sounds just my kind of place Jo!

Would just love the fawns... Pics please if you get the chance.

Bats, rabbits, foxes, Moorhens and 7 chicks also loads of bee's (as well, Lacey)

Pheasants that wake us up each morning with their noisy calls.

No more kids from our neighbours resident pygmy goats. Think they have drawn a line at having 7. Had our foster sheep Billy shorn a few weeks ago and left his fleece in the open. So at least he has provided some great nesting material. Seen lot's of Mistle thrushes but no Song thrush this year. His song was soooo beautiful. I have to say also not seen as many Swallows.

Enjoy your beautiful almost magical gardens.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Everything in the garden is certainly growing fast, but lack of sunshine means lack of flowers on ours. Very healthy foliage though. I can almost see the vines growing and they need tying in every other day. Not much in the way of wildlife except the occasional rat and grey squirrels, but quite a lot of birds. We had mallards on the pond once, they don't half make a mess!

Leave a comment:

• BigMac, Glasgow
    replied
    "Our WILD life" - What a disappointment! I clicked on the topic hoping to read about your lurid goings on behind closed doors, and all I got was a story about a garden nearly as bad as ours.

Stewart

Leave a comment:

• trevor432990, East Sussex
    replied
    Sounds like you could start your own Naturewatch programme there Jo. By contrast my garden is quite small but my water trough attracts the local foxes for a drink and I get several varieties of birds too but at my previous house a deer used to come into the garden and I had bats there as well.

Leave a comment:

• Lacey, Wirral
    replied
    Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
    We came home on Friday, to find everything in the garden had doubled in size....and discovered that there are two baby fawns in the water meadow. We haven't seen them, but our neighbour came for a stroll and was barked at by one of the mothers. We went to look today, but the brambles and nettles under the trees are vast now, so we couldn't see without disturbing them.
    The woodpeckers I've been feeding all winter have taken over a stone seat just outside the door where they feed their young, and I've just been outside to remove the bread which the pheasants didn't eat tonight, and the fox was standing over it, so I've come back inside.

Swallows are nesting in the old byres, and bats stream out of the roof almost in procession at twilight.

It might be a quiet neighbourhood, but the garden's certainly busy!
    What a nice home coming Jo, i've lots of bees, the occasional bat and a fox in my suburban garden but not got a fawn! Look forward to a picture when you spot them.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X