• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pity the poor seabirds. :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pity the poor seabirds. :(

It's been reported on our local BBC news for a day or two now that seabirds are being washed ashore along the South coast covered in some kind of sticky oily substance. Increasing numbers are dead. Reports are undecided as to what kind of oil it is and from where it came. However, even if we may never find the source, it's still distressing seeing our poor seabirds being affected in this way.

BBC News - 'Refined mineral oils' blamed for bird contamination
    Last edited by Pippa, Kernow; 1st February 2013, 06:56 PM.

Yes, really hope they can identify the root cause quickly and eradicate any further contamination.
    Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Full marks to the dedicated people who are working so hard to save as many birds as possible. I hope the cause of the problem can be found and stopped before too many innocent birds die.
      Oriana
      Oceana
      Ventura
      Queen Mary 2
      Queen Victoria
      Queen Elizabeth

Comment

It should be failrly straight forward to find the culprit,it is now thought that it is not fuel oil but the remains of a cargo of mineral oils that has been dumped whilst washing out tanks.If the cargo has been discharged anywhere on the European mainland then someone will have samples and the idiot will be found.
        jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
          It should be failrly straight forward to find the culprit,it is now thought that it is not fuel oil but the remains of a cargo of mineral oils that has been dumped whilst washing out tanks.If the cargo has been discharged anywhere on the European mainland then someone will have samples and the idiot will be found.
          jim
          But with the recent gales it could have come from anywhere. They think it is some sort of palm oil - harmful to the environment in more ways than one it would appear.

Comment

At least this is relatively isolated incident, at least in the UK, sad and unnecessary though it is.

At the end of last year I missed the shuttle bus in Civitavechio and consequently walked back to my cruise ship through the port. En route I passed about 12 trawlers tied up with, on the quayside, mounds of micro (10-15mm) nylon fishing nets waiting to be reloaded. I thought such nets were illegal within the EU but apparently not. Just imagine the sealife that gets randomly scooped up in these nets and, without a doubt, then left to die as unwanted 'waste'.
            Then multiply it by the thousands of fishing boats world-wide.

Comment

Originally posted by SandieA, Torbay View Post
              But with the recent gales it could have come from anywhere. They think it is some sort of palm oil - harmful to the environment in more ways than one it would appear.
              Palm oil,main exporters ..West Africa and Pacific islands.palm oil tends to freeze in cold weather,so heating coils are fitted in the cargo tanks to keep it liquid,so while the sludge was still liquid some ragbag of a ch.officer would have it pumped over the side probably as part of a steam cleaning cycle.
              As a cadet it was our duty to go down these cargo tanks and scrape this horrible cling stuff off the tanks sides(and in the 50s60s )haul it up to the deck and chuck it over the side.
              I am positive that they will find the idiot who caused the wildlife disaster.

Jim

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X