• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappearing Birds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing Birds

I have just been watching to-day's midday news. Included in it was an article about the state of the worlds bird population. It would appear that 50% of the world bird population has disappeared in the last 20 years. At great risk in Britain are our Sparrows and Turtle Doves. It made me think, I have not see so many House Martins or Swallows about in recent years either. The reason being, I realised, was that most of the houses in the street had replaced their old wooden suffixes with the new plastic ones, blocking up the gaps between the roof and rafters, thereby stopping the birds nesting under the eaves. We do not note the gradual changes happening all around us, until it is brought to our attention, when it may then be too late to halt them.

Have you noticed any decline in your garden bird population at all?

John

We do the RSPB garden bird survey every year and over the past 3 years or so there does appear to be fewer birds visiting the garden.But as a snapshot of one garden you cannot read anything into that.If you are really interested you can look on the RSPB website and no doubt check their survey results.You can gain more information as it covers the whole country.

Comment

I have seen fewer magpies this year. I wonder if the increase in the urban fox population is not also a factor??

Also rare in my part of the world this year has been wasps.

Now if I could sort out the squirrels

Annie

Comment

Overflowing with Magpies down this neck of the woods Annie ... only see sparrows occassionally but plenty of Green Finches, Blue/Great/ Coal tits, Chaffinch, Hedge Sparrow, Robins, Blackbirds. Less frequently also see Thrushes, Nightingales, Woodpeckers. Squirrels have given up since I bought a new squirrel proof bird feeder, saw a white squirrel in the local park once cute critter.

Comment

I remember the 'Dawn chorus' from my younger days. Lucky if we hear a few birds singing now.
          I have noticed that there are fewer magpies, wrens, sparrows and robins. We used to have lots of ring necked doves and then they seemed to disappear. Fortunately they seemed to have returned. We still have our Jays, love watching them digging their acorns in.

Absolutely LOVED our song thrush earlier this year. Did not know what it was until Lizzie.... Thank you Lizzie! Gave us a website with the song.
          Not seen our Woodpecker for a while, nor the mistle thrushes. Lots of starlings used to be around our property but they sadly seem to be in decline.

So very sad
          sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

I have read in the I that Britain's bird population has declined 44 million in 4 decades - very sad.

Annie

Comment

We had loads of sparrows near the sea, but very little else apart from gulls. Now inland, there's lots of birds of all kinds, but I haven't seen many red squirrels lately- there was a grey in the garden and a red up the road, so the greys have finally won round here.
              Jo.

Comment

Thay are all down here , plenty of magpies chattering and hoping about , the snmller birds are all sat up in the bare trees and otheres are still in and out of our eves and doing a tapdance on the roof early in the morning, pherhaps they have all emigrated down here, it is still pretty mild.CG
                sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X