• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cats behaviour - help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a very common problem which is known as "Petting and Biting Syndrome" or "Petting Induced Syndrome". All cats experience conflict between feeling comforted and mothered and their natural hunter instincts. Whilst most (but not all) will relish love and affection which returns them to their kittenhood suddenly the adult predator will kick in without warning. Their natural self defence mechanism will make them feel trapped and vulnerable and, the more relaxed thay have allowed themselves to feel, the more aggressive they may become as they suddenly realise they have let down their guard. Each cat has its own reaction threshold which can be established through a combination of nature and nurture.

In this case, being deprived of the attentions of its regular owners, the cat will no doubt appreciate some signs of affection but the threshold is likely to have been lowered by the altered situation it finds itself in being "home alone". Just think what is going through his mind.

"Hello, I am so pleased to see you - I am feeling lonely. Ohhhhhh.... that's nice. Hang on a minute!! Who the ***** are you and what are you doing on my territory? Don't you go thinking I am a pushover. I am a big brave lion and I don't need or trust you thank you very much. (Phew, nearly let the side down there. Got to remind these humans who is the boss)."

Simple when you think about it like that. I am sure all cat owners have been there, done that, and got the scars to prove it!

Comment

Originally posted by stellaB, Yarm View Post
      This is a very common problem which is known as "Petting and Biting Syndrome" or "Petting Induced Syndrome". All cats experience conflict between feeling comforted and mothered and their natural hunter instincts. Whilst most (but not all) will relish love and affection which returns them to their kittenhood suddenly the adult predator will kick in without warning. Their natural self defence mechanism will make them feel trapped and vulnerable and, the more relaxed thay have allowed themselves to feel, the more aggressive they may become as they suddenly realise they have let down their guard. Each cat has its own reaction threshold which can be established through a combination of nature and nurture.

In this case, being deprived of the attentions of its regular owners, the cat will no doubt appreciate some signs of affection but the threshold is likely to have been lowered by the altered situation it finds itself in being "home alone". Just think what is going through his mind.

"Hello, I am so pleased to see you - I am feeling lonely. Ohhhhhh.... that's nice. Hang on a minute!! Who the ***** are you and what are you doing on my territory? Don't you go thinking I am a pushover. I am a big brave lion and I don't need or trust you thank you very much. (Phew, nearly let the side down there. Got to remind these humans who is the boss)."

Simple when you think about it like that. I am sure all cat owners have been there, done that, and got the scars to prove it!
      Brilliantly put Stella! Thanks, it makes sense when you put it like that.

We are both warier now & 'touch wood' no more incidents!
      Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Lots of sage advice, cats have very different personalities, some like being petted more than others. They also don't necessarily understand holidays, and why their person is away, and the usual routines upset. Also, male cats are notorious for being fine with being petted for a while, then they get fed-up or over-excited, and may bite or scratch (usually u get a bit of warning!). We have a giant ginger lump, most of the time fine (especially friendly at meal times!) but every few days he'll have a funny turn and warn you off making a fuss (especially if he's outside); ironically he's the most amenable cat of 7 we've had to being picked up and carried about, even tho he's the one you really need a wheelbarrow to do it!

We're experienced cat owners (first cat was a tortie - steep learning curve!!) but we still had to return a rescue cat, who attacked both of us at different times, lord knows what she'd been through before (& most of the time she was ultra-friendly!). Oh, re kittens, we've never risked having one, the damage problem is too acute. But ALL cats are likely to react to being told off with an "ok, next time I'll wait until you're not looking"!!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
        X