• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you these in your Home.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No too keen on them but the OH has no problems so she is the one who tend to remove them.Wasps I hate them.

Comment

I have an extreme phobia of spiders and earlier in the week I stood on the chair in my office and shouted until Himself got out of bed to rescue me. The (big) spider was between me and the door.

Last year I bought an electronic spider defence unit from a firm called Primrose. You plug it in after setting it to the anti-spider frequency and it sends pulses through the house wiring, two metres either side of the wiring. Every so often it sweeps the area with some other frequency. You can set it to be anti-mouse as well if you like.

This is the time of year when these things come into the house so we're interested to see if the device works. We've had two spiders in the last 10 days but only one in the whole year since we plugged the unit in.

Worst was when I was lying in bed and a sudden movement on the ceiling caught my eye and a massive spider fell onto my face. It looked the size of a dinner plate as it was getting nearer. I shrieked and flicked it off onto my hand and then flicked it off again. Himself couldn't find it after that and claimed it was a nightmare but it wasn't.
      Liz
      x

Comment

Originally posted by Liz, Harrogate View Post
        I have an extreme phobia of spiders and earlier in the week I stood on the chair in my office and shouted until Himself got out of bed to rescue me. The (big) spider was between me and the door.

Last year I bought an electronic spider defence unit from a firm called Primrose. You plug it in after setting it to the anti-spider frequency and it sends pulses through the house wiring, two metres either side of the wiring. Every so often it sweeps the area with some other frequency. You can set it to be anti-mouse as well if you like.

This is the time of year when these things come into the house so we're interested to see if the device works. We've had two spiders in the last 10 days but only one in the whole year since we plugged the unit in.

Worst was when I was lying in bed and a sudden movement on the ceiling caught my eye and a massive spider fell onto my face. It looked the size of a dinner plate as it was getting nearer. I shrieked and flicked it off onto my hand and then flicked it off again. Himself couldn't find it after that and claimed it was a nightmare but it wasn't.
        Liz
        x
        Oh Liz, I am the same, horrifying! I just can't abide them, they don't visit us here to often, too many floors to climb!

But France, I was in the shower and 'Godzilla' came down from the vent above, total panic, I banged shoulder/knee/arm on the door trying to escape, it came down, before I could get out, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

I now spend the entire time in the shower there looking at the vent!! Ughh!
        Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Liz
          x
          Oh Liz, I do sympathise because I know precisely how you feel about the eight legged horrors. It's like they know I'm terrified of them, because they always run towards me, never away...

We have our pvcu windows locked slightly ajar to provide all year around ventilation and the spiders try to crawl in through them. We spray the window gaps with an anti spider spray twice yearly, (it contains chestnut oil - which they hate apparently), and it has helped to deter them somewhat. But the damp autumn always brings them into our conservatory roof, no matter what. (And I hate the thought of them being above my head. *shudder*) I'd be interested to find out how your electronic spider device works for you long term. If it's really successful, then I'll buy one. Thank you.

Comment

We knew about these, because a woman in nearby Egremont was bitten 3 years ago, and spent several days in intensive care, due to an allergic reaction to the bite. Until then, the spiders were believed to be only living in the warmer south of England.....not true!
            Jo.
            Jo.

Comment

Glass and a piece if card and evict them, quite easily done.

Much prefer a spider or two than filthy flies which are a problem when we leave the conservatory doors open.

We leave the spiders in peace to catch the flies.

Comment

Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
                Glass and a piece if card and evict them, quite easily done.

Much prefer a spider or two than filthy flies which are a problem when we leave the conservatory doors open.

We leave the spiders in peace to catch the flies.
                This is a bit difficult unless you are in the same room as the spider! September is the worst month for these visitors so I'll report back on how many we see in the house during that time. They seem to come in when the weather is colder outside and it's become warmer again here in the last couple of days.

I know what caused my phobia, it was my father who was determined that I would deal with spiders in an appropriate manner. He held my wrist as I held a copy of the Radio Times next to the spider in the bath. The spider obligingly got onto the RT and then ran up my arm. I screamed and that was the end of that. I was about four at the time and for years afterwards I wouldn't even go into a room with a woodlouse, although I'm better at that now.
                Liz
                x

Comment

No I never kill spiders - dispose of them outside (telling them what I'm doing) & feel guilty making them homeless! They keep the mozzies down. Also never kill wasps, but do swat flies, the only insect I hate.

Comment

Originally posted by North Muskham, Newark-on-Trent View Post
                    No I never kill spiders - dispose of them outside (telling them what I'm doing) & feel guilty making them homeless! They keep the mozzies down. Also never kill wasps, but do swat flies, the only insect I hate.
                    I'm not averse to killing a wasp ever since I suffered multiple stings from one of their relatives, who had secreted themself, and their friends, in my pool towel on a land based holiday on the Algarve.

Bees receive the same kind treatment as spiders in our home...............deposited outside to resume their useful activies.

Comment

I have to steer clear of wasps, not easy! Once stung on the neck which swelled & swelled, needed a hospital visit & treatment, I have tablets, should I be stung, but I still hate the things!
                      Lizzie sigpic

Comment

I'd rather put a fly screen over the conservatory door, have no flies in the house and get hubby to get rid of the spiders when they appear. Result fresh air in the house, with no flies or spiders. Simples!

Comment

Dear me Liz, sounds like you will have to stop viewing old horror movies. Stick to Doctor Who.
                          BB

Liz
                          x

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X