• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Animal Cruelty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animal Cruelty

We think we are a Nation of animal lovers and I like to think I wouldn't harm any kind of animal whether I liked the animal or not. I never really been a cat lover but would never harm one. They pass through my garden ever day and the only time I would chase them of is if they were after the birds nesting in my garden because I do love the birds.

But today a looked at a radio station close to home and saw a horrible sight. I dog so starved that it could hardly walk. There is no reason for this kind of thing what-so-ever. And I hope that they catch the person responsible and give them a taste of their own medicine. The radio station is: BBC Radio Derby.

To some people animals are there to be used and abused

However, if I let my thoughts rip on here I would be banned PRONTO!
    sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot, Derby View Post
      We think we are a Nation of animal lovers and I like to think I wouldn't harm any kind of animal whether I liked the animal or not. I never really been a cat lover but would never harm one. They pass through my garden ever day and the only time I would chase them of is if they were after the birds nesting in my garden because I do love the birds.

But today a looked at a radio station close to home and saw a horrible sight. I dog so starved that it could hardly walk. There is no reason for this kind of thing what-so-ever. And I hope that they catch the person responsible and give them a taste of their own medicine. The radio station is: BBC Radio Derby.

I hear what you are saying however, much of the animal cruelty particularly on the farm animal end of things are not so straightforward and are often a symptom of deep ingrained psychological issues with their owners. This is aprticularly true in rural Ireland where animals are owned by aging bachelor farmers who can hardly look after themselves not to mention their animals. These people should have given up farmng at an earlier time but there is a cultural thing in Ireland relating to land and farming it that is a lot stronger than elsewhere. Secondly, we all think we can still do the things as well as we used to do! How many of us had rows with our parents over their ability to drive in their 80s - we all see that they are not as sharp as they were but they do not! Therefore, I would be reluctant to run into any situation wielding a bat to punish until the welfare of the person has first been established.

Yes - it can be a very unfortunates symptom of an even more unfortunate situation.

Comment

Yes! Domestic and farm animals can be cruelly threaten. Some people think because they are breed to eat it doesn't matter how they are treated because they are going to die anyway. For anyone to own an animal they should first know how to look after it. Sometimes its ignorance on their part. Animals suffer illnesses like people do. They might not be the same kind of illnesses that we get but they need treatment when they become ill and it can cost a fortune. Unfortunately some people will turn a sick animal out to fend for itself because they don't want to pay the vets fees or can't afford them. This, you have to take into account before owning an animal of any kind. I do hope they find a good home for this unfortunate dog. Someone who will love it and care for it as is should be cared for.

Comment

Did you rescue it FT?
          Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot, Derby View Post

I found a link to your horror story on Radio Derby:

BBC News - RSPCA appeal after emaciated dog found in Derbyshire

I am appalled, but then I often am.

So much cruelty, so much suffering, I really do not know how the RSPA & other charities are coping?
            Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
              Did you rescue it FT?
              No! Not this time. But I did once take in a dog with no home. Found him after he had been hit by a car that never bothered to stop. And we also had a puppy from the RSPCA. The first little dog lived for 18 years and the second lived for 15 years. They both gave me pleasure and of course, tears too.

Comment

We need to be better educated when it comes to keeping a pet. You have to choose the pet that fits in with your lifestyle. Its no good having a dog that needs a lot of exercise if you are both out at work all day and you have to remember it needs to go out during the day to do its business. It also needs companionship. To spend a long day without company is not right for a dog. If you can no longer afford to keep a dog or look after it properly then you should find it a new home where it can be taken care off. Not just abandon it to the streets.

Comment

I was working yesterday and heard a story on Jeremy Kyle about a "thing" (cant use anything else to describe him without admin calling) who put his girlfriends hamster in a microwave. He was taken to court, and wheat happened ? Nothing if my memory serves me right. On other posts there are calls to hang em high and other delights for serious offences. But when you see what the courts give for things like this, you lose faith in our so called justice system.
                  My sentence would be a couple of days in some stocks in a public place, Then let the public see what sort of trash we share our planet with.

Comment

Lizzie, that video is just awful. The fact that she still wags her tail and is such a sweet personality makes it even more heartbreaking. The only good thing is that she will now be nursed back to health and will end up in a wonderful home somewhere..Carol

Comment

I do hope so. That's why I have brought it to the attention of others. Someone might have lost a pet lately and would like to give the animal a good home. Animal shelters are a good way of finding a pet. Not everyone wants a puppy because of the training involved and an adult dog can save time in these matters. The first dog that I brought home had to be trained. The vet said he was around six months old but I had to train him not to mess in the house. He was also afraid of men and would cower down if one bent over him to stroke him and we would also bare his teeth. So I knew he had been hit by a man. He was also afraid of water. He would crawl on his belly if he had to cross a bridge where he could see the water below. Which also makes me think they had tried to drown him. Took a long time to get him to like men and water. But with time and patience and love you can work wonders. The dog in question doesn't look like he's afraid of men. Probably just kicked out to fend for itself?

Comment

If you can no longer afford to keep a dog or look after it you should find it a new home. Not just abandon it to the streets

Totally agree with you, Foxtrot - but sometimes it's very hard to do this

The RSPCA and other shelters often say the same - "we're full and aren't taking any more" Ask them what to do now, and they simply don't want to know. We know a lady who's fostered animals for the RSPCA for years, but when she had to go into hospital they were no help at all over taking in her dog for a while, even after all she'd done for them.

This leaves the possibility of advertising privately for a new home, but then owners have no assurance about what their pet will be going to - as I said, it can be hard ..... and no, we don't have a dog ourselves, just a crazy but very lovable cat!!!

Cheers,
                        Lynn

Comment

I suppose there has to be some cut off point. When they are full. Sometimes you can rely on friends or family to look after a pet for awhile. I thought that the Derby based RSPCA had stopped taking in dogs because of the cost of keeping them? When we looked for another dog after losing ours we thought we might have another unwanted dog but didn't see any advertised there. Our last dog was from the Derby RSPCA and he was a beautiful dog. Black and Tan with a gentle nature. Until he got old and grumpy. You see it happens to dogs as well as people. Wouldn't let you help him at all. Even though he suffered with rheumatics; he had to get up the steps by himself if it took him all day.

Comment

The sad truth about many of these things is that it happens too often in todays world.

I tried four times over a two year period to help with fostering any cat or small dog who was in need of TLC, simply because we feel we are now to old to have our own again, yet nevr received a reply from local rescue centres or even the RSPCA.
                            Even put a add in local shop for small dog walking for free during the day, no replies.
                            Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

I thought that the Derby based RSPCA had stopped taking in dogs because of the cost of keeping them?

I tried to help with fostering - never received a reply from local rescue centres or even the RSPCA

What?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you really have shocked me!!!
                              We have a friend who's much involved in animal welfare issues and firmly believes the RSPCA exist largely as a pressure group these days, and then mainly for their own benefit. I'd always doubted this, but after what you've said I'm now not so sure ....

Cheers,
                              Lynn

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X