• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trafalgar Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trafalgar Day

Fancy being on the wrong end of this....terrifying..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_FpYL...-G4XMAf-kClJP0

Garf

Please refrain from posting politics on this thread.

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Fancy being on the wrong end of this....terrifying..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_FpYL...-G4XMAf-kClJP0

Garf

Please refrain from posting politics on this thread.
    I never knew that.

However I do remember this 55 years ago

Cliff Michelmore - Aberfan - YouTube

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I never knew that.

Annie

Hi Annie
      And I never knew that..far more poignant than mine.

Garf...

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

Hi Annie
        And I never knew that..far more poignant than mine.

Garf...
        A truly horrific event which took the lives of so many young children. I remember hearing the broadcast and feeling the pain of every family who had tragically lost a child, or a member of their family.

Comment

I remember a tractor being driven round our village with trailer attached and all us little kids being sent out with whatever money our families could spare, to throw into the trailer to help the people of Aberfan. Such a tragedy.

Comment

Aberfan was not far from where I was at the time. Men were asked to go to assist with the digging.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I never knew that.

Annie

I was a new teacher in Liverpool and I remember the head mistress calling us into the staff room and telling us the news. It was really hard to go back to our classes without breaking into tears. I didn’t see Cliff until I was home in the evening.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post
                Aberfan was not far from where I was at the time. Men were asked to go to assist with the digging.
                It's hard to think how heartbreaking it must have been for the men who went along to do that digging. Awful.

Comment

It was horrific. Really tragic losing all those children & their teachers. I don't think anyone was ever charged orprosecuted for the negligence which caused it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post
                    It was horrific. Really tragic losing all those children & their teachers. I don't think anyone was ever charged orprosecuted for the negligence which caused it.
                    I am not sure if any individual(s) were to “blame, the situation built up over decades. I believe the National Coal Board as a whole took the “blame”.

See the following link for a brief description of the lessons learnt by the Institution of Civil Engineers : https://www.ice.org.uk/what-is-civil...lessons-learnt

Comment

One dreadful part of it (amongst so many) was that, when money was needed to make the tip safe, the bereaved families were 'persuaded' to hand over a large part of the publicly-donated disaster fund that had been set up to support them.

Imagine the outrage today!

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
                        One dreadful part of it (amongst so many) was that, when money was needed to make the tip safe, the bereaved families were 'persuaded' to hand over a large part of the publicly-donated disaster fund that had been set up to support them.

Imagine the outrage today!
                        The Tribunal set up after the disaster lasted for 76 days, principally because the NCB refused to accept any responsibility. (They finally did on the 65th day). As Sandraggg says,The NCB took most of the publically donated money - which amounted to $1,750.000. - for the clear up. In the end, the NOB only paid out £160.000 iin total as compensation, which roughly worked out at £500 per child.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X