• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Vaccine?

    Are you concerned about getting your Covid19 vaccine?

    I have quite a few allergies and it has been reported that the AstraZeneca one would be better for me due to the nature of the make up of the vaccine. I tend to react to everything so I will chat with the Doctor before I do anything, of course. I hope I can take the vaccine as I don't want to constantly worry about the virus once we get back to near normal and the virus is still around. But then would I be likely to get an anaphylactoid response?

    #2
    I’m pretty sure the thought of possible allergic reactions is what makes the people doing the vaccines have the person having it wait at least 15 minutes before sending them on their way. I hope you always keep some Benadryl or anti-allergy tablet with you in case of possible reactions to things. My daughter who’s a respiratory physio on the front line had her first jab the other day. She had to say her arm was very sore for,the next day or so but given where she works she would have it again.

    Take care and stay well. Helen

    Comment


      #3
      On a lighter note about the vaccine. My son-in-law’s mum sent this today and I had to laugh out loud.

      Take care and stay well. Helen 😷 4D567634-AA78-4931-ACAF-75DEB24F3FED.jpeg

      Comment


        #4
        It would depend on your allergies and how severe they are. Have you ever had an anaphylaxis before? do you carry an antihistamine (eg Piriton) and/or epipen?

        You will be asked to sit for 15 mins but if you feel iffy then let the staff know and sit for longer after your injection to be observed for any reaction/anaphylaxis however prior to you injection appointment discuss with your GP then again on the day with the nurse giving you your injection.

        both my daughters and my friend have had their first covid vaccine as they all work in the NHS and two of whom have underlying health conditions. One had no pain in her arm second one had arm pain for a day and the third had a very sore arm for several days, all had no other symptoms.

        I’m desperate for the vaccine but sadly as I’ve just retired from NHS I will have to wait several months before mine.
        Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 18th January 2021, 06:13 PM.
        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
          On a lighter note about the vaccine. My son-in-law’s mum sent this today and I had to laugh out loud.

          Take care and stay well. Helen 😷 4D567634-AA78-4931-ACAF-75DEB24F3FED.jpeg
          Love it Helen. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

          Comment


            #6
            I've got some allergies and always carry antihistamines but I didn't have any problems with the covid vaccine. Just as it is with everyone else, the screening is pretty thorough beforehand then waiting 15 minutes post injection in case of reaction.

            I was fine though my arm was sore for a few days after
            BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
              Are you concerned about getting your Covid19 vaccine?

              I have quite a few allergies and it has been reported that the AstraZeneca one would be better for me due to the nature of the make up of the vaccine. I tend to react to everything so I will chat with the Doctor before I do anything, of course. I hope I can take the vaccine as I don't want to constantly worry about the virus once we get back to near normal and the virus is still around. But then would I be likely to get an anaphylactoid response?
              I have several food allergies and food intolerances but no known allergies to medicine. No concerned.

              However on a lighter note:
              Anyone receiving Covid vaccine should AVOID drinking alcohol, experts warn | Daily Mail Online

              Annie

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                I have several food allergies and food intolerances but no known allergies to medicine. No concerned.

                However on a lighter note:
                Anyone receiving Covid vaccine should AVOID drinking alcohol, experts warn | Daily Mail Online

                Annie
                Must make sure I get my jab before wine o'clock then.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I expect I will be seen as 'controversial' here, but that is not the intention. Personally, I will
                  not have the vaccine. I think it has been rushed out far too early without sufficient testing
                  as to side effects and long term effects. Most vaccines take up to 20 years to PERFECT.
                  You will note that every source is pushing the vaccine, but any comments against it are being
                  suppressed. If you have an open mind, may I suggest that you go to this site?
                  http://www.vernoncoleman.com and go to the health section, and then to the heading 'Urgent
                  news about Covid 19' - it.s only very short, but to me essential reading.

                  Pfizer have said that their vaccine needs a booster shot after 3 weeks, but, (don't know if
                  it is true or not) apparently the government are overriding that advice and suggesting just
                  give everyone the first shot and maybe the booster if they are capable of facilitating that
                  option somewhere in the future.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gill Nickson, Albox View Post
                    I expect I will be seen as 'controversial' here, but that is not the intention. Personally, I will
                    not have the vaccine. I think it has been rushed out far too early without sufficient testing
                    as to side effects and long term effects. Most vaccines take up to 20 years to PERFECT.
                    You will note that every source is pushing the vaccine, but any comments against it are being
                    suppressed. If you have an open mind, may I suggest that you go to this site?
                    http://www.vernoncoleman.com and go to the health section, and then to the heading 'Urgent
                    news about Covid 19' - it.s only very short, but to me essential reading.

                    Pfizer have said that their vaccine needs a booster shot after 3 weeks, but, (don't know if
                    it is true or not) apparently the government are overriding that advice and suggesting just
                    give everyone the first shot and maybe the booster if they are capable of facilitating that
                    option somewhere in the future.
                    The Oxford vaccine was built on many years of research and so had the head start of an existing base from which to build on.

                    I have no idea if these vaccines will protect me but I am not willing to spend my life in a self imposed semi lockdown and even if it's clutching at straws, I'll clutch along with many millions who have the same approach to life as I.

                    Just my opinion, but those who refuse the vaccines for no medical reason are in the same bracket as those who refuse to wear a face mask, again with no medical reason behind the decision. I have a nasal structural problem and could quite easily ''wear the lanyard'' but I wear one to protect me and to protect others, from me.

                    I give anti maskers a wide berth. I can't do that with anti vaxxers as it's a hidden thought process. I just hope in months to come, those who turn down the vaccine don't get Covid, but if they do, I sincerely hope they are last in the queue for ITU beds.

                    Harsh, but fair.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Gill Nickson, Albox View Post
                      I expect I will be seen as 'controversial' here, but that is not the intention. Personally, I will
                      not have the vaccine. I think it has been rushed out far too early without sufficient testing
                      as to side effects and long term effects. Most vaccines take up to 20 years to PERFECT.
                      You will note that every source is pushing the vaccine, but any comments against it are being
                      suppressed. If you have an open mind, may I suggest that you go to this site?
                      http://www.vernoncoleman.com and go to the health section, and then to the heading 'Urgent
                      news about Covid 19' - it.s only very short, but to me essential reading.

                      Pfizer have said that their vaccine needs a booster shot after 3 weeks, but, (don't know if
                      it is true or not) apparently the government are overriding that advice and suggesting just
                      give everyone the first shot and maybe the booster if they are capable of facilitating that
                      option somewhere in the future.
                      Spain plans register for those who refuse COVID vaccine | News | DW | 29.12.2020

                      I wonder what Spain will do with the data.

                      Annie

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The reason vaccines used to take 20years is they were often just a series of guessing till something worked.

                        We now have genetic sequencing and modeling that can work out what is likely to work(which bits of the virus need attacking)

                        From that it is relatively quick to get candidates patched into suitable vectors with high chance of success.

                        By continuous analysis by both developers and regulators with overlapping of trials the time line has been compressed.

                        A major factor is the funding has been for practical purposes unlimited enabling far more resources to be available to run the trials and run tests on people's immune responses as well as observation on infection uptake.

                        I think they have played down the side effects a bit they are in line with other vaccines but there have been more than you get in media reports.

                        Long term effects is just a waiting game and there may be some outlyer side effects with some people not covered by trial groups.


                        The flu vaccine is effectively a new one each year and people have no problems taking that.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          My daughter, a front line worker, has had the virus and a Pfizer jab. She is regularly tested at work, and a couple of weeks after her jab tested positive. Then she tested negative, and had a third test, also negative. Is she positive or negative? Who knows? How many of the positive tests are really positive? I know a woman whose daughter's teacher tested positive. She obtained a home test kit, tested her daughter, and the result was negative. Knowing the woman as I do, I wouldn't trust her to administer a paracetamol let alone a Covid test. I can't help but wonder how accurate the figures are.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            In the early days every one who declines just leaves a dose for a more deserving individual.

                            Ask all you vegan mates if they are going to pass.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                              In the early days every one who declines just leaves a dose for a more deserving individual.

                              Ask all you vegan mates if they are going to pass.
                              Every anti-vaxxer or missed appointment just moves me further up the list.........if only there were 25million of them

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X