• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long will it last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long will it last?

hello people x well at long last we are coming out of lockdown on monday, its been a long slog, since sept 7th for us. We evn had an advert on tv today saying the shops would be open from 10am on monday, it is sooo exciting, we can now buy tinsel and cards and lights and at long last a book........will be good to read something I havent read four times! However I have just read that MERTHYR has the highest numbers in the uk!!!!! so lockdown has been well worth it? I am sure it must work somewhere but doesnt seem to work in merthyr, and like us merthyr has been in lockdown for ages ( went in a week after caerphilly) Dont know what the answer is but certainly cant just keep people locked up for the rest of their natural. To be fair the one good thing about not being able to buy non essentials is that there have been no fireworks going off.. However I do hope there are some tonight, it would be nice to have something a bit normal...Take care all x enjoy your fireworks if you have them x heather

Don't think anyone can answer your question. Apart from Merthyr how is the rest of Wales doing? Perhaps a bit early to notice the effect of the lock down. Ironically, having just started our lock down, Nottingham's figures have been falling steadily for a while, and people will no doubt be asking why we're in lock down.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
      Don't think anyone can answer your question. Apart from Merthyr how is the rest of Wales doing? Perhaps a bit early to notice the effect of the lock down. Ironically, having just started our lock down, Nottingham's figures have been falling steadily for a while, and people will no doubt be asking why we're in lock down.
      Because everyone is in lockdown and hopefully will not be travelling to Nottingham and causing the infection rate to rise again. Lockdown is doomed before it begins if people can’t or won’t stay home.

Comment

I keep an eye on the numbers on the BBC website. Interestingly enough, both my daughters live in a tier 2 zone and their numbers have fallen significantly in the last week. In my area, the numbers are now much higher than theirs, yet we are only in Tier 1.

Confused? I know that I am.
        Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post

Because everyone is in lockdown and hopefully will not be travelling to Nottingham and causing the infection rate to rise again. Lockdown is doomed before it begins if people can’t or won’t stay home.
          We are only in this new lockdown because so many selfish people thought the rules didn’t apply to them and couldn’t care less about infecting others because they were feeling fine themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
            We are only in this new lockdown because so many selfish people thought the rules didn’t apply to them and couldn’t care less about infecting others because they were feeling fine themselves.
            True, although it has now emerged that the models used to justify lock down were already out of date, and the deaths now predicted are much lower.

Comment

Well I don't think this lockdown is fit for purpose, the schools are still open, a lot more shops are open this time including Garden Centres, and DIY shops. You can have work men round. (The council are going to my mums next week to decorate her hall). You can move. In fact you can do most things, just not enjoy yourself!! ................................................Ca rol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                Well I don't think this lockdown is fit for purpose, the schools are still open, a lot more shops are open this time including Garden Centres, and DIY shops. You can have work men round. (The council are going to my mums next week to decorate her hall). You can move. In fact you can do most things, just not enjoy yourself!! ................................................Ca rol
                D'you know, I thin k you might have hit the nail on the head.

Going out and enjoying yourself seems to be one of the main problems. Friends in groups often drink too much and that's when sense can sometimes fly out the window. I am anti lockdown but seeing photographs of groups [Mail online for the balanced view on life] and hearing of the raves and parties broken up, maybe enjoyment IS the issue and maybe, the lockdown is the result.

Comment

Yep...
                  Millenials..

They don't understand the concept of in it together.

Garf

Comment

Lockdown does not achieve anything - it just pushes the problem down the road.

Comment

We are in this situation because of selfish people across all age ranges.However, thats not the only reason.
                      Test and trace success rates continue to decline despite the rhetoric that it is improving,regional lockdowns failed which Whitty said they would and constantly changing the message all have contributed to this situation in my view, as did emerging too quickly from the last lockdown.Tiers might have had a chance if they'd been introduced earlier and the data used in a more responsive way.
                      I imagine that it will end when stated perhaps a small extension might be on the cards but I think family Christmases will be encouraged.
                      Thats tricky because its bound to lead to a rise in cases but I think people would just do it anyway if it was banned or go bonkers!

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                        dosent really seem to be much of a diffrence, much of a muchness day to day, dont know what else could be done, the local village is closed and when I do my weekly shop I never see anybody without a mask, if anything numbers keep rising!!

Comment

I don't think you can call it a lock down very much. As you say, all education is open that is schools, colleges and universities are open, many shops are open,, people can go to work, if they cannot work from home, you can go out and walk about, travel for exercise and so on. Not really a lock down - is it? Not sure how this is going to stop the virus if so many people will be able to go out and move around.

Many people have no idea how far 2m is or not bothered. I was at the petrol station the other day, whilst my husband was filling up, I was people watching and so many people went into the shop to pay or buy goods without a face mask - most looked as though they couldn't care less. I know some people would be exempt but not the volume of people I saw with no mask on.

The reason we are in this mess is that people carry on like there is nothing wrong, nothing to be concerned about. They said that majority of people contacted to self isolate by track and trace, are not doing so and carry on going out or to work regardless.

I don't think we will get on top of this unless we have a completely strict lock down once more. Limited supermarkets open - that is it to buy food and all the rest closed. Supermarkets have pharmacies these days so medicines can be distributed. 3 weeks of going nowhere - very harsh, but necessary. I know they want schools to remain open, but at the moment, they are only being able to provide part of a service as, if a child or teacher coughs once, they all have to stay at home. I know teachers that are teaching half a classroom much of the time because of all this. Not much of an education going on there.

Comment

If you look at the details of the new national restrictions they are very similar to the tiers

Loads of exclusions most families can still operate big triple bubbles.

Could have called it tier 4.

added
                            more household mixing restrictions
                            Closed most close contact services and social settings.

The weekly reports have been identifing schools and workplaces as significant outbreak locations.
                            (Are they implementing covid safe guidelines effectively?)

These locations are potentially the primary new feed to households.
                            This breaks the previous mixing patterns that people had settled into keeping themselves relatively contained.

One major potential concern was that the positive cases have been creeping up the age pyramid and that needed fixing.

Age related restrictions are not going to be acceptable so everyone gets restricted.

If workplaces and education are the primary feed to household and extended households are still allowed the effect could be limited, if grandparents are still providing child care without covid safe measures.

I suspect places like shops, restaurants, close contact services that have taken covid safety seriously are very low sources of transmission to customers.
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Whatever the reasons for another lockdown lite here and whether it works or not it is of little consolation to know that much of Europe, and probably the rest of the world, is in the same or worse situation. Perhaps we have to get used to it and the deaths of vulnerable and older people that come with it. As one of those I am doing my best obey the rules and to keep away from other people.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X