• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

remember the days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remember the days?

just sat here thinking about christmas and people and when you could just ring up and ask people if they wanted to come for dinner......all seems so long ago, Do you also remember when you could say " do you fancy a cruise?" and you just packed a bag and went. Now we cant even go to the next village... I so miss contact, You cant even phone and book a holiday now because they want your money but you dont know if the holiday will go ahead and when it doesnt how long will it take you to get your money back! I am really going to miss our balmoral christmas cruise this year, we have done it for about the last 8 years and its all the same friends on there, got to make do with emails and christmas cards this year and just hope that next christmas comes off... Has anybody booked anything yet? Spoke to Fred ( well the office )and they are hoping to start cruising in feb... take care all x heather xx

I hate it. I used to think people that stayed in and did nothing with their lives were wasting it, but now I'm jealous of them, because they are probably loving this, and nothing is different.

We are really social people, and finding it a real struggle

Yes I know, we are a lot better off than a lot, but I can still moan sometimes!! ..........................................Carol

Comment

We missed having Thanksgiving at the cottage with our son and his family, the first time in 15 years. We even planned cruises around that because it was so special. When we all talked about it, we decided to take the government’s advice to miss Thanksgiving so we would be able to have Christmas together. Now it is beginning to look as though we may still be restricted at Christmas, which would really be unfortunate.
      I know this is not important in the overall situation, but it makes us sad to think we can’t just go over to see the family because they are worried about infection now the kids are at school and university.
      Sheila
      Last edited by smtcan, Scarborough; 30th October 2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
        I hate it. I used to think people that stayed in and did nothing with their lives were wasting it, but now I'm jealous of them, because they are probably loving this, and nothing is different.

We are really social people, and finding it a real struggle

Yes I know, we are a lot better off than a lot, but I can still moan sometimes!! ..........................................Carol
        Hi Carol

Many are struggling with the restrictions. In Tier 3 areas of Scotland, we have local travel restrictions imposed on us from Monday. Senior school pupils to wear masks in schools.

We have good and bad days but have just developed a coping strategy.

As long as there are idiots doing this, alas the restrictions will continue:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-54733679

How distant are your mum's relatives??

Annie

Comment

Our daughter and son in law are going into Tier 2 tonight, so she won’t be able to come to us in Tier1. While I understand the reasoning behind this it means that my husband will have to give up his golf for a while as I can’t be left alone for any length of time. I have stents in my liver and when they become blocked my temperature soars and sepsis sets in. I get tremors and become very disoriented. I get no warning of this. If my daughter can’t work from our house Alan won’t get a break from me at all. And believe me he needs a break.

his parents in Tier 3 are talking of coming to visit before Christmas. Dad thinks we’ll have a reliable vaccine by then! My plans for Christmas are to try to still be living.

Comment

For me, the restrictions are just a very short part of my life and will pass. In the last few months I’ve got used to only seeing or phoning my family. I’m a home buddy and I only go out if I need something or meeting up with friends or family........pre covid and now, so no change there eh!

However I am now in contact with more people than I have since I retired a year ago, approx 70 a day, two days a week when I’m administering the flu vaccine in health centres. It did feel strange being in contact with so many people and it was a wee bit frightening at first but my patients are only in my room for less than a few minutes. It takes me longer to clean my room after each patient.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
              Our daughter and son in law are going into Tier 2 tonight, so she won’t be able to come to us in Tier1. While I understand the reasoning behind this it means that my husband will have to give up his golf for a while as I can’t be left alone for any length of time. I have stents in my liver and when they become blocked my temperature soars and sepsis sets in. I get tremors and become very disoriented. I get no warning of this. If my daughter can’t work from our house Alan won’t get a break from me at all. And believe me he needs a break.

his parents in Tier 3 are talking of coming to visit before Christmas. Dad thinks we’ll have a reliable vaccine by then! My plans for Christmas are to try to still be living.
              My good friend whose wife has a brain tumour and is deteriorating fast has a "sod it" attitude to covid, and is happy for her to have visitors, and for her to go out with friends etc. Strictly he's wrong, but I can't blame him, or her. In fact her consultant has actively encouraged her to forget covid and get on with enjoying herself as far as she can.

Comment

We would normally have an early December cruise booked to look forward to but just like everyone else, that's not happening. The one upside is in getting on with my Christmas shopping instead of sorting out cruise itineraries!

I haven't thought seriously about Christmas day yet. We usually have my mum and our grandkids (parents both in hospitality) on the day but mums in hospital and I can't think that far ahead just yet.

We have only met up with friends a couple of times in recent months but I find it difficult to relax.

Roll on 2021, it has to be better..... doesn't it?
                BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

There is an upside for all us cruisers.

Think of all the money saved on the cruises which haven't taken place...well I've got to find a chink of light where I can!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Think of all the money saved on the cruises which haven't taken place...well I've got to find a chink of light where I can!
                    What a depressing forum this has become 😊. Hopefully one day we’ll all be back on cruise ships and posting lovely pics of our ships and ports of call 🤞

Comment

I just got my Visa bill and all that was on it was food and drink and one hair cut. I am saving so much money, but much of it will go on Christmas gifts etc very soon. My favourite clothes store is having a very good sale, so I just went through my winter clothes to see if I needed anything, and couldn't justify buying anything when we have no social life. I guess we will have money for some really good trips when we can travel again.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

What a depressing forum this has become 😊. Hopefully one day we’ll all be back on cruise ships and posting lovely pics of our ships and ports of call 🤞
                        I like the smiley face! A chunk of reality occasionally does no harm. My favourite Orkney jeweller has a 10% off ''sale'' until tomorrow. They have just had an online order for a rather nice tri gold bangle. Nothing depressing about that!

Comment

I like the smiley face! A chunk of reality occasionally does no harm. My favourite Orkney jeweller has a 10% off ''sale'' until tomorrow. They have just had an online order for a rather nice tri gold bangle. Nothing depressing about that!
                          Didn’t want anyone taking the post out of context Mrs M 😊

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

I just got my Visa bill and all that was on it was food and drink and one hair cut. I am saving so much money, but much of it will go on Christmas gifts etc very soon. My favourite clothes store is having a very good sale, so I just went through my winter clothes to see if I needed anything, and couldn't justify buying anything when we have no social life. I guess we will have money for some really good trips when we can travel again.
                            I am in a similar position.

I just put the money away for future trips.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

Need isn't in my vocab. ''Like the price'' phrase, when I see something I tried on pre lockdown, is. My favourite Canadian shop also has a decent online sale of my go to brand for semi smart wear. Ordered Friday, arrived four days later.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X