• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice?

I am thinking about ringing Saga about my annual travel insurance that I took out in the first week in March before the Coronavirus pandemic hit us. Like everyone we have been unable to travel for the majority of the term to date and I have had to cancel all the holidays due to lockdown and travel restrictions on movement.

I am not asking for a refund, but would like for them to consider extending the end date in consideration of being unable to travel at all for several months and still being unable to travel to many places abroad.

Has anyone had any experience of this or could offer advice on what to do. I do feel that my total amount paid for this year will be a total waste of money otherwise as we have been nowhere to need the insurance due to cancelled holidays. Our March cruise was cancelled by P & O. I had 3 other holidays booked in the UK which had to be cancelled due to being unable to travel, as the hotels were closed. So up to now all our holiday have not been able to go ahead due to government advice. Opening up the travel industry has only just happened fully.

Has anybody approached their insurers for an end date extension, rather than a refund? By the way, I have not had to claim for cancellations on this insurance as I accepted credit notes and transferred the cruise.

I can't see that going anywhere. Luckily you didn't need to use the insurance and took FCC's, but isn't that the whole reason for having insurance?.....just in case

I would love my insurance company to give me an extension every year when I don't have the need to use it.

Comment

Have you checked https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...d-your-rights/

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
        I can't see that going anywhere. Luckily you didn't need to use the insurance and took FCC's, but isn't that the whole reason for having insurance?.....just in case

I would love my insurance company to give me an extension every year when I don't have the need to use it.
        What I meant by couldn't use the travel insurance, was that holidays were banned so you could not go on holiday and so insurance was not required.

It was not about claiming, but no need to have insurance if there is no holiday possible.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

What I meant by couldn't use the travel insurance, was that holidays were banned so you could not go on holiday and so insurance was not required.

It was not about claiming, but no need to have insurance if there is no holiday possible.
          Coronavirus was declared a World Health Emergency at the end of January??

The Diamond Princess was quarantined at the beginning of February.

Aware of that, you elected to purchase an annual travel insurance policy at the beginning of March.

Caveat Emptor. JMO.

According to the website (link posted earlier), Saga have not been sympathetic to moving policies to a later date.

On the upside, renewing your policy might be easier/cheaper as an existing policy holder.

Annie
          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 16th August 2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I'm a great believer in 'don't ask, don't get' if they so no, so be it. But they might say yes, or at the very least offer a discount for next year Good Luck .....................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Hi Lucy
              I had the same problem...Admiral had auto renewed my insurance just as Covid was declared a Global Pandemic.
              I asked if they would furlough my insurance for 12 months as we knew that cruising in any shape or form was likely to be off the agenda for a long while.
              They eventually gave me a part refund, mainly for the cruise part of the policy.
              I say email them..the worst they can say is no..

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                I'm a great believer in 'don't ask, don't get' if they so no, so be it. But they might say yes, or at the very least offer a discount for next year Good Luck .....................................Carol
                Agreed Carol.

May I ask Lucy what was the cooling off period for your policy??

Annie

Comment

Hi Lucy
                  I renewed my annual policy in July,,,they gave me an extra 3 months on the policy to take into account the travel lockdown.
                  I am now insured until next October.

Many travel insurance companies was offering the same extension.

I have my eye on cruises in April/July and October next year so hopefully I will be able to use it.,,,but hopefully not...,if you know what I mean!!
                  JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I phoned my insurance company recently and asked if they could put it on hold or "freeze" it for a few months but they said no. I asked for a refund and was given a prorata refund for the unused months with no fee or deductions.

Comment

Our travel insurance, whilst seemingly won't be used this year, is in fact covering the cruises we have deferred or booked before the Covid pandemic. We'll leave it as is.

Comment

I assume your holiday insurance would cover UK holidays?

Quick check on my travel policy says any UK booking with 2 or more days pre-booked accommodation is covered.

So any extension would be a bonus.

Cheers

Tony B
                        Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 20th August 2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Yes - but don't have any holidays booked now.

Comment

We had some e long trips booked with an extension clause on our annual travel policy ( as part of our bank account) to cover our 75 day trip starting mid November. Our earlier April trip cancellation was covered by our policy and the claim was paid out late July. We paid extra for this extension facility above the 31 day trip usually covered. As the November trip will probably not go ahead as it involved flights, accommodation in the US followed by two cruises and we have cancelled with no loss of money, we contacted our insurance company and they gave given us a pro rata refund for the trip extension. Initially we were told nothing could be done so we decided to put in an official complaint to the bank’s customer services department and three days later they called to say they had refunded a pro rata payment to our bank account. If you don't ask, you don’t get.
                            Last edited by mcc, Preston; 1st September 2020, 03:28 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X