• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Follow the Science

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow the Science

I tried to find an existing thread to add this but then realised that loads of useful info is getting spread out in loads of threads

First links to the SAGE etc page that have driven some of the UK decision process.

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups...id-19-response

There is a serious amount to get through and links to some quite important stuff if you wonder why something was done or not done.

Now a couple of youtube channels I have referenced before that can be quite good to help understand some of the more complicated medical stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MEDCRAMvideos/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/videos

Want to follow trials
    https://covid-trials.com/

global view
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

What is of interest today is a new report out of France on the Vitamin D story.
    I will let Dr. Cambell tell you all about it.

and another view

Thanks again TD.

Annie

Comment

Vitamin D thing is interesting. Given the almost total lack of sun between Sept. and March in this country, it could explain why we're comparatively badly hit. Glad I'm taking my daily tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
        Vitamin D thing is interesting. Given the almost total lack of sun between Sept. and March in this country, it could explain why we're comparatively badly hit. Glad I'm taking my daily tablet.
        Me too.
        I have been taking VitD for months to counteract possible steroid tablet problems.
        Adcal D3. Available without prescription.

Comment

I came to the conclusion that even if it does not help with COVID there is more than enough evidence that is does help the body regulate itself in good ways, also very hard to OD.

You also have to be aware of some of the other trace elements needed to make the body work, many are easy to get through diet.

Still waiting for more video on the part ACE2 receptors play in the body as there may be something there as well

With a lot of these substances it seems that if you have insufficient you still keep going but might be a bit more susceptible to things you won't notice until you are seriously deficient.

Now if D does have a role to play, locking everyone inside was a great move.

Comment

What gets me is that Public Health England seem to dismiss vit D use without even carrying out a study. You'd have thought that in a country which can often have little sun this would be something worth looking at..

Comment

Hi all
              Seen a,I think,PHE advert pushing Nurofen for people with Covid-19 symptoms.

It doesn't say Nurofen contains/is Ibuprofen,,,,which can be deadly for those with heart problems.

Its the one thing the Heart surgeon stressed to me after my CABG op,,,,,,NO Ibuprofen!!!

JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                Hi all

It doesn't say Nurofen contains/is Ibuprofen,,,,which can be deadly for those with heart problems.

Its the one thing the Heart surgeon stressed to me after my CABG op,,,,,,NO Ibuprofen!!!

JC
                Ibuprofen is on my barred list too.

Annie

Comment

Slightly at a tangent, there was a study conducted possibly 10 years ago into why the Orkney Islands have the highest incidence rate of MS in the world. They thought it was linked to a Vitamin D deficiency. However a later study showed that Orcadians have higher levels of VIt D than most Scots so back to the drawing board.
                  However since that time I have always taken a Vit D supplement.
                  I am of that age group that enjoyed our milk at school and still do to this day.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi all

JC
                    Ditto Nurofen (very expensive Ibuprofen)/Aspirin for those with stomach problems. Can cause stomach ulcers or perforation, stomach bleeding, heartburn and so on.

Comment

What gets me is that Public Health England seem to dismiss vit D use without even carrying out a study. You'd have thought that in a country which can often have little sun this would be something worth looking at..
                      From the NHS website:
                      Coronavirus update

Consider taking 10 micrograms of vitamin D a day to keep your bones and muscles healthy.

This is because you may not be getting enough vitamin D from sunlight if you’re indoors most of the day.

There have been some news reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of coronavirus. However, there is currently not enough evidence to support this.

Do not buy more vitamin D than you need.

Comment

There seems to be a general reluctance to state fund lots of thing, study/trials seem to be part of that.
                        (except basket cases like HS2)

This means things need funding and often that means there has to be a chance of someone making money.
                        We lost a lot of medical funding projects were put on hold according to the person I know looking for a job in that area because of brexit.

An example of a covid related one is chloroquine some say you need zinc and a lot of the trials are not using zinc WHY?
                        I have not done more than glance at some reports and coverage of the lancet fiasco.

If any free/cheap/out of patent intervention works for anything then it means somewhere someone will lose money so they won't fund them

That leads to conspiracy theories that testing the cheap stuff gets suppressed.

NICE do cover vit.D so you an fall within those if you don't want to go crazy with the web based sugestions.

https://cks.nice.org.uk/vitamin-d-de...and-prevention

There is a chance we(UK) will be late to the party again(like masks and tracing) waiting for absolute proof it works rather than do a Tesco.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                          From the NHS website:
                          Coronavirus update

Consider taking 10 micrograms of vitamin D a day to keep your bones and muscles healthy.

This is because you may not be getting enough vitamin D from sunlight if you’re indoors most of the day.

There have been some news reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of coronavirus. However, there is currently not enough evidence to support this.

Do not buy more vitamin D than you need.

That was Dr. Campbell's point. There isn't enough evidence because we haven't done a study. Telling people not to buy more than they need will guarantee that people will panic buy.

Comment

Telling people not to buy more than they need will guarantee that people will panic buy.
                            Oh what a cynic Peter but you may be right.

I bought Vitamin D3 1000 IU at £7.95 for 450 tablets at the end February on Amazon so I have still got enough for the next 12 months. It is now £11.97 for the very same brand, Nutribioticals, and quantity. A 50% increase. Does someone know something?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                              Oh what a cynic Peter but you may be right.

I bought Vitamin D3 1000 IU at £7.95 for 450 tablets at the end February on Amazon so I have still got enough for the next 12 months. It is now £11.97 for the very same brand, Nutribioticals, and quantity. A 50% increase. Does someone know something?
                              I ordered some a few weeks ago as I was getting low on them. My usual online pharmacy took the order but then refunded me as they were out of stock. I re-ordered from Holland and Barratt. Expensive, and took about 10 days to arrive. I seem to remember Boots being out of stock too at that time.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X