• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep calm and carry on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Keep calm and carry on

    83BFCA11-0853-4903-A80B-534F3484F889.png With everything going on at the moment the saying “Keep Calm and Carry On” is more appropriate than ever. Yes, we must all be aware of the symptoms and alert for any changes in our own health and that of our loved ones, but we must also do our best to stay well and calm to help our immune systems fight off this horrible illness. At work we have a lovely nurse who is sponsored by the Macmillan nurses and she sent us all something about mindfulness today which pretty much sums up the “Carry on” message. I hope it helps!

    Take care and Stay well. Helen

    #2
    Interesting and helpful. I note that amongst the advice is to stick to normal routine, and avoiding excessive exposure to news etc. I've certainly found both helpful.

    Comment


      #3
      I appreciate that this might be helpful to some, but from my situation it is typical ‘McMillan speak’. None of it is helpful to someone in my position.

      Comment


        #4
        Judith, you are in the thoughts and prayers of so many people right now, including those of us who have never met you. I really hope that you will get your chemo done and get to the end of this lockdown so you can see family and friends again.

        Take care and stay well. Helen

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
          Judith, you are in the thoughts and prayers of so many people right now, including those of us who have never met you. I really hope that you will get your chemo done and get to the end of this lockdown so you can see family and friends again.

          Take care and stay well. Helen
          Thank you so much for that Helen. I’m struggling with no help from any palliative care team and I wonderr what will become of me with no end of life care.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
            Interesting and helpful. I note that amongst the advice is to stick to normal routine, and avoiding excessive exposure to news etc. I've certainly found both helpful.
            Totally agree on avoiding excessive exposure to news.

            There are 1 or 2 broadcasters who 'dae my heid in' and my day is so much more enjoyable if I ignore them. I am sure my BP is lower too.

            Annie

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

              Totally agree on avoiding excessive exposure to news.

              There are 1 or 2 broadcasters who 'dae my heid in' and my day is so much more enjoyable if I ignore them. I am sure my BP is lower too.

              Annie
              I’m with you.

              How does the media, in my case BBC Radio4, manage to dig out so many “experts” day after day who know so much more than the organisational and procurement professionals in the NHS. We are left with the impression that apart from front line medical staff everyone else in the NHS is totally incompetent because of course it is NHS staff who decide policies, priorities, capacities, requirements etc. not the government.

              We expect the left wing media to use every hiccup to beat the government with but the BBC with it’s “vital public service” role should not take every opportunity to berate the government. Time for the media to uplift the mood of the people not frighten everyone to death?

              Comment


                #8
                A friend has suggested that I join a Facebook group called something like '2 minutes silence for those who have died from C19'. I haven't joined, and had to hide the posts that kept popping up on my timeline.

                I am sorry for all those who have lost their lives to the virus, but it was making me more depressed than ever.
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

                2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

                2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                  I’m with you.

                  How does the media, in my case BBC Radio4, manage to dig out so many “experts” day after day who know so much more than the organisational and procurement professionals in the NHS. We are left with the impression that apart from front line medical staff everyone else in the NHS is totally incompetent because of course it is NHS staff who decide policies, priorities, capacities, requirements etc. not the government.

                  We expect the left wing media to use every hiccup to beat the government with but the BBC with it’s “vital public service” role should not take every opportunity to berate the government. Time for the media to uplift the mood of the people not frighten everyone to death?
                  We can all do with more positivity but if there are no dissenting voices at a time like this obvious mistakes can carry on.It is a time when things have to change at short notice but without some of the clear errors being pointed out, some of the errors would continue to be made.Some do revel in criticizing just for the sake of it, but many seek change for good.
                  My observation is that ITV in general is more critical of the government than the BBC at present.
                  Government in a vacuum is usually extremely ineffective.
                  I don't doubt that anyone in charge at such a difficult time would make mistakes.Not unlike many before,it has addressed some and steadfastly refused to change others.
                  I have gradually weaned myself off the news, apart from a brief listen in the kitchen whilst making breakfast and a tea time fix.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                    I appreciate that this might be helpful to some, but from my situation it is typical ‘McMillan speak’. None of it is helpful to someone in my position.
                    Hi Judith our position also , an you remember the ship we had lunch on was it the Grand Princess? my memory !! I am sure we also met up on another occasion was it a Forum gathering? or on one of the Norwegians new ships, ?or maybe on the Celebrity eclipse courtesy of CD.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It is not all as bad as the doomsayers make out.

                      Regardless of your politics and view of the newspaper in question have a read of : https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/112892...s-finest-hour/

                      Much excellent work is being done in spite of overwhelming difficulties and world wide demand for the same products.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

                        We can all do with more positivity but if there are no dissenting voices at a time like this obvious mistakes can carry on.It is a time when things have to change at short notice but without some of the clear errors being pointed out, some of the errors would continue to be made.Some do revel in criticizing just for the sake of it, but many seek change for good.
                        My observation is that ITV in general is more critical of the government than the BBC at present.
                        Government in a vacuum is usually extremely ineffective.
                        I don't doubt that anyone in charge at such a difficult time would make mistakes.Not unlike many before,it has addressed some and steadfastly refused to change others.
                        I have gradually weaned myself off the news, apart from a brief listen in the kitchen whilst making breakfast and a tea time fix.
                        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rts-tests.html

                        I agree I don't think Piers Morgan will be on the PM's Christmas Card List.

                        However I don't understand why so few NHS frontline staff have been tested - just 2,000??

                        Annie

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                          It is not all as bad as the doomsayers make out.

                          Regardless of your politics and view of the newspaper in question have a read of : https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/112892...s-finest-hour/

                          Much excellent work is being done in spite of overwhelming difficulties and world wide demand for the same products.
                          Sun article just as ridiculous as the overly negative doomsayers.
                          Quoting a friend who is a biochemist?!I'm surprised he admitted to that little gem.He denounces armchair experts and then pulls that rabbit out of the hat.
                          Britain's finest hour?Way too early to say that and absolutely no evidence to suggest it.
                          As Annie has highlighted testing of NHS staff is a real concern.
                          ​​​​​​​Getting through this will be really tough.Being overly negative isn't helpful but neither is burying your head in the sand

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

                            Sun article just as ridiculous as the overly negative doomsayers.
                            Quoting a friend who is a biochemist?!I'm surprised he admitted to that little gem.He denounces armchair experts and then pulls that rabbit out of the hat.
                            Britain's finest hour?Way too early to say that and absolutely no evidence to suggest it.
                            As Annie has highlighted testing of NHS staff is a real concern.
                            ​​​​​​​Getting through this will be really tough.Being overly negative isn't helpful but neither is burying your head in the sand
                            It is reported that between 50,000 and 75,000 NHS frontline staff are self isolating but only 2000 tests have been carried out??

                            Why??

                            As London is the undoubted hotspot, I suggest they re-allocate as many of the available tests to that region.

                            Annie

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                              It is reported that between 50,000 and 75,000 NHS frontline staff are self isolating but only 2000 tests have been carried out??

                              Why??

                              As London is the undoubted hotspot, I suggest they re-allocate as many of the available tests to that region.

                              Annie
                              Clearly, as with ventilators last week, there is more to this than we and the armchair experts know and understand. I don’t think for 1 second there is a wretched NHS employee sending lorry loads to the Isle of Wight and handfuls to London just to be b***** difficult.

                              As I understand it we are right up there at the top end of the premier league in handling things. Maybe not at the very top but way, way ahead of most countries.

                              Have just heard somebody on the radio talking about getting the many small testing laboratories on board in the “Dunkirk Spirit”. If I understand it correctly it took much meticulous planning to get the small ships evacuation under way in a time when the military “instructed” rather than “requested” and were able to override the many fewer standards and specifications than we have today without fear of a witch later and not in the face of worldwide shortage of the items in question.

                              A thought, perhaps the armchair experts, particularly those who majored in hindsight, could tell us and the NHS what the solutions to the next crisis will be now rather than wait until after it has happened and is being worked through. Perhaps even ask Gordon Brown if he saw any magic equipment trees near the magic money tree!

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X