• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News overload

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Pardon my Luddite ignorance - that has gone right over my head. I am not on Fb - they manipulate data - and I have no 'feeds' from any source.

Annie
    Ok so personally you have a news feed where everyone you are friends with or businesses, companies, media etc you follow can all come up on your news feed.

Then linked to my fb is his business page. Self control permits one to just check his business page and not look st my news feed. You get notifications of any traffic to the page and also notifications of any of your friends mention you in a post.

Upto 3 years a go I was very anti FB. I succumbed to see photos of my granddaughter. Then it became an invaluable tool for hubbys business.

You are not a Luddite xx
    Past cruises:
    Carnival Conquest October 2002
    Independence of the Seas October 2012
    Independence of the Seas May 2014
    Explorer of the Seas June 2015
    Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post

At least you will come out the other end. I shan’t my prognosis is less than six months. Be grateful for what you have.
      Judith you are in my thoughts. Your situation is truly cr*p, there’s no words good enough so I don’t want to use platitudes but please know that we are thinking of you xx
      Past cruises:
      Carnival Conquest October 2002
      Independence of the Seas October 2012
      Independence of the Seas May 2014
      Explorer of the Seas June 2015
      Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post

Ok so personally you have a news feed where everyone you are friends with or businesses, companies, media etc you follow can all come up on your news feed.

Then linked to my fb is his business page. Self control permits one to just check his business page and not look st my news feed. You get notifications of any traffic to the page and also notifications of any of your friends mention you in a post.

Upto 3 years a go I was very anti FB. I succumbed to see photos of my granddaughter. Then it became an invaluable tool for hubbys business.

You are not a Luddite xx
        The fewer the notifications the better

I know how to turn off notifications though!

Annie

Comment

They have been showing the film "Contagion" on the TV, which is unbelievable. This is about a pandemic that sweeps quickly across the world, with people dying as they race to find a cure and vaccine.
          Unbelievably insensitive. There have been a lot of complaints about this.

Comment

Well people aren’t forced to watch it are they? Switch over. Simples.

Comment

Watched it the other day, good film. Also watched 93 days and Flu

What films would you censor,,,,how about war films? there are 100s of thousands dying across the world due to wars
              Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 2nd April 2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
                Watched it the other day, good film. Also watched 93 days and Flu

What films would you censor,,,,how about war films? there are 100s of thousands dying across the world due to wars
                Bring back Doomwatch.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                  Well people aren’t forced to watch it are they? Switch over. Simples.
                  Think it was only available on subscription. So you have to pay for the service, search all the films to find it, then watch it, then complain.......

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Think it was only available on subscription. So you have to pay for the service, search all the films to find it, then watch it, then complain.......
                    The film was on general TV as I clicked onto it not knowing what it was about and then realised how closely it followed the reality of today's pandemic and switched it off. It is not about being able to switch off, it is about TV planners understanding the sensitivity of filling the schedules with such insensitive material at a time when nearly 3000 people have died, people are mourning, suffering and worrying about staying healthy and how they can manage to eat and pay the bills for their families. Not a good idea and I for one, think the scheduling of this type of film is not appropriate.

I wonder how they would feel about scheduling this type of material if they had lost loved ones to this pandemic, been unable to be with them when they died and could not attend their funeral - all shocking.

Comment

I think TV would be the last thing on your mind in that situation.

Comment

I was wondering what had happened to the news, before the Pandemic, there was news daily, now there doesn't seem to be any. If they didn't talk about the virus, nothing would be going on. Do they just make stuff up usually?? .................................................. .....................Carol

Comment

I'll buy The Times on a Saturday as it's quite a good read and has the Samurai Sudoku and similar read for the Sunday Times but we've given up on weekday newspapers. Same old same old. As for the Daily Wail online....Armageddon in spades!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X