• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News overload

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News overload

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I have a new condition called "News overload".

Perhaps the news channels should try and allocate a little bit of time to other things than the Covid19 virus pandemic. I realise that this is a national emergency and everyone is in unprecedented times of lock down, but if you follow the advice being given, there is not a lot else you can do. I for one am starting to get paranoid about every surface, my hands are raw from all the washing and no amount of hand cream can keep us with this. I seem to have become obsessed with the news and how many more have got it and died. I think it is starting to affect my mental well being now.

Is anyone else on news overload and how is all this affecting you?

I think there is a danger when they repeat, repeat & repeat information/news sometimes within a few minutes of each item it can be counter-productive.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Lucy, you are not alone. I now read the morning newspaper and listen to my local radio station. After that we leave it alone and live for the day. Definitely no news at night and especially before going to bed. There is little we can do to affect things except look after ourselves and family where possible.
      There will be an end to this thing so look plan for that and stay safe.

Comment

I know what you mean! We have been watching it all, but after a while we put on something ever so slightly escapist, like Men In Black. Right now we are watching Walk the Line which is about another Man in Black😉. All we can do is our best under the circumstances. I am now keeping tubes of hand cream near the sinks to moisturise after we wash our hands.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
          I don't know about anyone else, but I think I have a new condition called "News overload".

Perhaps the news channels should try and allocate a little bit of time to other things than the Covid19 virus pandemic. I realise that this is a national emergency and everyone is in unprecedented times of lock down, but if you follow the advice being given, there is not a lot else you can do. I for one am starting to get paranoid about every surface, my hands are raw from all the washing and no amount of hand cream can keep us with this. I seem to have become obsessed with the news and how many more have got it and died. I think it is starting to affect my mental well being now.

Is anyone else on news overload and how is all this affecting you?
          We have a family roll call each morning.

You can control how much news you watch and the source.

On the cleaning front, I definitely don't obsess about it as I am a solo dweller. I follow the recommended guidelines.

The last time I visited any shops was March 21st.

What more can any of us do?? It certainly doesn't keep me awake at night but I do wonder how my autistic nephew copes.

Annie

Comment

I am becoming more anxious and depressed by the day. We watch the lunch time news then no more. I got the government’s letter informing me that I must stay indoors as I am part of the high risk group. I have to go to hospital for blood tests on Wednesday so if I am going to catch the virus it will be then.

Comment

I'm getting a bit like that. They keep saying the same thing over and over. I know what I need to do, and I'm doing it. I don't really bother with the news now. I did the same during the endless Brexit situation. I have look through the BBC website once a day to keep myself informed, just in case there is any change in what we need to do, but that's it. It's not helpful to know how many have died in Italy, Spain or in this country. It's a tragedy, and we all know there's plenty more to come, so endlessly going on about it doesn't help. Hands are washed, we have no visitors and don't visit anyone etc. I feel uneasy, but not obsessively so.

Comment

I read up to page 17 in the paper this morning before there was any other news. We don't switch the TV on until 4pm when we cat h up eith what has been happening whilst waiting for the latest announcements from the government. It is hard to comprehend the numbers infected and deaths. Another person had died today at the hospital where I was expected to have my blood taken earlier this week but thankfully managed to have it done at my village surgery. It is all very worrying. We are trying to limit the amount of news we watch but then we feel we need to know the latest developments.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                  I am becoming more anxious and depressed by the day. We watch the lunch time news then no more. I got the government’s letter informing me that I must stay indoors as I am part of the high risk group. I have to go to hospital for blood tests on Wednesday so if I am going to catch the virus it will be then.
                  Have you spoken to the hospital? Maybe you could get your community nurse to take the blood tests to save you going out as you are in the vulnerable group? It would save you sitting in a waiting room at the hospital. I am sure they cannot expect you to go to the hospital for blood tests which could more easily be done in your home.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Have you spoken to the hospital? Maybe you could get your community nurse to take the blood tests to save you going out as you are in the vulnerable group? It would save you sitting in a waiting room at the hospital. I am sure they cannot expect you to go to the hospital for blood tests which could more easily be done in your home.
                    The bloods have to be done at the hospital before I see the oncologist. This week I’ll have the blood taken then go home and the oncologist will phone. Then if the blood is OK, I have six hours of chemo on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                      I read up to page 17 in the paper this morning before there was any other news. We don't switch the TV on until 4pm when we cat h up eith what has been happening whilst waiting for the latest announcements from the government. It is hard to comprehend the numbers infected and deaths. Another person had died today at the hospital where I was expected to have my blood taken earlier this week but thankfully managed to have it done at my village surgery. It is all very worrying. We are trying to limit the amount of news we watch but then we feel we need to know the latest developments.
                      I know what you mean. I feel I need to know what it is happening, but when I listen to it all, especially seeing what is happening in Italy and now Spain, it makes me think, perhaps I need to limit myself now to once a day. I think, going forward, I will follow what others are doing on here and just switch the news on for the daily update from the government ministers. I don't think it is helping to know every little detail as it is all so bad and depressing.

Maybe the news should balance it all out and show a few people that have recovered instead. Maybe they should have a happy slot each day, which I think they used to do on the ITV news. When it was all depressing they used to finish with a positive news story. Perhaps this is what they need to do now.

Comment

Given up on the regular repeated news, grab a bit in the morning, and maybe a bit in the early evening while doing some food.

Even slowing on anything ship related there won't be any cruising for the rest of the year.
                        ​​​​​
                        Early morning is my TV time for stuff the OH does not like and been catching up on some declutter and pc technology updates for a few hours a day.
                        Oh does her stuff, evening is joints TV options.

Problem is anyone declutterring can't get rid of stuff no charity shops, freecycle or tips open for business.

At some point I think I will get back into gaming that can eat serious time.

Comment

I very rarely watched the news and never read newspapers before this pandemic and I’m still the same. hubby is the opposite he watches sky news 24 and reads newspapers online whenever he can. As he cannot work just now he keeps turning the TV over to the news when I’m not looking, but even he’s getting fed up listening to it.

if the public would do as they’re asked and just self isolate, wash hands etc then the better it would be for everyone.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I have stopped listening to my preferred chat shows on 3 counties radio at the moment as there is only current news and I want a break from it. Radio 2 is still working for me as most of the presenters are carrying on as normal, Ken Bruce and Popmaster - my absolute favourite. Graham Norton this weekend and pick of the pops with Gambo make life feel a little more normal. I absolutely know that we have to know what is going on and follow guidelines, but like others, find myself feeling quite down when I need to try to keep upbeat for other members of my family who are struggling more than me with isolation and financial problems.

Barb

Comment

As I work from home, I never ever have the TV on during the day and even in the evenings, we have to want to watch something for it to be on. My OH watches more than I do, but he does switch it off when he goes to do something else. But I confess to visiting the BBC news website every couple of hours or so. It’s still difficult to believe how things have changed in a fortnight really.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X