• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too late, Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too late, Johnson

The Italians realised, too late, that they should have shut down and isolated much earlier and that by not stopping all movement of people immediately after closing down schools etc they failed to prevent many fleeing from cities to other areas thereby (unknowingly) spreading the virus. Italy and France have for several weeks been telling the UK to heed their experiences and learn and act - fast. For instance Johnson eventually closes UK schools but does nothing to stop parents then decamping from London to their rural second homes.
    We have failed another golden rule bitterly learned by others - test, test and test.
    We still fail to track people coming into the UK.
    French President Macron made an early national broadcast promising that ALL citizens would receive financial help. Johnson again dithers still failing to assure self employed that financial support will be provided.
    Supermarkets are shamefully stripped - the government's response is a few squawks asking for restraint.

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
    The Italians realised, too late, that they should have shut down and isolated much earlier and that by not stopping all movement of people immediately after closing down schools etc they failed to prevent many fleeing from cities to other areas thereby (unknowingly) spreading the virus. Italy and France have for several weeks been telling the UK to heed their experiences and learn and act - fast. For instance Johnson eventually closes UK schools but does nothing to stop parents then decamping from London to their rural second homes.
    We have failed another golden rule bitterly learned by others - test, test and test.
    French President Macron made an early national broadcast promising that ALL citizens would receive financial help. Johnson again dithers still failing to assure self employed that financial support will be provided.
    Supermarkets are shamefully stripped - the government's response is a few squawks asking for restraint.
    I don't like Johnson but I don't like political point scoring, in scenarios like this, either.

Do I think BJ has done enough?? of course not.

I would lock down London and withdraw all public transport. NHS staff can be housed in empty hotels close to their place of work if necessary.

Annie

Comment

Perhaps he was relying on the general public to use a bit of common sense, just saying.

Our Local Newspaper has a fb camera club page, somebody took a dozen photographs of our normally thriving seaside town centre yesterday at lunchtime and a further dozen at 9/30pm,

Everywhere was closed with their shutters down, not a single person in any of the photos other than the person behind the camera.

Unfortunately the photos did not have a share option, which prevents me from showing them.
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
        Perhaps he was relying on the general public to use a bit of common sense, just saying.

Our Local Newspaper has a fb camera club page, somebody took a dozen photographs of our normally thriving seaside town centre yesterday at lunchtime and a further dozen at 9/30pm,

Everywhere was closed with their shutters down, not a single person in any of the photos other than the person behind the camera.

Unfortunately the photos did not have a share option, which prevents me from showing them.
        Alas Delboy there is a lot of photographic evidence illustrating lack of common sense. If the public are not prepared to use their common sense, a curfew or lock down is the way to go.

Annie

Comment

Do you seriously think that the PM is making these decisions alone? He is taking advice from experts in their own fields. Shall we all exercise common sense for once. Could be worse you could have Corbin in charge.

The Italian way of life is very different than ours. An Italian friend, living in UK, said she was glad to be here because at home she would be hugged and kissed without thought and the virus would spread rapidly. Here we don’t do so much of that.

when we have stupid 90 year olds caring for a seven year old who has been playing with a child who developed a temperature the following day, common sense has left the building. What can the PM do about that? Also said 90 year olds wanted to come and stay with us. Noooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Alas Delboy there is a lot of photographic evidence illustrating lack of common sense. If the public are not prepared to use their common sense, a curfew or lock down is the way to go.

Annie

I agree, but you have to give the public a chance first.

If he had insisted on a curfew or lock down at the start, think of the stick he would have got then.

Think whatever he does he is in a no win situation.

He is also taking advice from his medical advisors.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I agree, but you have to give the public a chance first.

If he had insisted on a curfew or lock down at the start, think of the stick he would have got then.

Think whatever he does he is in a no win situation.

He is also taking advice from his medical advisors.
              JMO they had their chance - that is why he closed the pubs down.

BTW it is just not this country and yes he will be on the receiving end of some stick but he wanted to be PM.

Annie

Comment

Perhaps he was relying on the general public to use a bit of common sense....
                Bad mistake!

See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Photographs taken in teh centre of Skgness yetserday show hundreds, probably thousands of people walking along teh seafront. The headline was Skegness busier than Piccadilly Circus.

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
                    Sadly, in these circumstances, we're not Singapore, S. Korea or China. State pleas fall on deaf ears in the ''me me'' UK of today. Our PM believes in civil liberties. I for one don't, in some circumstances and this is one of them.
                    I'd have initiated a curfew and lockdown well before now but then is this hindsight? We are a nation of ''me me'' and this has got to change and pointing fingers will have no effect whatsoever. He has tried and in many places, it hasn't worked. Time to get tougher.

Whatever the government of the day does, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I walked into the village to collect the papers. Our village, very middle class and affluent, is a village of eateries and I counted at least seven of them with ''we will deliver'' banners. Folk out walking are smiling and happy and pass greetings of the day [usually do so that's nothing new] and are keeping a social distance. Cars are few but are observing decency when folk step off the pavement to keep the required distance.

No need to state the distance rule in the shop. Folk were observing it and the garage where I bought my paper now has a barrier in front of the checkout in order to keep the required distance for the staff, who, wore gloves.

All in all, a great morning out in the lovely fresh air, with other like minded folk.

Comment

Around here, the shops have calmed down a lot during the day, but still massive queues every morning as the shops open.

I have to go to my mums, to help her on a day to day basis. She can't go out on her own, so is staying at home. I can't just not go round there for 12 weeks, she wouldn't survive. I still don't know any one with it, so I figure if I keep away from people, and go to my mums, we should be alright (fingers tightly crossed) .................................................. ...Carol

Comment

Forget which paper it was, but was also reported on the Marr program that the main proponent of the herd immunity idea was Cummings. What is he doing being involved in any of the Covid 19 planning

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
                          Forget which paper it was, but was also reported on the Marr program that the main proponent of the herd immunity idea was Cummings. What is he doing being involved in any of the Covid 19 planning
                          That is quite disturbing! He appears to be involved in every aspect of government, but I totally agree he should be nowhere near any Covid 19 planning.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                            Around here, the shops have calmed down a lot during the day, but still massive queues every morning as the shops open.

I have to go to my mums, to help her on a day to day basis. She can't go out on her own, so is staying at home. I can't just not go round there for 12 weeks, she wouldn't survive. I still don't know any one with it, so I figure if I keep away from people, and go to my mums, we should be alright (fingers tightly crossed) .................................................. ...Carol
                            My daughter told me that read that 3 elderly ladies, who are friends, have moved in together so they will have each other for company as they isolate. I think it’s a very Good idea, others might not.
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

In answer to some points made:

We have not learned from or listened to the evidence from Italy, France, Singapore, South Korea etc. Different countries, same basic problem.
                              Johnson and the government advise us not to congregate, not to panic buy, not to go out unnecessarily, to stay at home etc - this is ignored by many. Why have these measures not been enforced, starting to weeks ago?
                              President Macron has apparently told Johnson that if he won't enforce then the border with France will be fully shut.

Johnson aspires to be another Winston Churchill but acts more like Captain Mainwaring - lack of decisive leadership. No wonder former leading Tories have been critical.

Annie - I don't need to make political points: the medical profession has warned for some time that the NHS would be unable to cope with even a serious flu outbreak because of lack of staff, equipment and beds.

For anyone who thinks they may have the virus - apparently autopsies by Chinese doctors reveal that it spreads by drying a person's airways therefore drink small amounts of any hot liquid every 20 minutes.

Since my original post I've learned that a near neighbour almost certainly has the virus but will probably not be able to have any test and therefore not show up on any current statistics. Friends know of at least seven almost certain virus cases, none of whom have been actually tested.
                              Last edited by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry; 22nd March 2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X