• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Devastation in the Bahamas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devastation in the Bahamas

I am sure we have all been following the story on the news this week about Hurricane Dorian hitting the Bahamas. It seems that the death toll from this beast is probably going to be in the hundreds if not thousands by the time rescue and relief teams reach the affected areas. Does anyone know if the DEC has started up fund raising for the relief effort yet? The hurricanes of the last few years seem to be getting worse and worse in my opinion, but as I’m not an expert I will no doubt be corrected.

Take care, Helen

If you look at the table in this article, Cat 5 hurricanes are becoming more severe and more frequent

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...y-five-history

John

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
      If you look at the table in this article, Cat 5 hurricanes are becoming more severe and more frequent

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...y-five-history

John
      Thanks for confirming what I thought John.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
        I am sure we have all been following the story on the news this week about Hurricane Dorian hitting the Bahamas. It seems that the death toll from this beast is probably going to be in the hundreds if not thousands by the time rescue and relief teams reach the affected areas. Does anyone know if the DEC has started up fund raising for the relief effort yet? The hurricanes of the last few years seem to be getting worse and worse in my opinion, but as I’m not an expert I will no doubt be corrected.

Take care, Helen
        Hi Helen

I checked the DEC website and no specific appeal is listed.

Florida dodged a bullet as they say but poor Bahamas. Cruise lines I think have donated collectively $5 million.

Annie

Comment

Several of the cruiselines have stated that they are going to give $1million each. MSC has stated that they will supply metal type huts/homes.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-car...gcPpYzFqB8rj4Y
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
              Several of the cruiselines have stated that they are going to give $1million each. MSC has stated that they will supply metal type huts/homes.
              They could donate a ship for the re building period, it would provide accommodation, cooking and sanitation for a lot of families, imagine the value of the publicity and the perception that the public would have of that line.

John

Comment

They could donate a ship for the re building period, it would provide accommodation, cooking and sanitation for a lot of families, imagine the value of the publicity and the perception that the public would have of that line.

John
                Apparently Trump has asked for one of the cruise lines to do this.

Its has been great to see the cruise lines reacting sending relief. After all they make millions of dollars from tourists wanting to visit these islands.
                i just saw on FB this morning passengers on a Celebrity ship getting involved helping pack the aid.
                Now that’s something I’d more than happily roll my sleeves up to do if I was on a ship in the area.
                Past cruises:
                Carnival Conquest October 2002
                Independence of the Seas October 2012
                Independence of the Seas May 2014
                Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

John
                  An excellent idea John.

There are a number of cruise ships coming up to their sell by date ...............Wilba
                  Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

An excellent idea John.

There are a number of cruise ships coming up to their sell by date ...............Wilba
                    According to CNN, 70,000 people are homeless. They will need a fleet of megaships.

Annie

Comment

The displacement programs the lines use will increase pressure on other ports.
                      Private islands were also hit which may impact itinerary.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi Helen

I checked the DEC website and no specific appeal is listed.

Florida dodged a bullet as they say but poor Bahamas. Cruise lines I think have donated collectively $5 million.

Annie
                        There is an appeal on Facebook.

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

There is an appeal on Facebook.
                          This is asking for cruise lines to send ships. By the time they have compensated passengers for cancelled cruises and dealt with associated complaints they would be better sending money. I think they certainly should send money and lots of it, but not ships. Cruise passengers could also contribute according to their means.

Comment

Money is a long term requirement to help with re building, short term, what is needed is shelter, sanitation, food and drink, hence the idea that ships could offer that support very quickly.

If your house burnt down, in the first 24 hours would you prefer a roof over your head from a friend or a £20.00 gift?

John

Comment

Money is a long term requirement to help with re building, short term, what is needed is shelter, sanitation, food and drink, hence the idea that ships could offer that support very quickly.

If your house burnt down, in the first 24 hours would you prefer a roof over your head from a friend or a £20.00 gift?

John
                              Fortunately for most of us, our insurance companies should step up to the plate.

MSC's contribution of prefabricated modular housing will be invaluable.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X