• Ahoy there! Why not join the UKโ€™s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi All .. Newbie Seeks Advise & Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You all .. some really great advice which I'm happily absorbing, I'm feeling much more prepared with regards to clothing & the predicted weather, although I'm sure it will be quite a shock to experience
    I can promise an open mind on the whole cruise adventure, my research has been wide and varied but overall it's a dream to be able to achieve this .. ultimately I just want to enjoy ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comment

Hi, Beverley, and welcome!
      We went on Aurora along with Jill & P- (Smith 7, who posted the great pictures of Tromso)- on Aurora one November, and it was a change from the usual cruises because of the lack of daylight hours and the weather... not that we went to Norway, but weather plays an important part of any cruise from Southampton in November.
      I found Aurora to be a very warm, comfortable ship for winter time- do enjoy the activities on board, and the entertainment. We even visited the small cinema to watch fairly recent films, and listened to speakers- even looked in on the choir rehearsals.
      The medication for sea sickness on P&O is Avomine- the same drug is given by injection by the medical staff to the occasional person who really suffers, but that's very few people. Yes, ask your own pharmacist.
      Your cabin can be as hot as you want, or also as cool, by moving the thermostat.
      Enjoy!
      Last edited by Jocap, Cumbria; 3rd October 2017, 07:22 PM.
      Jo.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. We haven't been to the fjords yet but it's next on the list.

Comment

Hi both, I hadn't given too much thought about the daylight hours until someone mentioned only 3 hours of daylight, I can't even begin to imagine that, all adding to the excitement .. ONLY 38 more 'sleeps' to go !!
          I had already promised to absorb in as much of the ship as possible .. It doesn't worry me at all wandering in & out of things as a solo passenger, I hope this is accepted as the 'norm' for some on board .. from what I've read it seems many cruise solo

Comment

Yes, there are always a good size group of solo cruisers- P&O usually have meetings for these, and reserve a table for solos at the afternoon tea. We've met people on their own who've made friends on board, and have arranged excursions together, many times. It's a good way of going off the ship for walkabouts etc.
            Jo.

Comment

Thanks Jo .. I shall aim for a meet & great & see what happens ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comment

P&O have a morning coffee get together for solo travellers. On Aurora, this is normally in Andersons at 10am but check your Horizon paper to confirm.
                Brian

Comment

Hi Beverly
                  We will be boarding Aurora in as few weeks,we are also using CruiseConnect/Intercruises for the coach transfer.
                  P+O will tell the coach company your time of boarding,,usually between 14:00 - 15:00.
                  We have a boarding time of 14:30 on our invoice,,,,the coach is picking us up at 09:15,,as it usually takes approx 5.5 hrs including a lunch stop,we will be there for 14:30-15:00.

A terminal rep will board your coach at the terminal and give everyone a coloured lettered card,,,when you enter the terminal building,your card will be called out and all on your coach will be fast tracked through check- in and on to security.

You should get an e mail from Intercruises about 21 days before with your pick- up time,,,,,you did contact them after you booked to tell them your e mail address or home address....I don't think P&O do it automatic.

We find the coach a very stress free way to join your ship.

Like you,it's my first time on Aurora,but not P&O,,,,,enjoy your cruise.
                  JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Thank You so much both .. so helpful to know a little what to expect .. it will help me to feel more confident about the trip .. B ..

Comment

Welcome Beverley. We haven't sailed with P&O so can't comment, but I love Norway. Yes, it is expensive, but worth every penny. Because of the limited hours of daylight some sightseeing might be difficult, but if you have the opportunity, there are some interesting prehistoric drawings near Alta, the Arctic Cathedral in Tromso and the rail journey from Aldasnes to Bjorli, which I think is prettier than the Flam one. Have fun. Judith

Comment

Thank You Judith .. I havenโ€™t decided yet which excursion to do in Alta but will probably opt for the coach sightseeing

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X