• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi All .. Newbie Seeks Advise & Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All .. Newbie Seeks Advise & Tips

Hello All .. I've finally committed to a very long awaited dream & am now counting down the days to my first cruise 🚒 Norway in November '17 .. P & O Aurora.. As a first timer and going solo, I'm excited 😊 & a little nervous .. any tips or advice would be most welcome .. varied to the essential and the bizarre please .. I'm ferrociously reading & watching all I can but find firsthand knowledge invaluable .. Many Thanks In Advance 😊

Hi Beverley and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on taking the plunge and booking your first cruise, so exciting. I think cruising is great for going solo , you will meet some great fellow passengers.
    We've never cruised to Norway but plenty of members have so will leave port tips to them.
    I'm sure you will have a fantastic time no matter what. Be prepared to be hooked from the off! What sort of cabin have you got? There are also so many dining options too.
    We've been cruising since 2003 and have been terribly addicted since so watch out 😁🍸🚒
    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Beverley welcome, I am sure you will have a brilliant time, people on cruise ships seem to enjoy chatting and making friends so you won't be alone for long.

If you could post some of the ports I am sure plenty will have information for you..Carol

Comment

Thank You both for your replies, I'm booked in a twin inside cabin, D deck, Ports are Andalsnes, Tromso, Alta & Stavanger .. As well as being my first cruise 🚒 it's also my first time out of the UK .. Getting my first passport at 57 was an experience in itself !! As I'll be celebrating my birthday while on a Sea Day I've booked a day in the Spa .. what a treat !!

Comment

Welcome to cruising and the forum.

I can't help with the specific ports, but thinking back to our first cruise, the thing we wish we had known then was to arrive reasonably early, get on board and use the afternoon to familiarise yourself with the ship's layout - It is bewildering on your first cruise.

Have a great time

Tony B

Comment

Yes - board as soon as possible - we always get to the port around 10.30 am and are often on board eating lunch before midday! Stavanger is a nice little town where you can just stroll around. Not much at Andalsnes - maybe consider taking the train trip if it's on offer. Tromso - the Arctic cathedral is worth a look. We walked there across a long bridge from where the shuttle bus dropped us in the town. Not been to Alta! Biggest tip - don't miss the scenery as you go in and out of the fjords. Get up early and maybe get a window seat in the buffet. Have fun!

Comment

Stavanger is a great port, docked really close to the centre and lots of interesting streets to wander around. I am sure you have already read that Norway is quite expensive but we have been to some of the more historic cafes for a light bite, they will also take Euro. The Cannery is apparently worth a visit although I have never been, have a go at Googling it for more info.

You are going quite far North so I wonder if you will see the Northern lights? on my bucket list and this year is supposed to be a good time to see them before they enter a downward cycle and are seen less frequently...Carol

Comment

Thank You both .. I'm making my way to Southampton by Coach (cruise connect) so will be bound by their times .. I chose this cruise for the scenery so definitely a window seat for me & an alarm clock!! I don't want to miss anything..
                Would I be wise to get Norway currency or will debit card(Visa) be sufficient .. I only intend buying a couple of souvenirs?

Comment

Hi Beverley, welcome to the forum and good for you booking a cruise!

Having cruised many times, I would happily cruise on my own, knowing now what it's like and think it's brave for the first one and I am sure you will love it.

I have been on Aurora and loved it, not too big a ship and looks like a big yacht to me. The curved shape decks at the back are lovely with plenty of nice spots to sit out.

Most cruise lines arrange a meet up for solo passengers and arrange dining seating together I believe.

My experience of boarding is that P&O operate a strict boarding time and whilst you can turn up early, we have never boarded early, but I have heard of people who have. We are happy to sit and wait our turn anyway.

I hope you will come back and tell us all about your cruise.

Comment

We managed 9 days recently with hardly any Krone and used a Halifax Clarity card for some small purchases. We also used Euro although not sure how good a conversion rate we got, but for the odd coffee and cake it wasn't worth taking loads of Norwegian currency...Carol

Comment

Welcome Beverly,
                      You will find that most places in Norway take cards but try and use one that doesn't have a currency conversion charge. There are quite a few - Nationwide, Halifax, Santander. Last time we were in Andalsnes the railway was closed because of a landslide. If it has reopened it is a good trip. We booked privately on the internet before we left but on your first cruise you may welcome the security of using ship's tours.

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
                        Welcome Beverly,
                        You will find that most places in Norway take cards but try and use one that doesn't have a currency conversion charge. There are quite a few - Nationwide, Halifax, Santander. Last time we were in Andalsnes the railway was closed because of a landslide. If it has reopened it is a good trip. We booked privately on the internet before we left but on your first cruise you may welcome the security of using ship's tours.
                        Good point by Zopadooper Beverley, Norway is extremely expensive and one of the No Fee cards mentioned are worth their weight in gold.........Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Hi Beverley, a big welcome to this habit forming vacation style.

Lots of good information above. Everyone will tell you that I have a list for everything but this time may I suggest that you have a look at one or three of the weather sites on the net.

World weather on line and weather on line are two but there are plenty more. They will give you a good idea as to what you can expect and also how to judge your packing items.

Welcome again. .....Neil

Comment

As you are going to Alta, which is well inside the Arctic circle, you can expect very cold weather, maybe down to -20C so you need to take appropriate clothing. There will only be about three hours of daylight when you are there.

Alta webcam

BOREALIS LIVECAM PORT OF ALTA 360

The ship docks near the end of the airport runway.

Brian

Comment

Thanks again all, I just knew your help would be invaluable .. another 'to do' list started .. check out my bank card & check out weather .. I guess layers of clothing is the way to go .. with thermals .. I can feel another trip to the shops coming on or I shall be spending quality time in the cruise launderette!!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X