• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly Widowed. Need advice on best ways to cruise Solo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly Widowed. Need advice on best ways to cruise Solo

I'm newly widowed. Have cruised extensively with my late husband. Now thinking cruising is something I could maybe do alone. I've looked at lots of websites but finding it all a bit overwhelming. Anybody out there with some help or advice?

Tootz

My condolences to you Tootz.

I have friends who cruise solo after previously cruising with their late husbands or ex partners and they always get on great. I went on the forum cruise on my own (unplanned that way) though it was easier as I knew I'd be meeting up with forum friends.

Have you got a friend or a family member who would go with you if you're not quite ready to go it alone? I guess one thing to consider is the single supplements. Some cruise lines are better then others and some have more single cabins available.
    Where do you fancy going? Good luck to you
    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Sorry this has happened. I think maybe it is a potential situation we all think about now and again. I am still fortunate enough to be cruising with my husband but perhaps I could add some remarks.

We always go with the same line on the same ships and have met some lovely people, many of them travelling solo after years of doing so as a couple. Once shared a table with a widow who had cruised many many time alone. She happened to say that the first time she did so she was advised to take a teddy bear and that others did the same! Now this is clearly a matter of personal thought and preference but I just repeat it for consideration.

Earlier this year we met several widows and widowers on board, all very much enjoying being away in the winter months and in company. I think they made it their business to be sociable whilst still keeping themselves to themselves when they wanted to. Some were booking for the same next year. One man was on his first solo after losing his wife and said he found the first time difficult but was determined to make a go of it. From what I have seen it probably helps to go on a ship you know, where you may know others and possibly staff as well, to assist. My late father got into the habit of 10 weeks abroad every winter in the same place where he got to know people, local and visitors and developed a social life. It kept him going.

Good luck, we all may be there sometime.

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and your kind words.

I haven't yet decided on a destination, just thought I would have a browse around to see what was out there. Unfortunately I don't have anybody to travel with as all my friends still have their partners and I am the first to have lost their loved one.

The cruise company web pages don't make it easy for single passengers to navigate a price, they just seem to quote a price for 2 sharing!

I will keep an eye out for something or perhaps better visit a travel agent for advice

Tootz

Comment

I am very sorry for your loss. I'm sure the first time you travel alone will be hard. As others have said cruising is a great way to travel in a safe way. I have a couple of friends who are Widows and they cruise and also go on touring holidays where you travel as a group, often eating as a group. Lots of these are special interest ones i.e Art, Gardens etc., We have met several people travelling alone like this, lots of tours have very low, if any single supplements. As someone has said it's a situation many of us will find ourselves in one day. Wish you luck and enjoyable travelling.

Comment

So sorry for your loss, take care.

I have been cruising solo since 2011. The first experience was so good I continued to book cruise holidays. The first was on QM2. My two experiences on NCL were very different. After a cruise on Jade I said that I would never sail withh NCL again. However, a good deal came up and I did a transatlantic on Epic. The lounge was a sociable space, where passengers would meet for a chat, or meet to go to dinner and shows together. My favourite line has been Royal Caribbean, it depends on how many solo passengers are on board what activities are provided. My recent cruise on Britannia was my first with P&O. That was another transatlantic cruise and they had a get together every morning on sea days. Everyone on my table for dinner was sailing alone.

Some ships do have single cabins, but sometimes there are better prices on double occupancy cabins.

I check out a small number of websites that have pages detailing solo deals. This site used to do that, but stopped some time ago.

I am glad that a colleague persuaded me to book my first cruise. I've had some enjoyable trips and have made lasting friendships.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend a high street travel agent, but I'm sure that the agents on this site would be able to help.
            2018-
            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

What a brave but daunting thing to consider. Before cruising I could never have imagined holidaying alone but I would cruise alone. Let us know what you decide and take care x

Comment

Please accept my condolences. Cruising is probably the best option for a holiday, although it is very expensive solo. We have several friends who cruise as singles and, as they are lucky to be able to travel at short notice they pick up good deals. Few companies have a limited number of single cabins, but the others vary an awful lot on supplement charges. I should be inclined to talk to a cruise consultant who will have the figures readily available. Good luck. Judith

Comment

Sorry to hear about you loss. But i have one suggestion to offer.
                  NCL Epic have some single cabins in a area for "singles", when i went my Epic cruise i knew some singles of all ages who were in these cabins. They are mentioned here .
                  https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/freestyle-.../solo-cruising

Cruising for solo travellers: tips and advice - Telegraph

Good luck !!

Comment

If you are over 50, Saga cruises have a high percentage of single cabins and their prices, though apparently high, include virtually all of the usual extras (but essentials) such as gratuities. They should also be especially helpful given your sad starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by A Vast Behind, THATCHAM-SUR-MER View Post
                      Sorry to hear about you loss. But i have one suggestion to offer.
                      NCL Epic have some single cabins in a area for "singles", when i went my Epic cruise i knew some singles of all ages who were in these cabins. They are mentioned here .
                      https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/freestyle-.../solo-cruising

Cruising for solo travellers: tips and advice - Telegraph

Good luck !!
                      I agree all age groups use the studio cabins but I am reluctant to recommend the Epic without some knowledge of the OP's cruising history.

Alas even with organised activities, some solos felt 'excluded'. That ship does not work for everyone.

Coach tours can work very well also.

Annie

Comment

Thanks again for everyone who has replied, what a great bunch you are and makes me feel less alone now.

Have taken all your suggestions and will take my time to decide, my head is all over the place just now, but having something to look forward to will help no doubt.

Will let you know how I get on, but it may be a while
                        Tootz

Comment

Originally posted by Tootz, Toytown View Post
                          Thanks again for everyone who has replied, what a great bunch you are and makes me feel less alone now.

Have taken all your suggestions and will take my time to decide, my head is all over the place just now, but having something to look forward to will help no doubt.

Will let you know how I get on, but it may be a while
                          Tootz
                          May I ask if you have a preferred cruise line??

Annie

Comment

So sorry to hear your news; we have often met with solo passengers on cruises, and noticed that by the end of the cruise they have made friends and shared outings and meals with other solos they have met at the various activities for single passengers.
                            I know that Fred Olsen; Cruise and Maritime; P&O larger ships and Saga all have designated single cabins. I think that on every line we've used, there has been announcements for singles to get together; the last ship we were on had afternoon tea with a special singles table.
                            When the time is right for you, do look at some of these lines which sail from the UK.
                            Jo.

Comment

A further comment from me on this thread. Some have mentioned the idea of singles getting together. It does happen on most ships. Thats fine if thats what you want. The point I made before is that many widow/ers sail alone but should not necessarily feel that they now have to be part of or labelled as single. People we have had the pleasure of meeting and mixing with have been in general company, not forced into any group mentality or activity.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X