• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Been Taken In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have You Been Taken In?

Several cruise lines are advertising Buy One, Get One Half Price deals. A brief comparison with other cruise lines cruises with similar itineraries at similar times indicate that the Buy One Get One Half Price fares are often more than other cruise lines are charging for 2 full fares.

Have you been taken in?

This comes at a time when major supermarkets are phasing out their BOGOF and similar promotions because the public prefer plain everyday low prices.

We had noticed these misleading advertisements and wonder how they get away with it!.........mainly Royal Caribbean and Celebrity I think. I sincerely hope no-one thinks this is a genuine bargain price!

Comment

I suspect that it is those with less experience of cruises who are caught by these offers, its the same with free drinks or flights or parking,they are all built into the cruise price, no such thing as a free lunch

We look at cruise only and then flights added on either independently or via the cruise line/travel agent and see what comes out best for us, last year on Celebrity their own flights were much cheaper than any option we could find.

Caveat Emptor

Comment

I typically ignore any sort of offer, whether BOGOF, second guest half off, or any other marketing gimmick.

It's so trivial to simply get a quote these days I tend to just look at the cheapest deals (in the case of a speculative last-minute trip) or otherwise I know the itinerary or ship that I want and will search for that.

Prices fluctuate so much without BOGOF, so it really means nothing!
        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Aimed squarely at first time cruises. Anyone who keeps an eye on the prices will know that they're the same as they always charge. Prices drop for a few weeks in between the 13 and 8 weeks prior to sailing window when the bean counters have added up all the deposits paid and lost by those who no longer keep their booking.

Comment

Most of us on the forum are wise to this con. There are plenty out there that aren't, and they are the ones the cruiselines are gunning for............Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

The only time something is REALLY deep discounted is when nobody wants to buy it. There will always be a good reason.

With holidays/cruises it will almost certainly be a off-season date, over-capacity or the product started over-priced, so they could later offer big discounts.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I have a friend who was very excited and asked had I seen the offer by Celebrity. They have only done one previous cruise sailing with us, and which I had booked.

I suggested she added the two prices together then divide by two. I am still not convinced she couldn't see it was a ridiculous offer that was actually an inflated price from the usual charge... Carol

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                  Several cruise lines are advertising Buy One, Get One Half Price deals. A brief comparison with other cruise lines cruises with similar itineraries at similar times indicate that the Buy One Get One Half Price fares are often more than other cruise lines are charging for 2 full fares.

Have you been taken in?

This comes at a time when major supermarkets are phasing out their BOGOF and similar promotions because the public prefer plain everyday low prices.
                  I travel solo some but not all the time. For my solo trips, do I look at these offers??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    I travel solo some but not all the time. For my solo trips, do I look at these offers??

Annie
                    Of course not - neither do I!!
                    2018-
                    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

You have to be careful not checking solo rates it has been known for he solo rate to be cheaper than the regular -supplements.

There are good TAs that just ignore the cruise lines and display the real pp prices.

Comment

If it looks too good to be true..... then it is

Comment

I agree with Wilba, these adverts are aimed at inexperienced first time cruisers.
                          Oriana
                          Oceana
                          Ventura
                          Queen Mary 2
                          Queen Victoria
                          Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Really these Buy one get one Half price are just another way of raising the price per passenger,by inflating the first passenger price some people get suckered into thinking the second passenger is getting a good deal .

As others have said just add both together and divide by 2 that's the price per person....Taffy
                            ​Taffy

Comment

Hi all
                              How can people be taken in?,,,do people think everyone is stupid,and only them are wise.
                              Like Taffy said,,work out the total price and divide by 2,,,its not rocket science.
                              If the price is right,book it,,,,,,,,,i did!!

Last year i booked a Celebrity Eclipse cruise to the Baltics,,,including (i won't say free,the wise ones will tell me its not) Drink Package and Grats included.
                              Members said then,,,stupid people taken in by (not free) DP.......i drink,i spend money on drink,,,,so i work out what i would spend on a typical Celebrity cruise on drink (approx £1k),,,knock that of the price====a very good priced cruise.

I have booked a cruise on Celebrity Equinox,,,at the time it was a BOGOHP deal + DP,,,,Cruise Dot got me half price Grats.
                              A 12 nt cruise round Eastern Med....booked my own flights and hotel in Barcelona.
                              Did i get enticed by the BOGOHP,,,,not a bit,,,Work out Total price,divide by 2,,,,,,a very good priced cruise.

By the way,,,both cruises were cheaper than the equivalent P&O and Cunard cruises.even before i had taken into account the DP.

I book P&O cruises,,,,i weigh up the select price including coach transfer to Southampton plus OBC against the saver price,,,often the select is cheaper.
                              Am i taken in by the (free) coach and OBC,,,,,,,i would pay £200 for the coach anyway,,,and i will always spend more than OBC......am i a stupid 1st time cruiser?

Can't all the forum mathematicians work out the price of a cruise.

Why are those who take advantage of Drink Packages thought of as fools,,,whilst those who book Seabourn\Oceania or Regent are thought of as discerning cruisers,,,,,,,Celebrity AI =£2k.......Regent AI=£4k.

JC
                              Last edited by jc, liverpool; 14th February 2016, 11:28 AM.
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X