• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single supplement vs Paying for 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single supplement vs Paying for 2

Hi All

I've never cruised Solo and now find myself in a position that I may have to. I've been looking at prices and some of the single supplements are showing as 5k plus for a 14 night cruise but the an inside cabin or outside cabin is 1k - 1.5k per person. What I want to know is, could I just book an inside for 2 people, or do I actually have to register a second person travelling?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Daryl

It's quite common on Cunard and P&O to pay double as a solo but generally the solo supplement is just slightly less that double viz. 70/80%. On a Fjords cruise on Ventura I actually paid more than two friends in total in the next door balcony cabin. So on occasion you can really get stung.

Having said all that - you either pay up or don't go.

Re booking for two:- You would certainly have to register a 'name' at time of booking. But, I think I'm correct in saying that the cruise lines have got that ploy sussed. If the second passenger does not check in then they really do stitch you up with massive solo supplements. Others may have more definitive information.

Comment

Thank you. I have seen some really good deals but unfortunately not at a suitable time for me and I am expecting to pay in the region of 70/80% its just that some of the prices out there are more than double, than paying for 2 people to go away.

Comment

Don't suppose you've got any friends you'd enjoy a 14-night cruise with?

You'd look incredibly generous when in reality just saving yourself money!
        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
          Don't suppose you've got any friends you'd enjoy a 14-night cruise with?

You'd look incredibly generous when in reality just saving yourself money!
          I know someone who did that once..... but the freebie cruiser thought the donor would pick up the drinks bill as well

Or find an alternative holiday without penal clauses - they do exist

Annie

Comment

If you can cruise outside peak times ,then deals can be done.
            A friend got a cabin for an Extra 15% when HAL were struggling to fill a cruise.Using decent agent would help they would inform you of any deals going...Taffy
            ​Taffy

Comment

There are sites that list cruises without single supplements. I won't name them, but they are easy to find. Cruise dot used to have a link on the front page, but it doesn't seem to be there any more.

If I find a cruise that states no single supplement, then I do look around to see if it really is a good deal. Unfortunately that isn't always the case.
              2018-
              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Thanks everyone. The cruise I wanted became available again for £99 a night which I am happy with for an August sailing. There were only a few sites that I could clearly find single cruises listed , but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Happy Cruising :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DarylM, Banstead View Post
                  Thanks everyone. The cruise I wanted became available again for £99 a night which I am happy with for an August sailing. There were only a few sites that I could clearly find single cruises listed , but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Happy Cruising :-)
                  Well done a good price for a peak time ,have a great cruise..Taffy
                  ​Taffy

Comment

The issue with the solo pricing is some on some deals the discounts are only applicable to the 2 pax rate.

Seen this with GTY rates stick in 1 pax and they disappear.

No shows are a big risk, the T&C give the cruise line a lot of leeway(probably not all legal) but I suspect they do look at the circumstances.
                    I have also noticed issues with the cruise lines own websites and solo pricing eg NCL have the option to show solo rates but the price in searches is not the solo rate, when you select the price changes, sometimes up sometimes down.

one place that is quite good is cruise dot if looking at a particular cruise if you change the No. PAX it updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                      one place that is quite good is cruise dot if looking at a particular cruise if you change the No. PAX it updates.
                      It doesn't always do that. On a lot of occasions I just get a page with a contact form.
                      2018-
                      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                        It doesn't always do that. On a lot of occasions I just get a page with a contact form.
                        Correct.

Or sometimes they show zero availability when there is availability on the cruise line web site.

Now I always check the cruise line web site 1st.

Annie
                        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 4th July 2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

After being let down by a friend, I requested the price for a solo traveller on a cruise we were looking at that cost £1099. The price for me alone was £2075 - almost double. I have since booked a cruise with NO SS - 22 nts.Genoa to Rio for £1399. So bargains are out there if you search hard enough and put yourself on the mailing list of lots of Cruise Agents, including Cruise.co.uk!

Comment

Passionforcruising.co.uk is a good site for singles.i got a cunard cruise for around £60 a night so cheap I booked another cruise back to back and both were balconys to

Comment

Originally posted by paulinuk, herts View Post
                              Passionforcruising.co.uk is a good site for singles.i got a cunard cruise for around £60 a night so cheap I booked another cruise back to back and both were balconys to
                              Yes a good site but if your a cautious bunny, the company are not members of ABTA.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X