• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will the Cruise lines look at the potential of the Solo travellers market?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will the Cruise lines look at the potential of the Solo travellers market?

I have only been on two cruises, the first with Celebrity and the second with Cunard. I loved them both but the Cunard cruise - a last minute saver deal had no single supplement, this was the only reason I was able to go.

I would really like to cruise more often but I do object to paying twice the price as a solo traveller.

I can understand that to fill up the ship is more cost effective for cruise lines and that two people in a cabin will spend more on board. However, there is a large increase in the number of single people in our society and the Cruise lines should consider the potential of this group rather than charging penalising rates. It is an easy assumption that two passengers will spend twice as much on board - but consider the alternative? Single people may have more spending money than couples. They may wish to indulge themselves in the spa, or enjoy a few expensive drinks, or purchase photographs. However if a person has paid twice as much as the other passengers on board they will understandably have less to spend on the ship.

When you live alone - you may not want to share your cabin (bedroom) even with a friend. We all have our own idiosyncrasies and that could spoil the cruise for a companion. e.g. I use the TV to help me sleep - which would be intensely irritating to anyone else, but would prevent me getting a good night's sleep if I was unable to do this.

I would like to see cruise lines reducing the single supplement as the departure date comes closer, and eliminating it for last minute deals. It is surely better to have one passenger in a cabin than a cabin empty.

This is a well-worn subject! It does seem odd to me that ships sail with empty cabins when they could get solo passengers on board.

I have found that booking well ahead sometimes gets a better price. There are other online TAs that seem to get some reasonable deals for solos, and one particular American agent (that will take bookings from UK clients) has some good deals.

I haven't looked recently, as I already have three bookings for this year. It would be dangerous to keep on checking .....
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Simple answer is the Cruise Lines have no intention of addressing the issue unless left with unsold cabins. Some American cruise lines are happy to sail with empty cabins as long as they generate sufficient income from the sold cabins. It is their business and they can do what they want but so can we.

I cruise solo and have NEVER paid double simply because I refuse.

MSC did offer UK solo cruisers advantageous rates, withdrew them hastily last year and many solo cruisers stopped sailing with them.

Outcome was they were left with unsold cabins on certain cruises and then the no solo supplement offers appeared.

I work to a max daily price and even if charged say a 25% supplement will book as long as the per diem price is below the ceiling. However I won't book a no supplement cruise if the itinerary or timing does not suit.

One forum member, Topdeck, posted solo deals on the NCL Jade January sailings. No supplement and drinks package included. The itinerary did not appeal so no booking from me.

Annie
      Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 17th January 2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

There are solo rates around but you have to search for them they don't get pushed because couple could book 2 cabins(expensive and cheap to save money

NCL had some recently that only showed when you went through to booking phase, the searches come up with an increased fare.

Look at the Jade a Spirit with the new promotion even with the supliments the deals are good prices.

Comment

There are reasonable solo deals out there if you're flexible on date and itinerary.

12 April 2015 - P&O Ventura 13 nights Med from Southampton - £1,189

06 May 2015 - P&O Ventura 14 nights Med with Morocco from Southampton - £1,189

I'm not a fan of P&O, so I won't be booking either, but a fair price if you don't enjoy flying.

Other good solo deals about with MSC, Costa, Cruise & Maritime and Fred Olsen.

It does make me wonder if the larger ships are having a problem filling the cabins.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
            There are reasonable solo deals out there if you're flexible on date and itinerary.

12 April 2015 - P&O Ventura 13 nights Med from Southampton - £1,189

06 May 2015 - P&O Ventura 14 nights Med with Morocco from Southampton - £1,189

I'm not a fan of P&O, so I won't be booking either, but a fair price if you don't enjoy flying.

Other good solo deals about with MSC, Costa, Cruise & Maritime and Fred Olsen.

It does make me wonder if the larger ships are having a problem filling the cabins.
            Hi Blondie

What cabin grade is that??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              Hi Blondie

What cabin grade is that??

Annie
              Hi Annie,

I assume it's an inside cabin. Details on the singles section of the site where the eskimos hang out.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X