• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

128 Single Cabins on Norwegian Epic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

128 Single Cabins on Norwegian Epic

sigpic
    Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Celebrity Eclipse (May 2015)
    Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Good job they are for singles only with the shower unit on full display in the corner!

Comment

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Congrats to NCL for being brave re. their Singles experiment!
      I expect those 128 cabins will sell well, and we'll soon see if it works or not.
      Easy enough to undo it, if it fails -
      -just rip out that block of accommodation at the next dry docking
      and refit the space with whatever's more suitable for earning revenue.

The other recent brave experiment is of course
      Royal Caribbean's massive 'adventure' into two very large ships!
      Time will tell for that one too.
      'Longer term' of course and nowhere near as easily un-doable
      as the NCL Singles experiment
      Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

I do wonder at Oasis and Allure of the seas, nearly 11,000 pasengers to fill both ships - is there really enough capacity around the carribean or will they locate one elsewhere? What % capacity do they need with their business model? Add that to that 4,200 Epic and P&O's new Azura 3,076 passengers - thats some expected growth......
        sigpic
        Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway

Comment

Originally posted by grantthomas, Emsworth View Post
          I do wonder at Oasis and Allure of the seas, nearly 11,000 pasengers to fill both ships
          - is there really enough capacity around the Caribbean
          or will they locate one elsewhere? ===> One will do a repo cruise around S.America,
          -and tackle the West Coast crowd.
          Bear in mind that Oasis and Allure were conceived in planners' minds
          when all was hunky-dorey in the world of $$$.

Then along came the unfortunate economic meltdown
          right in the middle of the tree bearing its overly-large fruit.
          Talk about lousy timing! RCCL must've absolutely reeled and freaked-out
          at this most unfortunate turn of events.

But as happens after all depressions panics and collapses, the world continues to spin
          and economies recover -and people start to spend again.

Sheer novelty value will have many Americans booking these large ships for awhile
          and as that novelty wears off, the economic recovery will be happening nicely(2011-12)
          so in the long run, it'll probably turn out OK for Royal Caribbean
          even if it does look a tad gloomy for awhile,there!

They'll get the bookings.
          The Joy of Air Travel is seeing to it that cruising holidays are gaining popularity
          as word spreads about our choice of unhurried vacationing.

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

The funny thing is that the 128 'Studio cabins' (100 sq ft Bed-sits) were designed for young couples. Stragely Epic has inside cabins at the same price which are bigger at 128 sq ft. However the studio's have access to a private/bar/lounge (The 'Living Room') and a window looking onto a corridor.

Obviously they were not selling well to couples. Maybe NCL made these cabins just too small. A couple would need a rota to get dressed.;)

Still great news for singles (they all get a double ded too).

Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 18th January 2010, 02:28 PM.
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
              I am very excited about this ship, but I do worry about NCL's ability to manage their product at times:

The funny thing is that the 128 'Studio cabins' (100 sq ft Bed-sits) were designed for young couples. Stragely Epic has inside cabins at the same price which are bigger at 128 sq ft. However the studio's have access to a private/bar/lounge (The 'Living Room') and a window looking onto a corridor(?)

Obviously they were not selling well to couples. Maybe NCL made this 'innovative' cabins (their words) just too small. A couple would need a rota to get dressed.;)

So the 'Living Room' becomes a 'singles bar', probaly selling half the number of drinks and the ships passenger capacity shrinks by 6,656 passengers a year (assuming full occupancy) as 128 doubles become singles.

So great news for singles (they all get a double ded) but it sounds like a U-turn (cock-up) by NCL to me.

Drrr why have singles cabins got a double bed? :o
              Have they taken out insurance?

Comment

Charts from NCL briefing, so many excellent comments

On January 13th NCL hosted an event detailing why the Epic is 'breaking the mold' with the single cabins and lounge concept, here are a set of charts used at this briefing. I support so many comments in these charts, lets hope it finally changes the steadfast attitude of the other cruise lines

Image1.jpgImage2.jpgImage3.jpgImage4.jpgImage5.jpgImage6.jpgImage7.jpg
                sigpic

Comment

These "single" cabins are tiny, 100 sq ft. I have sailed in single cabins on other cruise ships and they are significantly larger, usually 160 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Parsman, Ashford View Post
                    These "single" cabins are tiny, 100 sq ft. I have sailed in single cabins on other cruise ships and they are significantly larger, usually 160 or more.
                    Was that Fred Olsen? There are so few single cabins on any cruise ships at present so I applaud the intent and hope that other cruise lines expand on this concept.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by grantthomas, Emsworth View Post
                      Was that Fred Olsen? There are so few single cabins on any cruise ships at present so I applaud the intent and hope that other cruise lines expand on this concept.
                      I hope other lines take note of NCL's move towards single cabins, even if it seems to be have arrived at by accident! Surely it doesn't really matter if the cabins are small, unless you want to sit in solitude for your holiday.

Comment

What is a reasonable percentage of single cabins? Epic's studios will be 6% of the total and if you applied that %age to Ventura there would be 92? On my last cruise on Thomson Celebration it seemed there were only about 5 solo cruisers with the rest of the single cabins taken up by members of parties. In fact only 2 people turned up to the solo breakfast which terminated those activities for the rest of the cruise. In contrast the previous cruise on Thomson Spirit had 16 people turn up to the greet and meet including some who had managed to bag a normal double at a single price. I have seen substantial figures quoted for the percentage of solo cruisers but suspect this is just for the USA market.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X