• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China Live Blog 7#

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China Live Blog 7#

Hi all!
    Here’s my next update of my Imperial Jewels of China tour.

On Thursday we left the Viking Emerald and had an excursion in the morning. We went to the Museum in Wuhan and saw and exhibition of the tomb of Marquis Yi of Zeng. He had buried a musical instrument with him (which was the size of a small room) and we got to watch a performance of it being played. It sounds pretty good considering it doesn’t look like an instrument at all! We also learnt about all the human sacrifices made for his tomb and all the bronze ware he was buried with.

Then we arrived in Shanghai after a quick flight which is our last stop before we go back to England!

Our first evening was spent enjoying the hotel buffet and then a walk along to the Bund. Seeing it all lit up at night was incredible… and makes you wonder about the electricity bill! It was a spectacular light show and it was only a five minute walk from our hotel.

On Friday morning we embarked on our last day of excursions. We first went to old Shanghai to see the gardens which were so pretty.

It’s impressive that all the original structures of the house are still there and that this was really where the nobility of Shanghai lived for so long.

Then we went to a flea market right next to the gardens. The buildings the markets were in were really striking and make it all the more picturesque as you haggled. I ended up buying so much I may need to buy an extra suitcase for the flight home…

For lunch we went to the Shanghai Carpet factory. We ate Mongolian BBQ and created our own choice of stir-fry and then watched three (very cheerful) chefs cook it on a huge hot plate. I had chicken and beef with the “mild” sauce – which was pretty heavy on the garlic! We then took a tour around the factory and saw how silk carpets were made and how silk embroidery was done. It’s a shame that it seems to be a dying skill in China as the work was fantastic. It’s hard to believe the picture below was been sewn!

We then headed to the Museum of Shanghai. These masks were originally from Tibet and were three times the size of my own head.

After a quick look round the exhibitions it was back to the hotel for a rest before our final excursion, the acrobat show.

I didn’t know what to expect from the show – but I certainly hadn’t expected to see a girl juggle tables with her feet or see eight men in motorbikes whizz around a metal ball cage at the same time! It was a lot of fun.

After that it was time to go back to the hotel and say goodbye to our tour guide. We were all sad to see him go! He’s gone above and beyond what you’d expect from a tour guide. Before he left I asked him to write my name in Chinese and asked what it meant. Apparently Rachael means “intelligent autumn.” My friend Rebecca found out her name meant “intelligent baby” so I was quite happy with my translation!

Once we had said our goodbyes we went to a rooftop bar along the Bund. It was called Rouge and it was a hectic mix of ex-pats and travellers from all over. It had amazing views of the river and the skyline and the drinks were pretty good as well!

Today is our last day in Shanghai. We plan to head back to the markets before going for a final group meal. Then it’s back to England and the real world in the morning.

I’ll be sad to leave china – it really has been the trip of a lifetime!

I would definitely come back and recommend this trip to anyone who wants a really interesting and immersive holiday!

Until next time.
    Rach x
    Last edited by Rachael Cruise.co.uk; 23rd July 2015, 04:05 PM.

This trip looks totally amazing. I have never really had any particular urge to go to this part of the world but after reading your blog and looking at the wonderful photos it has totally inspired me to put this on my do to list.

So in summary give us the low down (the reality might bring me down to earth with a bump) price wise.

Who with
    How much
    Exactly was is included
    What is not included

Comment

It's been a real treat reading your blog, seeing your pictures and following you on your wonderful trip Rachael. have a good journey home..............HT

Comment

That looks like my kind of trip Rach.

Thanks for taking the time.........Loved it ..........Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

Your blogs have given us all a great insight into a magnificent trip to China Rachael. Definitely on my list which will hopefully become reality one of these days
          Safe trip back to Blighty
          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
            This trip looks totally amazing. I have never really had any particular urge to go to this part of the world but after reading your blog and looking at the wonderful photos it has totally inspired me to put this on my do to list.

So in summary give us the low down (the reality might bring me down to earth with a bump) price wise.

Who with
            How much
            Exactly was is included
            What is not included
            We are booked on this tour in September with Viking Cruises (opposite direction - Shanghai to Beijing). In this direction it includes a trip to see the Panda's in Chongqing (in a zoo) that is not part of the trip from Beijing to Shanghai (could have seen them in Edinburgh!).

It pays to book early - we booked in March 2014 and it cost £2,450 pp (including early booking discount of £1,000 pp. This to include transfers and hotels (reputedly 5 star) meals etc. and 11 excursions and 3 internal flights. We fly Glasgow - Heathrow - Shanghai and return from Beijing.

Booked in Veranda Stateroom D - currently £3,195 pp including £1,000 pp discount for September 2016. They sell out VERY early.

We also booked a 2 day extension at the start in Shanghai to let us recover from the flight out although this was quite pricey at £649 pp but our TA gave us £50 off pp. There are also tours included with the extension.

We are really looking forward to it and Rachel's blog is really setting the scene.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Rachael, thank you for all your hard work, it has been a fantastic blog and looks amazing. Have a good trip home

Comment

Who with
                How much
                Exactly was is included
                What is not included
                Hi Bradbury
                Rachael isn't in till Wednesday so I'll try to answer a couple of questions - I'm sure she'll have a lot more to say when she gets back in!
                The package was with Viking and it was all inclusive. Flights, cruise, transfers, excursions, drinks and food!
                Pricing depends very much on what time of year you go but considering it's all in all you really need money for is souvenirs!

If you're interested email or PM me and I'll get someone in touch with you about dates and pricing

Comment

Thank you Rachael, the blog and the photo's are amazing thanks for taking the time to give us all a wonderful insight into this wonderful cruise , this is what the cruise dot members who love travelling far and wide really appreciate.CG
                  sigpic

Comment

Who with
                    How much
                    Exactly was is included
                    What is not included
                    Hi Bradbury
                    I'm really glad I've convinced you to put China on your list - it's such a beautiful country to visit!
                    The trip was with Viking and prices start at £2095 for 2016.
                    As Bill mentioned you can get a lot of discount if you book early and prices to extend your trip are pretty reasonable.
                    All my meals were included, and I opted to have the Silver Spirits beverage package on-board which was $154pp per person.
                    If you didn't have the drinks packages you could still enjoy free wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner. There are also self service tea and coffee stations for anyone to use.
                    The excursions were all paid for, apart from 3 optional ones which included the Opera in Beijing, the Peking Duck night in Xi'an and the Acrobatic show in Shanghai.
                    I had the most brilliant time - I hope you complete this trip one day!
                    Rach x

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X