• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China Live Blog 6#

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China Live Blog 6#

Hi all!
    Here’s my next update on my Imperial Jewels of China tour.

On Monday evening we began to sail through the locks and we all stayed up to watch the Three Gorges Dam come into view. It was definitely a bit bigger than the locks you’d find in Europe!

Our excursion on Tuesday morning was to see the Three Gorges Dam up close. It was interesting to hear about how the dam has changed the landscape and the way it has changed the lives of the locals, for good and for bad. If it wasn’t for the dam we wouldn’t be able to cruise up and down the river so easily.

We then took four escalators to the top of the hill to get a view of the whole valley. It was a great view but we were all quite pleased to go back down again as it was 80% humidity!

We then got back on board at sat up on the sun deck to watch the last of the gorges pass us by. They are incredibly scenic and worth a photograph or ten.

It was then time to learn how to play Majong. I’m happy to say I won! Although I’m still not entirely sure how I won… I think it’s one of those games that takes practice!

After dinner we sat and watched the crew show and it was really funny. We saw some dancing, a magician, songs and the best part was a member of staff that performed part of the Beijing Opera which uses masks. It was cleverly done and several people commented it was the best crew show they’d seen.

Yesterday evening was my favourite so far because after the crew show we then docked into Jingzhou (pronounced Jing Joe!) and got off to explore the local area. We went to an amazing restaurant called “Lobster King” and tried a range of local delicacies. Naturally there was a lot of seafood and the crawfish were really good… but I wasn’t brave enough to try the pig’s tail! However I’m told they were also tasty. There was everything from oysters to the leaves of sweet potato out for us to try and it was all really good! It was nice to eat outside with a large group of us and to even see the crew disembarking and eating in the restaurant as well. It was then on to a karaoke bar for some beer and a few songs… the Chinese definitely know how to have a good night out!

This morning we headed to a local school that has been sponsored by Viking. This was the best excursion so far in terms of getting to know the local culture and people. As soon as we entered the gates we were greeted by children playing drums and musical instruments and they then put on a talent show for us. They danced and played music and one little boy played the role of the MC and spoke in perfect English despite being only ten years old!

We then went to the classrooms and I was immediately pulled over to a desk at the front by a tiny girl who had decided she wanted me to sit with her. We listened to the children sing and recite poems and then we got up and sang for them. It was a really enjoyable morning! I then gave the girl next to me a handful of sweets (which she was very happy about!) and then we said our goodbyes to go back to the bus. On the way out we got caught in a downpour but it made it all the more memorable as we ran through puddles 4 inches deep and the children ran alongside us screaming and laughing.

Top Tip: If you’re visiting the school, make sure you bring something with you to give to the children. If you’re visiting in July or August the school would normally be closed and the children are coming in during their holidays to greet you – so a colouring book or a handful of sweets will make their day!

It’s our last night on the boat now and we’ll be having a captain’s cocktail party and dinner. We’re all quite sad to be leaving the boat as the food has been so good and the service has been flawless. I think the best meal I’ve had on the boat so far has been the scallops following by chicken breast and then a chestnut mouse – but it’s hard to pick as it’s all been good!

In the morning we’ll have one last excursion before we fly to Shanghai.

Until next time!
    Rach x
    Last edited by Rachael Cruise.co.uk; 16th July 2015, 10:40 AM.

Rachael I have so enjoyed your blog, not keen on the thought of a chestnut mouse though lol.

You have crammed a lot in and its been a great read, enjoy your last excursion

Comment

Well done Rachael, another really interesting blog. You're going to need another holiday to get over your travels. What an amazing experience . Sue
      BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

It's been really interesting reading your blog and looking at your many photos. What a wonderful trip.................HT

Comment

enjoying the instalments and pics

Comment

Originally posted by Rachael, Birmingham View Post

Top Tip: If you’re visiting the school, make sure you bring something with you to give to the children. If you’re visiting in July or August the school would normally be closed and the children are coming in during their holidays to greet you – so a colouring book or a handful of sweets will make their day!

Rach x
            Thanks for the tip. We sail in the opposite direction boarding at Wuhan. So need to remember to get something for the children in Shanghai!

Loving the blog!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X