• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China Live Blog 4#

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic China Live Blog 4#

China Live Blog 4#

Hi all,
    So today was our trip to see the Terracotta warriors!
    You entered the museum area greeted by the statue above, so you knew you were about to see something special.

We took a golf buggy (which was the biggest I’d ever seen at 12 people to a buggy) to the pits where the statues were.

Walking in and seeing the rows and rows of thousands of soldiers was amazing. You couldn’t believe how many there were – and that they were discovered by accident!

You also got to see how they pieced the warriors back together as they had all been smashed. There was even a team of archaeologists on site.

Along the journey to the warriors we also heard from our tour guide Mary. Our original tour guide Jimmy was still with us, but its Chinese law that you have to have an additional guide from the province you are in, if the tour guide isn’t from that area. Jimmy being with us for the whole trip has been handy so far! But as we were travelling along Mary was telling us about her and her family. Interestingly, she explained how the one child law is relaxing in China now. You can get a permit to have a child, but if you don’t get a permit you cannot use your health insurance to pay for the delivery of the child in hospital. It was nice to hear her speak about her intention to have another child, as that’s a right many of us take for granted!

For lunch we went to a local factory that produces replicas of the warriors. The guide talked us through the process and then we had the chance to buy some if we liked. They weren’t as cheap as the warriors inside the museum – but they were much better quality!

Top Tip: Make sure you haggle, even if the object you want has a price on it if you are buying something in the street. Once I got over my British sense of embarrassment at haggling a few days ago I managed to get a lot of my souvenirs for half the prices on them thanks to this advice from our tour guide!
    After dinner it was off to our optional excursion to the Tang Dynasty Dinner. It was a set menu with free flowing rice wine accompanied by a show which showcased the traditional music, costumes and dance performed in the Tang Dynasty to the emperor. If you wonder what the costumes looked out – check out the below!

I’d definitely recommend it if anyone else was thinking about taking this excursion – you get a real sense of the traditional culture as well of a taste of the shows that China can put on!

Next I’m off to Chongqing to board my ship, so internet will be intermittent – but I’ll post my next blog as soon as I can!
    Until next time!
    Rach x
    Last edited by Rachael Cruise.co.uk; 11th July 2015, 02:27 AM.

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Hi Rachel
    Loving the blog and lucky lady you to visit one place I've always wanted to go ever since we visited the Terracotta Army exhibit at the British Museum.
    I even bought my own little army.

Regards
    Garfield
    I bought a set very similar to this myself! They are so impressive and there's still thousands buried underground now. I wouldn't mind going back in ten years to see how the exhibition has extended!

Leave a comment:

• drewlin, wigan
    replied
    Great photos and what an experience! Wish I'd been there! Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• mauden, billingham
    replied
    Sorry of course I meant blog

Leave a comment:

• mauden, billingham
    replied
    Great bog and photos , keep them coming please .

Leave a comment:

• DUETTO, Staines
    replied
    great blog and photos

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    I would love to have carried your case Rach!

You're giving us a real insight into what can be achieved on a tour. Looking forward to the cruise element of the trip.

Leave a comment:

• Hampshire Thorn, Fareham
    replied
    Another really interesting blog Rachael and great pictures too. You've been on some wonderful trips and haven't even started the cruise yet. Enjoy yourself and we'll look forward to the next instalment..............HT

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Hi Rachel
    Loving the blog and lucky lady you to visit one place I've always wanted to go ever since we visited the Terracotta Army exhibit at the British Museum.
    I even bought my own little army.

Regards
    Garfield

Leave a comment:

• Val, Wolverhampton
    replied
    Wow, must be remarkable to see them, the photo's are wonderful, thank you Rachael

Leave a comment:

• Bigsis, Waterlooville
    replied
    What an amazing trip Rachael, and to see the Terracotta Warriors in the flesh as it were.....wow!

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X