• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beijing Live Blog #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beijing Live Blog #1

Hi all!

Unfortunately Rachael couldn't post this herself - internet is intermittent where she is! So she's asked me to post her blog in her stead.

Hi again everyone!
    So I’ve set off on my 14 night trip around China!

I arrived in Beijing yesterday, and the trip started on a great note as I got incredibly lucky and was upgraded from economy to Club World – which made all the difference! Being able to turn my seat into a bed and have a real sleep was a real luxury.

We spent the day exploring the area around our hotel and taking it easy as the jet lag was a bit brutal! Our hotel was huge with fountains outside and it has its own restaurants, gym, pool and spa.

We tried a local dim sum restaurant in the evening which was really good. It was nice to try real Chinese food and not what you have in a takeaway. One of our group tried chicken claw… he said it was good but I wasn’t brave enough to try it just yet! We over ordered by about 10 dishes but it was nice to try so many different kinds of local food.

One of the first things I noticed about Beijing was how safe you felt in a city so alien, as the streets were quiet, clean and I genuinely felt really safe walking around at night. The skyscrapers all around were incredible too and they remind me of Tetris blocks quite a lot because they’re such odd shapes.

Today we all woke up feeling fresh and headed out on our tour of Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City.

We met up with our Viking Tour guide Jimmy who is hilarious. He talked us through a load of practical advice about our stay as well as being completely honest about which optional excursions are worth your time – it was really refreshing for a tour guide to be so honest!

We then took our coach to the excursion. It’s hard to describe just how huge Tiananmen Square was, but to put it into context there were around 200,000 other people there too!

Below is a picture of our group in front of the oil painting of Mao. It was fascinating learning the history of the city, as I didn’t really know much about Chinese history before my trip!

My favourite part of the day by far was when we entered the Forbidden City.

It’s so huge you could get lost and never find your way out again!

The architecture is stunning and you can see the real living chambers of past emperors – as well as the houses of the hundreds of concubines!

After we had finished at these two sites we headed for lunch at a local hotel for a buffet and then to back to our own hotel. We decided to make use of the 25m pool and the spa and sauna.

Top tip: note that spas in China are pretty liberal – and no one else will wear clothes! We had no idea of this until groups of locals joined us in the Jacuzzis in their birthday suits… It suddenly made sense why each spa was single sex!

I’ll be off for dinner soon and having an early night as we have to meet at 7am tomorrow. Next stop – the Great Wall!

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them!
    Rach x
    Last edited by Fleet Admiral Dave, Redditch; 7th July 2015, 12:51 PM.

Thanks for the blog and the great pictures Rachael, I've never been to mainland China, just HK, so it's all very interesting. Lucky you getting an upgrade to business class on a flight of that length. It's probably a good job you haven't shown any pictures of the spa then ....................HT

Comment

China is on my bucket list....one day hopefully. Looking forward to reading more. Thanks for the insight so far
      BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Great start Rachael, an enjoyable read, thank you!

Comment

Hi Rachel

We will be on a Viking trip (Shanghai to Beijing) in September so really enjoying this first instalment - is your trip the Imperial Jewels of China?

Wow, 7am! That's an early meeting when you are on holiday and so soon after an 11 hour flight - Club World or not. We have chosen the 2 day extension at the beginning of the trip in Shanghai to ease ourselves into it. Having said that, there are still trips organised for that!

What hotel are you in? We are booked in the Ritz-Carlton.

Naked Jacuzzi's? That's off the list then!

I hope the rest is as wonderful as the start - enjoy!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Great start to your blog Rachel and I don't know who sorted the layout but it makes it easy on the eye with just the right amount of pictures to text.
            Regards
            Garfield

Comment

Nice Blog and great pictures,I agree with Garfield nice easy to read layout..Taffy
              ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                Hi Rachel

We will be on a Viking trip (Shanghai to Beijing) in September so really enjoying this first instalment - is your trip the Imperial Jewels of China?

Wow, 7am! That's an early meeting when you are on holiday and so soon after an 11 hour flight - Club World or not. We have chosen the 2 day extension at the beginning of the trip in Shanghai to ease ourselves into it. Having said that, there are still trips organised for that!

What hotel are you in? We are booked in the Ritz-Carlton.

Naked Jacuzzi's? That's off the list then!

I hope the rest is as wonderful as the start - enjoy!

Bill

Hi Bill!
                Yes it is the Imperial Jewels of China

I'm in the Kerry Hotel Beijing, Hilton Xi'an and Westin Bund Centre Shanghai but from meeting some of our other passengers on excursions they all seem pretty good!

Yes - I'd beware the naked jacuzzi's - it gave many members of our group quite a fright!

Hope you have a lovely trip

Rach

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X