• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live Blog - Beijing Bound!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic Live Blog - Beijing Bound!

Live Blog - Beijing Bound!

Hi all,
    You probably don’t know me but I’m one of the online copywriters for www.CRUISE.co.uk - in fact if you ever take a look over at the www.CRUISE.co.uk/news section you’ve probably already read some of my stuff!

I’ve just booked a river cruise on the Yangtze (nothing like jumping in at the deep end!) and Wi-Fi willing I’ll be blogging live whilst I’m out there.

I’ve been on a river cruise before (but only with Scenic around Amsterdam) so I'm not quite sure what to expect from China! In fact I’ve never been anywhere near the Far East so I’m expecting a bit of a culture shock (if any of you know James can you have a word – he keeps nagging me to try all the grossest foods he can think of!)

Hopefully some of you will follow my blog (please – it’s horrible writing and knowing no one’s reading it ) and if you’ve got any questions (or better yet advice!!!!) please drop by, say hi and let me know.

Speak soon,

Rachael

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    Will look forward to your blog Rachel, I won't be visiting there, but enjoy others adventures! I would pass on the insects if I were you!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Rachael, Birmingham View Post
    And Wilba - I look forward to trying those scorpions with slight trepidation!
    Not to worry everyone - I've made it clear there'll be hell to pay if she doesn't munch on a scorpion or two!

Leave a comment:

• cornish girl, falmouth
    replied
    Hi Rachael, I shall be following your blog [although I am unlikely to go that far these days]I love to sit and read others experience 's and look forward to it.CG

Leave a comment:

• drewlin, wigan
    replied
    Hi Rachel, Drew and I will be following your blog and will comment as we know from experience what hard work writing a blog is but it is very enjoyable and great fun. Looking forward to the photos so hope wifi permits!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for your feedback guys!
    I'll try my best to look out for comparisons between European boats and Chinese boats.
    I'll also do my best to include as many pictures as I can (WiFi permitting!)
    And Wilba - I look forward to trying those scorpions with slight trepidation!

Rach

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
    I'm still really interested in River Cruises so I'll follow your blog with interest!

When are you leaving?
    Hi Duncan!
    I start my trip on the 5th of July - not long to go now!

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Hi Val .
    Of course people will read your blog but they may not all comment on it?
    Most Blogs get plenty of hits and not always lots of comments .
    Have a great time and your blog will get read..Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Val, Wolverhampton
    replied
    Hi Rachael, I look forward to your blog, it sounds like a fab adventure.

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    We had a five day cruise on the Yangtze last year as part of a land tour of China. The food on board was quite bland, it seemed to us like Chinese food simplified to suit what they thought westerners would enjoy. On the boat there was a choice of Western or Chinese food, nothing gross! Beware of the Great Wall wines, they are not great in any way. I drank beer most of the time, very light and quite palatable even to me who hadn't had a beer in thirty years apart from an occasional shandy in hot weather.

Have a wonderful time, we certainly did.

Sheila

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    You have my attention regarding the Far East.

Just to add to Mrs M's advice about hawker food, start of with the deep fried crickets before moving on to the hardcore deep fried scorpions.

After ten bottles of Tiger Beer you won't care what you are eating..........Wilba

Leave a comment:

• Dancourt, Chatham
    replied
    Hi Rachael

I will definitely follow your blog, I love reading about other peoples travels so I am looking forward to it.

Susan

Leave a comment:

• Hampshire Thorn, Fareham
    replied
    This sounds interesting. I'm sure the food will be fine - our Chinese Takeaway offers Omelette and Chips, what more could you want?

We will be reading all about it so blog on Rachael and have a really good time................HT

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    I'm looking forward to following your blog too, although the far east really is not on my bucket list, I am interested in other peoples experience of it .................................................. .................................................. ............

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    I shall be following your blog Rachael. I would LOVE to cruise the Yangtze.

Now, food. Having lived in S.E.Asia, and eaten in what Europeans would term 'extremely dodgy' Chinese Coffee [not much coffee sold or drunk] shops my recommendation is, if you're not sure what it is... don't ask and you'll be fine!

I can't imagine you'll be taken to the kind of places I used to eat in, as a European sense of hygiene would be offended, big style. Just be careful where you eat when out and about and if you eat from a Hawker stall, make sure there is running water around so the cooking implements can occasionally be washed.
    Road side stalls with buckets of water, changed once or twice during the day, in which plates and cooking implements are dunked are NOT good for our delicate stomachs.

You will have a ball. I am SO envious.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X