• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Antoinette - Final thoughts on river cruising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Antoinette - Final thoughts on river cruising

This was certainly the most relaxed cruise I've ever done. If I've any complaint about it it would be that at times it was a bit too relaxed, wondering around town in the mornings, relaxing in the afternoons and then early to bed after dinner.
    However that being said I'm well aware that I'm not a river cruise lines target market.
    If you're 55 plus and want to see some destinations that ocean cruises can't get to, if you just want to drift down the river relaxing and do nothing, if you want to try some amazing food surrounded by luxury then a river cruise is for you.
    The fact that you can just get on and off as you want and wander straight into town with no transfers is a massive plus; you just have to be aware that that the pace of life will be a lot slower than you may be used to on an ocean going vessel.

As to Uniworld and the SS Antoinette in general, nothing has really changed since my first impressions. The ship is beautiful. Very comfortable and chilled out onboard with the decor looking like it was lifted straight from 17th Century Versailles.

IMG_3728.jpg

This was the first river cruise I've ever done so it wouldn't be fair to compare it to any other brands but what really made them stand out for me was the little touches. The crew would remember you're drink orders from night to night; by the second day all the crew had learned your name and would greet you as you walked about the ship; the cabins all had three types of plug sockets, European, English and American. Also the Captain was much more involved with the passengers than on an ocean cruise, greetings guests, sitting with you at dinner, making speeches etc.
    It makes for a much more friendly intimate atmosphere and for a much more enjoyable cruise experience in general - My recommendation? You should definitely try it at least once.

Happy, (river), cruising
    Last edited by James, Cruise.co.uk; 21st November 2012, 10:02 AM.

James how does this compare pricewise to a seven night Med cruise and exactly what is included/not included in the price?.........Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
      James how does this compare pricewise to a seven night Med cruise and exactly what is included/not included in the price?.........Wilba
      The cruise I was on was called Castles along the Rhine and the 2012 brochure has the price starting from £1750pp, (height of season obviously being more). With that however you get free home pick up to the airport, (within 75 miles), free flights, free drinks and free excursions. My onboard account at the end of the cruise came to 9 euros so I guess the question really comes down to how much you normally spend on drinks and shore excursions, but from my point of view it was a great deal.

Comment

Ouch!!! I never get close to spending that on a typical 7 nighter.........and I do drink!!!!
        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
          Ouch!!! I never get close to spending that on a typical 7 nighter.........and I do drink!!!!
          That's with Uniworld though who are right there at the top of the market. There are many, many other cruise lines out there ranging in prices from as low as £800pp right up to this kind of fare. If it's something anyone's interested in it's worth ringing up and chatting to us about - I was at a river cruise expo in Amsterdam at the end of this cruise and there really is a cruise for every budget. They all do a similiar itinerary, it's what is and isn't included that changes.

Comment

Thanks James, a great blog, certainly food for thought!
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              Thanks James, a great blog, certainly food for thought!
              I'm busy uploading some pictures now Malcolm and I'll send you a link as soon as I'm finished

Comment

Hear, hear a very good blog thanks James. If you can email me a list of 0% single supplement Uniworld trips James I'd be grateful and if they do the Moscow to St.Petes I'd be interested in that as an adventure for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
                  Hear, hear a very good blog thanks James. If you can email me a list of 0% single supplement Uniworld trips James I'd be grateful and if they do the Moscow to St.Petes I'd be interested in that as an adventure for the future.
                  The rep has promised to email me a list of them over the next couple of days and I was going to put them on the forum, (I'll send you a private email as well). I was also at the river cruise expo on Sunday and Monday in Amsterdam and have found a couple of river lines with dedicated solo cabins

Comment

As promised here are all the pictures of the trip, (the ones that I can show in public anyway)
                    Just click the link below..........
                    James' Jetsam - Your Cruise Expert: Uniworld - SS Antoinette

Comment

Originally posted by James, Cruise.co.uk View Post
                      As promised here are all the pictures of the trip, (the ones that I can show in public anyway)

Thanks James, enjoyed the blog and the pictures. Very impressed with SS Antoinette and the food looks delicious.

Comment

Looks very nice indeed James.............Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Great photos selection of photos James. You've managed to capture the essence of the boat and whilst I agree, some of it does look a little on the chintzy side [I'm of the 'plain is more' school of design] the overall impression is of one, very classy boat.
                          Thank you.

Comment

For anyone that has been following this topic from the start I've gone back and added some pictures to all the posts of what I was upto that day.

Comment

Thank you so much for this James, I really enjoyed your blog - river cruising may well be something we will consider in the future as I like the sound of the relaxed way of life on board. I think it would have to be a summer cruise though, I wouldn't fancy it as much in cooler, rainy weather!
                              BTW your photos were super !!! I was particularly impressed with the food photos - what camera are you using?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X