• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Antoinette - Day five

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Antoinette - Day five

Todays program had us in Rudesheim by 8:30 but we didn't leave the ship till 10:00am so we all got a nice lie in. After breakfast we headed for a wine tasting tour at a place called Castle Vollrads which grows the Riesling grapes.

If my tour guide is to be believed Riesling wine is the best wine in the universe and there's no point even trying any others, (he may have been a bit biased). Still I did learn all about ice wine, something most of us had never heard of before which was quite interesting, (wine made from grapes frozen on the vine in winter).
    After that we headed back to the ship for another great buffet lunch before coming to one of the highlights of the trip, sailing down the Rhine Gorge. However this actually left me feeling slightly disappointed.
    Don't get me wrong, there was some stunning scenery and in the space of three hours we saw over twenty castles but when I found out about this trip this was how I'd imagined the whole thing, drifting down the river enjoying beautiful scenery but a lot of the places we've sailed past up to now have been quite built up, either residential or industrial, we've had to leave the river and go in land for the views.

Today was the first day I could really call it a 'romantic Rhine cruise', (not that I had anyone to be romantic with I hasten to add incase my wifes reading this).
    Something I really did like and goes back to those 'little touches' Uniworld seem to be so good at was that when everyone was up on deck admiring the views all the staff were about handing out blankets with a hot water bottle wrapped up inside. It was just a little thing but I thought it was really nice someone had thought to do that.
    Dinner that evening was quite interesting, it was an Epicurean feast based on German cuisine so we had............

Potato pancakes with a beet mousse
    Sauerkraut and sausage consume
    Sirloin of beef with roast vegetables served with a little pot of shepherds pie made from oxtail
    Apple Strudel with home made currant and quark ice-cream.

IMG_3915.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

Uniworld had then arranged a classical music quartet to come on for the evening entertainment in the main lounge - all in all another very relaxing day!

Happy, (river), cruising
    Attached Files
    Last edited by James, Cruise.co.uk; 21st November 2012, 09:57 AM.

All sounds rather interesting James.
    How would those who have a walking difficulty cope on a river trip like this? Would any of the the excursions be tailored for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
      All sounds rather interesting James.
      How would those who have a walking difficulty cope on a river trip like this? Would any of the the excursions be tailored for them?
      It would depend on the level of the walking difficulty but we're always docked in the middle of town if you just want to amble on your own. There's always an 'intensive' and a 'relaxed' walk to pick from as well. I've been doing the intensive and it's still left me feeling really relaxed everday - the only time I've felt tired was when I decided to climb to the top of a cathedral to see the view.
      The only thing it wouldn't really be suitable for is wheelchair users. The ship isn't adapted for them and a lot of the towns and villages have cobble streets.

Comment

Originally posted by James, Cruise.co.uk View Post
        It would depend on the level of the walking difficulty but we're always docked in the middle of town if you just want to amble on your own. There's always an 'intensive' and a 'relaxed' walk to pick from as well. I've been doing the intensive and it's still left me feeling really relaxed everday - the only time I've felt tired was when I decided to climb to the top of a cathedral to see the view.
        The only thing it wouldn't really be suitable for is wheelchair users. The ship isn't adapted for them and a lot of the towns and villages have cobble streets.
        So no coach trip alternative to the gentle walking tour of the cobbled streets?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
          So no coach trip alternative to the gentle walking tour of the cobbled streets?
          There have been coach trips but normally taking you somewhere, they're just the transport not the point of the trip

Comment

Originally posted by James, Cruise.co.uk View Post
            There have been coach trips but normally taking you somewhere, they're just the transport not the point of the trip
            Thanks James.

Comment

depending on the river and time of year there will be a lot of scenic sailing during the day

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X