• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cruise on Scenic Jade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Thanks for this Ruth, very informative.

    I wouldn't worry about being the youngest onboard Duncan.

    When I was younger I remember enjoying being with older people on holiday & never gave it much thought. I can enjoy being with people of any age. One of the only things my husband disliked about the cruises we've been on is that there have been so few children onboard. Transatlantics don't attract them. Some of our friends always choose holidays for adults only which I wouldn't really like.

    Never mind he'll enjoy himself in Disneyworld in September no doubt. All ages, sizes & shapes are there in all their glory!

    Comment


      #17
      These trips do seem expensive, and as I'm TT, I wouldn't really benefit from AI. Otherwise, very tempting indeed.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

        One Comment: The cruise.dot staff are obviously undertaking River cruises to experience them and promote them. Nothing wrong with that - it shows a thoughtful and shrewd employer. However I suspect no one is going to say "it was rubbish".
        When it's an all paid for taster of the product, you're expected to provide a superb review.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by antalismy, UK View Post
          When it's an all paid for taster of the product, you're expected to provide a superb review.
          I don't think that's necessarily true. My understanding is that most of these jollies are designed to educate staff on the experience of a particular line and help them understand who would and would not enjoy the line.

          I know CruiseDot have asked many forum members to blog a complementary cruise before (myself included) and there was no expectation of a favourable review, just an honest one!
          Duncan S

          See my blog!

          Comment


            #20
            I fancy a river cruise but I do think they seem pricey compared to a cruise ship. The river ships must cost a fraction to build compared to a cruise ship the facilities are limited so I just can't see why the prices are so much more. Obviously some people are very happy to pay the prices as there are so many more being built but there will have to be a real bargain before I book one...Carol

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
              I know CruiseDot have asked many forum members to blog a complementary cruise before (myself included) and there was no expectation of a favourable review, just an honest one!
              Agreed Duncan, but the world does look great on-board a 'free' cruise, sitting on your 'free' balcony, with a 'free' glass of champagne in your hand!

              I'm pretty convinced that if I was sent on a free 7 night, £2,000 river cruise, I'd tell you that it was great. If I paid 2K for it myself, I suspect that I'd be telling you that it was good, but very OVERPRICED!

              (I do accept that until someone sends me, I will never really know!)
              Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 5th May 2014, 01:23 PM.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                Agreed Duncan, but the world does look great on-board a 'free' cruise, sitting on your 'free' balcony, with a 'free' glass of champagne in your hand!

                I'm pretty convinced that if I was sent on a free 7 night, £2,000 river cruise, I'd tell you that it was great. If I paid 2K for it myself, I suspect that I'd be telling you that it was good, but very OVERPRICED!

                (I do accept that until someone sends me, I will never really know!)
                Overpriced.

                Overpricd in comparison to...what?

                Other river cruises or other forms of travel/ holidaying?

                If the market will sustain these prices [and Scenic are up there amongst the top end of river cruising lines] then surely, it cannot be overpriced. Too expensive for some pockets, maybe, but overpriced?

                Only time will tell.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                  If the market will sustain these prices [and Scenic are up there amongst the top end of river cruising lines] then surely, it cannot be overpriced.
                  Next Mrs M you will be telling me that UK accommodation, my annual train pass, petrol, gas and electricity are NOT overpriced - as the market sustains them all.

                  I feel the profit margin on European river cruises must be very high.

                  I do understand that the boats are small, carrying only a few hundred people (max), but they also don't cost billions of dollars to build. Fuel must be a much cheaper too, given the slow speeds, smaller engines and calm waters. I assume that there are less officers to pay and the crew are probably low paid. Maintenance must also be simpler/cheaper.

                  I just don't understand why European river cruises can sometimes cost £300 pp, per day or more. A Nile cruises have always been relatively cheap, even on a nice modern boat. Although I do accept that food on a Nile cruise is normally not exactly gourmet.

                  What I am really saying is: that there is not such a defined choice of luxury, premium, standard and budget products within river cruising. Most are aimed and priced to be luxury products.
                  Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 5th May 2014, 03:45 PM.
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                    Next Mrs M you will be telling me that UK accommodation, my annual train pass, petrol, gas and electricity are NOT overpriced as the market sustains them all!

                    I feel the profit margin on river cruises must be very high, given the fact that the staff are probably low paid.

                    I do understand that the boats are small, carrying only a few hundred people, but they also don't cost billions of dollars to build.

                    Fuel must be a much cheaper too, given the slow speeds, smaller engines and calm waters. I assume that there are less officers to pay. Maintenance must also be simpler/cheaper.

                    I just don't understand why river cruises can sometimes cost £300 pp, per day or more.
                    Ha...nice try, but a totally inappropriate analogy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your train pass, gas and electricity etc are all part of the daily grind and are a necessary evil rather than an optional purchase.

                    A luxury/optional product such as a cruise, river or ocean, which is very expensive to some but not to others is not necessarily overpriced, especially if it sells.

                    Some may find it rather difficult to see why the product is priced as it is, but if folk buy into the product, the price will remain... expensive.

                    If it was overpriced, the market wouldn't sustain it and let's face it, if an ocean cruise can cost £4/500 a day, why can't a river cruise cost £300 a day?
                    Different strokes for different folks.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                      Some may find it rather difficult to see why the product is priced as it is, but if folk buy into the product, the price will remain... expensive.
                      I concede!

                      I still don't understand why they sell like hot-cakes?
                      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 5th May 2014, 09:24 PM.
                      See my cruise blog: HERE

                      Comment


                      We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.


                      By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

                      Working...
                      X