• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cruise on Scenic Jade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cruise on Scenic Jade

I am now home after an amazing few days on the Scenic Jade. I can highly recommend this cruise and you can read my full report on http://roamingruthstravels.co.uk/?p=539

Everyone on board was very impressed and said it was by far the most superior river cruise they have been on which speaks for itself.
    I have worked in the cruise industry for 24 years and have travelled to some amazing places and cruised with many different cruise lines. Why not visit my website www.roamingruthstravels.co.uk for more information and to see how my cutomers have rated my service. Please call me on 0800 408 6102 or email ruthg@cruise.co.uk for any help or advice.

That was good to read, and the ship and cabin looks modern and spacious.

How would you say the experience and on-board environment compares to ocean cruising. Clearly there is less to do and less entertainment, but did you have longer in each port? If so, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad!

The concept of a river cruise appeals to me a lot in that you always have beautiful scenery to look at, and always arrive right in the city you want to visit. However, I feel like I'd stand out like a sore thumb at 26 years old! Am I old before my time, I wonder...

Also, I tried to find prices to satisfy my curiosity, but can't seem to find any details on the Scenic Tours website, or on http://rivercruises.co.uk which I believe is the CruiseDot river cruise site? I suspect it might be a case of "If you have to ask..."
    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth, cruise View Post
      I am now home after an amazing few days on the Scenic Jade. I can highly recommend this cruise and you can read my full report on My cruise on Scenic Jade | Roaming Ruths Travels

Everyone on board was very impressed and said it was by far the most superior river cruise they have been on which speaks for itself.
      Thanks for an interesting review Ruth, I enjoyed reading about your experience on board.

I think it goes to show that there is a huge difference between the standard river cruise companies and those, such as Scenic, who offer a superior luxury product.

I can see from the Scenic Tours website that they have several special offers at the moment, but I don't know whether I would be prepared to pay £2,000+ for an 8 day tour.
      Last edited by Blondie, Oxford; 2nd May 2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
        Am I old before my time, I wonder...
        Duncan, I suppose you are! I was too!

Even in my late teens I was attracted to cultural and far-away places when many of my friend just wanted to fly to Spain and get drunk (etc.). I've have been on tours abroad (including coach tours) when I was your age Duncan and loved them. Did I stand out like a sore thumb - yes! Did I care - no!

The older generation were often more fun than people of my own age.

When I was 40, I got into cruising - my delay was the cost at the time, with a lack of mass-market ships.

I'm now interested in river cruising. I am still under the average age, although nearer to it than you Duncan. I'm not put off by this, it's the cost!

One Comment: The cruise.dot staff are obviously undertaking River cruises to experience them and promote them. Nothing wrong with that - it shows a thoughtful and shrewd employer. However I suspect no one is going to say "it was rubbish". The fact that they are travelling with work colleagues (possibly of a similar age) must change the experience quite a lot.

Duncan, your experience at 26 with your partner, on a river cruise, surrounded by strangers who might have an average age of 60+ might feel quite different.
        Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 2nd May 2014, 11:41 AM.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Ah Duncan,dont worry about what anyone thinks,if you like it,do it! Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
            ... but I don't know whether I would be prepared to pay £2,000+ for an 8 day tour.
            That's around the fare that Viking often want (minimum) for 7-8 day river cruise in a veranda cabin.

Would Ruth pay £2,000 for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              That's around the fare that Viking often want (minimum) for 7-8 day river cruise in a veranda cabin.

Would Ruth pay £2,000 for it?
              Now there's an interesting question.

I suppose it relates back to what I was saying in the thread about paying more and getting more. Someone with loads of money might not think twice about it, as that's what it costs, but for someone like me for whom £5,000 is a lot of money it becomes more difficult to justify spending it on a one week cruise that doesn't seem to offer value for money.

And to both you and Jan - I think if the right price came along I would do it, purely for the itinerary and visiting lots of places. Worst case scenario is a table for two and a relaxing time on the veranda with my Kindle in the evenings
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Hi, yes the ship was modern and spacious and beautifully designed. I never felt crowded and the open deck was very nice with plenty of chairs and sunbeds and plenty of shade aswell. The on board experience was more superior to most ocean cruises in terms of the service. because they are small ships the service is much more attentive and friendly and the staff knew everyone individually and made everyone feel special. It was like being away with family and friends. Also the food was amazing. There was a good choice and everything was cooked to perfection. Breakfast was a buffet with there was also the choice of ordering fresh from the menu. Lunch was either a buffet in the main restaurant or the café offered a choice of soups, salads, finder sandwiches, burgers, fish and chips and freshly cooked pizza. What I liked about the buffet was that because there are small numbers there was never a queue for anything and everything was fresh and hot. Tea and coffee were served to you and there were chilled bottles of Moet & Chandon in the buffet area for breakfast to help yourself to. When you are in port you are there for longer than ocean cruises to give you maximum time to see more than one point of interest. For example they were 2 days in Vienna so passengers got to see Vienna, go the concert in the evening and the following day had the chance to go back to Vienna or maybe do a tour of Bratislava. Most people are out during the day sightseeing so the ship is quiet during the day. In the evening it is very sociable with most people retiring after a few post dinner drinks. Because the says are very busy it didn't seem too early to go to bed because you wanted to be and ready to enjoy the following day. The scenery when cruising is amazing so I was quite happy to sit with a glass of champagne and watch the world go by.
                I
                d
                o
                s
                t
                I
                l
                I have worked in the cruise industry for 24 years and have travelled to some amazing places and cruised with many different cruise lines. Why not visit my website www.roamingruthstravels.co.uk for more information and to see how my cutomers have rated my service. Please call me on 0800 408 6102 or email ruthg@cruise.co.uk for any help or advice.

Comment

The prices would be available on a request basis so if there is something of interest please let me know and I will provide a quote to you.

Comment

Yes there can be a significant price difference but I guess you get what you pay for. They are superior but they include everything so are fully inclusive and when you compare this to other holidays it may not always be as much as it seems.

Comment

Yes I would pay that considering what is included. There was also a young couple from Australia on our cruise who actually got engaged while they were there an they were a lot younger than me. They had a brilliant time and made some great friends with their fellow passengers during their cruise . If I wasn't impressed with the cruise would say so because we are encouraged to write an unbiased report when we return as we want our customers to trust us and return in the future. I would recommend this to all ages other than families with young children.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
                        Thanks for an interesting review Ruth, I enjoyed reading about your experience on board.

I think it goes to show that there is a huge difference between the standard river cruise companies and those, such as Scenic, who offer a superior luxury product.

I can see from the Scenic Tours website that they have several special offers at the moment, but I don't know whether I would be prepared to pay £2,000+ for an 8 day tour.
                        Now there's an interesting question.

I suppose it relates back to what I was saying in the thread about paying more and getting more. Someone with loads of money might not think twice about it, as that's what it costs, but for someone like me for whom £5,000 is a lot of money it becomes more difficult to justify spending it on a one week cruise that doesn't seem to offer value for money.

And to both you and Jan - I think if the right price came along I would do it, purely for the itinerary and visiting lots of places. Worst case scenario is a table for two and a relaxing time on the veranda with my Kindle in the evenings
                        We would love to do a River Cruise but I think it is the price what puts us off, whether we are prepared to spend over £5,000 on a weeks holiday, and what we would get for our money.

Just a coincidence Lorraine received a Vikings River Cruise brochure in the post this week, although we had not sent for one.
                        At the moment they are offering a £1,000 discount for booking early, the cheapest 8 day cruise early and late in the year with the discount starts at £1,295 for a standard cabin. The same standard cabin in May/Sept is £2,095 (£3,095 without the discount ), the cheapest balcony cabin during this period is £2,645 (£3,645 without the discount. These prices are per person.

These prices also include your flights.
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Now there's Worst case scenario is a table for two and a relaxing time on the veranda with my Kindle in the evenings
                          Does not sound so bad, does it!

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                          At the moment they are offering a £1,000 discount for booking early, the cheapest 8 day cruise early and late in the year with the discount starts at £1,295 for a standard cabin.
                          I now get their brochures very regularly!

Yes Del Boy - the 'Viking' fares only looks 'reasonable' (to me) if you cruise in the winter months and have a cabin with a window, NOT veranda/balcony.

Now exploring port, especially, on foot, in the winter does not seem over attractive to me.

Given that there will probably be scenery on each side of the ship for the entire voyages, not having a veranda is not a very attractive proposition to me. (Less attractive to me than having a inside cabin on an ocean cruise).
                          Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 2nd May 2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                            Does not sound so bad, does it!
                            Not really, no!
                            Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Yes, thanks for the review Ruth.

With fares of £4-5K for a week, I still don't see where the "value" is that all the River cruise lines talk about.

We (Mr and Mrs Malcolm) do not drink a lot and the excursions are never worth as much as we sometimes pay.

I'd need picking up from my doorstep, by private helicopter and then put onto a private Lear-jet, before I could see the "value".

Sorry!

(Maybe I'm just tight?)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X