• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The www.CRUISE.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fred Olsen's venture into river cruising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact remains that it wasn't a Fred Olsen river cruise - it was a re-badged Amadeus cruise. So it was unlikely to resemble a FO voyage. If you want to sail with Amadeus, consider past reviews of that ship and if you are happy with the content, book with Amadeus.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTroll, Leicester View Post
      The fact remains that it wasn't a Fred Olsen river cruise - it was a re-badged Amadeus cruise. So it was unlikely to resemble a FO voyage. If you want to sail with Amadeus, consider past reviews of that ship and if you are happy with the content, book with Amadeus.
      I know what you are saying, however when I was chatting to the cruise manager on board (who I knew from my cruises on Boudicca), he told me that they were working on creating a Fred Olsen ethos on Brabant.
      Jill

Comment

Very interesting review - thanks. I’m actively looking at river cruises and FO is now off the list as is Croisi (thanks to Malcolm’s warning!). I remember Michael Portillo visited the cuckoo clock place and sampled their Black Forest gateau.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
          Very interesting review - thanks. I’m actively looking at river cruises and FO is now off the list as is Croisi (thanks to Malcolm’s warning!). I remember Michael Portillo visited the cuckoo clock place and sampled their Black Forest gateau.
          I didn't see the programme but it was an interesting place, apart from the delicious BF gateau. There were Cuckoo clocks everywhere. Personally, I can't even stand ticking clocks, let alone cuckoos. Needless to say, I didn't buy one. Apologies for the poor qualityof the photo.IMG_20190626_112152.jpg
          Jill

Comment

Thank you for this... we did wonder about trying Fred's new venture, because we've travelled widely in that region both by car and train (from Utrecht to Vienna on one occasion), and the difficulty with those ways is luggage, and always looking for a decent restaurant! To be honest, we can cope with limited choice meals, and don't really need entertaining after a hard day's sightseeing; once their problems are sorted we might think again.
            Perhaps Fred will send you out to test them for us in a year's time?
            Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
              Thank you for this... we did wonder about trying Fred's new venture, because we've travelled widely in that region both by car and train (from Utrecht to Vienna on one occasion), and the difficulty with those ways is luggage, and always looking for a decent restaurant! To be honest, we can cope with limited choice meals, and don't really need entertaining after a hard day's sightseeing; once their problems are sorted we might think again.
              Perhaps Fred will send you out to test them for us in a year's time?
              Yes Jo. For the time being I would leave them to sort out their operational problems. Next year they are chartering a bigger vessel and hopefully, Fred would have learned from all the constructive criticism they have received.

I would be happy to do a test run for them in a couple of years time, provided I could take the train to boat and have to fly.

I really hate the airport hassle these days.
              Jill

Comment

It has been a very interesting and informative review. I know you are a Fred fan so I take your impression as very valid and it would seem there is big room for improvement.

I hope they are taking comments seriously and act on the feedback...Carol

Comment

I think FO have let themselves down with this, they a very heavy on their brand/product and should have nailed it on the river cruise.

Chartered ships with crew and sometime hotel staff is not something new in the industry and companies that do this successfully retain their own brand identity for the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                    It has been a very interesting and informative review. I know you are a Fred fan so I take your impression as very valid and it would seem there is big room for improvement.

I hope they are taking comments seriously and act on the feedback...Carol
                    Thanks Carol and yes, they are taking comments very seriously according my phone conversation with Head Office and with the the cruise manager on board Brabant.
                    Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                      I think FO have let themselves down with this, they a very heavy on their brand/product and should have nailed it on the river cruise.

Chartered ships with crew and sometime hotel staff is not something new in the industry and companies that do this successfully retain their own brand identity for the customer.
                      I agree with you and hope that they can sort themselves out or just stick to Ocean cruising.

Jill

Comment

I think it was Olsen junior who made the comment that they've been searching for another ship to add to their fleet, but nothing suitable has come up... perhaps the river cruising has been another option for them?
                        Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                          I think it was Olsen junior who made the comment that they've been searching for another ship to add to their fleet, but nothing suitable has come up... perhaps the river cruising has been another option for them?
                          Somebody told me Jo that because river cruising is becoming ever more popular, Fred saw it is as worth trying it.
                          Jill

Comment

Then I think they'll manage to do it perfectly in the future, with all their experience.
                            Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X