• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drewlin's Rhine Ramble - All Aboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drewlin's Rhine Ramble - All Aboard

All aboard

Captain’s Blog - Emerald Stardate 14251.7

After an excellent breakfast we set off to explore some of Cologne before boarding the Emerald Star. We took the tram and planned to leave our luggage at the main railway station. We got off the underground at the Cathedral. We couldn’t find the station but there was a large building called the Hbf. We went in there to ask where the station was, and as luck would have it, there was a machine where we could hide our cases.

Before looking at some of the sights we set off to find the river. Naturally we set off in the wrong direction – Drew (known at work as Fatnav) hadn’t been recalibrated. As we were walking the enemy arrived – three coaches with Viking River Cruises passengers. They parked in front of us and as they emptied the pavement was completely blocked. In order to clear a path Drew shouted “Make way for Emerald Waterways!”

We eventually found our way to the river and checked out some of the competition’s boats. Drew spotted a cruise boat sailing under a bridge and said “I bet that is ours”. He was right and the Emerald Star looked great as it sailed past. We followed it to its mooring point and then returned to the Hbf for our bags. Thankfully as you can see from the photo there was a sign pointing to the Hbf. Still haven’t found out where the railway station is yet!

As we returned to pick up our cases we located a nice restaurant on the waterfront where we would stop for lunch. Drew has always wanted me to come to Germany for a Bratwurst (or Bratty) with chips and mayo. He likes his with mustard, so he duly ordered these together with a Jaegermeister and Diet Coke for me and a beer for him. His German is just about good enough for this and I am pleased to say that what he thought he was ordering duly arrived.

After lunch we checked in. This was the most unusual and civilised check in procedure. We walked on with our cases and before we had even found reception we were welcomed aboard. We handed over our passports and were given our room key fobs and then shown to our Panorama Balcony Suite. The suite is beautifully appointed. The balcony is unusual, as it is inside the cabin. The upper part of the window drops down to provide the full balcony effect. This is a clever use of the space, although for those of you used to a balcony on an ocean cruiser you may find that you are limited to how you use it. The only blind is next to the window, so if one of you is getting dressed the other cannot chill out on the balcony with a drink.

An initial tour of the ship was very pleasing. The lounge area looks very tranquil and Christian the bar man was very cheerful. We expect to get to know him quite well over the coming days. The restaurant was all set and if the food is as tasty and as well presented as the dining room then we will be well satisfied.

We are docked opposite the Chocolate Museum, so we headed off to visit it, only to discover it was closed. So we have returned to the ship and have sampled the coffee maker, which is excellent. There is also a selection of teas. I enjoy a Camomile tea each evening and I was delighted to see that they have this in their selection.
    Everything so far suggests we will enjoy our time on board and we are looking forward to getting to know our fellow travellers, who are mainly Australian, over the next few days.

There will hopefully be a fuller report on life aboard the Emerald Star tomorrow, once we have had a chance to sample the facilities in greater detail. In the meantime some of our photographs can be viewed at. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...7555539&type=3
    and https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...7555539&type=3
    Today’s total photo count 114.
    Cheers Drew and Linda

Wow, the cabin looks really bright and airy and quite spacious for a river cruise. Love the floor to ceiling windows.
    Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Evening both of you.
      The blog so far has lived up to expectations based on your prelude.
      Humorous and informative in equal measure...and not over reliant on photos.
      Keep up the good work but most of all enjoy yourselves ... 👍
      Regards
      Garfield

Comment

Great start............Look forward to all that is to follow.............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
          I agree. Looking forward to a very good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
            I agree, great photograph, looking forward to the next blog.
            Oriana
            Oceana
            Ventura
            Queen Mary 2
            Queen Victoria
            Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Looks good. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I look forward to your next post.

Comment

Great photos. Thanks, Drewlin. I'm enjoying reading your blogs and following your river cruise. Have a lovely time. I hope that the weather is kind. Best Wishes.

Comment

Very good start to your blog, the main thing is, have a great time and enjoy the cruise. George.

Comment

Loving the blog, great photos. Looking forward to the rest. Enjoy the cruise hope the weathers good.

Comment

Love the white clean lines of the cabin,so far so good,Oh,and the food looks great as well,More please!!! Jan.

Comment

Great start thoroughly enjoyed the start off look forward to more.. CG
                        sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X