• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day 5 with Molly - My thoughts on River Cruising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 5 with Molly - My thoughts on River Cruising

I have just boarded my train for the last leg of my journey home after a coach transfer and two flights and thought I would summarise a few points before I get home to the madness of family life.

I think like Ocean Cruising there probably is a River Cruise out there for everyone but there are certain points you should consider before you go such as:

Mobility Issue

Whilst you can cruise with mobility problems it may not always be possible to get off the ship especially if docked next to a ship that does not have disabled access. Also on Emerald Waterways the lift only covered decks 1-3 and not the sun deck. Forewarned is forearmed so make sure you ask about these issues as it will vary between itineraries.

Dietary Needs & Dining

Breakfast and lunch both had vegetarian options and were buffets with open dining between 7-9 for breakfast and 12.30-2.30 for lunch. Evening dinner was served at 7pm and there were two meat choices, one fish and one vegetarian dish. Certainly the menus were varied and of a high quality with imaginative dishes.

Entertainment

Entertainment onboard was very low key with just a singer in the evening. The crew show was definitely worth a watch and I am also of the understanding that the cruise director also organises local entertainers in some ports.

Shore Excursions

Most shore excursions are included however there are Discovery Tours that incur an additional cost. It is worth investigating these options as I would have been upset if I had missed the opportunity to visit Heidelberg.

Complimentary Items

Emerald Waterways do include a lot of additional extras such as wine, beer or soft drinks with lunch and dinner, still and sparkling water replenished daily in your cabin and gratuities are included in the price.

Would I recommend River Cruising

Most definitely I would due to the sheer fact that I never once queued for anything on this cruise unlike ocean cruising. Also everything is done at a leisurely pace with the day being planned by the cruise director so you get the most from your holiday with plenty of free time to just sit and watch the day go by.

Just a word of warning and remember when coming out of the bathroom to make sure that your blinds are closed and you are wearing a towel as several passers by in Breisach yesterday would have seen more than they bargained for had they looked anywhere near my cabin!!!

If anyone has any queries please feel free to email me at mollym@cruise.co.uk or keep an eye out for my blog on www.cruisingthemollyway.co.uk for pictures and videos over the next few days.
    Having worked on cruise ships for three years and selling cruises since 2001 I certainly have the experience to help you find your perfect cruise. See what other people think at www.cruisingthemollyway.co.uk.

Or do it the old fashioned way and call me on 0800 408 6178

Or by email Mollym@cruise.co.uk

Sound advice indeed Molly. It's been really interesting following your river cruise. Plenty of food for thought!

Comment

Useful tips before thinking of a river cruise.

Comment

Thanks for the blog Molly,looking forward to the photos. Jan.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
        X