• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

River Cruising, Who Knew It Would Be This Good!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

River Cruising, Who Knew It Would Be This Good!

I enjoy going to airports and traveling, being surrounded by people looking forward to their next adventure it always fills me with excitement.This enjoyment can soon turn into frustration when you are delayed, resultingin you not taking off until after you should have landed. That aside, yesterdaywas a great day. On arrival in Frankfurt we were met by Becky who was so warmand friendly all previous troubles were quickly forgotten about.

We then made our way to Koblenz (2hr journey) where we joined the Emerald Sky, our home for the next four nights. I think we havelanded on our feet with this vessel. It is immaculate (as you would expect froma brand new vessel) but so stylish…. muted greys, mode lighting, top of therange fittings. It really is a fantastic looking vessel and one I am glad to be on.

We had a little time to settle in and then we met our cruisedirector in the horizon lounge. There is a 15 minute talk each day beforedinner about what the next day holds a really nice touch. We then made our waydown to dinner which was without fault. Wine is included at dinner and lunch onboard and the waiters were certainly not shy about topping glasses up.

After dinner we met with our cruise director again (startingto feel like a VIP now). A number of us joined today so she gave us a briefoutline of what goes on and let us ask any questions that we had. Thesepersonal touches really make you feel like a valued guest. After this we headedback up to the horizon lounge for a night cap and to make acquaintance with ourfellow cruisers.

We set sail at 7 this morning and at which point I opened myblinds to take in the views. This really is where river cruise excels incomparison to its ocean liner companions. The scenery is ever giving and such afantastic way to wake up. On deck now our cruise director is giving a runningcommentary about our surroundings. On that note I’m off to learn more aboutwhat lies between Koblenz and Rudesheim, our next stop. Where we shall findourselves just after lunch, I think I could get used to this river cruising!!!

They say a picture can tell a thousand words… A few snaps Itook yesterday can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1288401&type=1

Tel: 0800 408 6097
    Blog:

Morning Sian

We have never done a River Cruise before, so look forward to reading yours and the other members of CD's reviews and blogs on your cruise. Also loving the photo's on Facebook.
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

"River Cruising, Who Knew It Would Be This Good!"

All the people obviously know who will be filling Viking's 16 new ships (plus those of other companies) and will be paying high fares for the privilege!

Sorry Sian, I could not resit that!

I am seriously interested in River Cruising, if the date and price are right.

I look forward to the reports. It will be interesting to see how Emerald Waterways (a new player) are different top other cruise lines.
      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 12th April 2014, 03:17 PM.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Sian,

Thanks for the Blog keep it coming and more photos please of the "Ship".

We will be sailing on her in May.

Comment

Great blogs from all on this cruises.

The food looks fantastic, although I may have to ask for seconds on the main course. It looks so good.

Comment

More photos of the ship to follow, I promise! It really has surpassed all expectations. The ship really is very stylish, the food and service is second to none. Next lot of pictures going on facebook shortly.

Blog:

Comment

Looking forward to our trip

Thanks for your blog. We are now in Sofitel at Heathrow and fly to Basel tomorrow to pick up the ship as you get off. Excited!,
              Originally posted by Sian, Cruise.co.uk View Post
              I enjoy going to airports and traveling, being surrounded by people looking forward to their next adventure it always fills me with excitement.This enjoyment can soon turn into frustration when you are delayed, resultingin you not taking off until after you should have landed. That aside, yesterdaywas a great day. On arrival in Frankfurt we were met by Becky who was so warmand friendly all previous troubles were quickly forgotten about.

We then made our way to Koblenz (2hr journey) where we joined the Emerald Sky, our home for the next four nights. I think we havelanded on our feet with this vessel. It is immaculate (as you would expect froma brand new vessel) but so stylish…. muted greys, mode lighting, top of therange fittings. It really is a fantastic looking vessel and one I am glad to be on.

We had a little time to settle in and then we met our cruisedirector in the horizon lounge. There is a 15 minute talk each day beforedinner about what the next day holds a really nice touch. We then made our waydown to dinner which was without fault. Wine is included at dinner and lunch onboard and the waiters were certainly not shy about topping glasses up.

After dinner we met with our cruise director again (startingto feel like a VIP now). A number of us joined today so she gave us a briefoutline of what goes on and let us ask any questions that we had. Thesepersonal touches really make you feel like a valued guest. After this we headedback up to the horizon lounge for a night cap and to make acquaintance with ourfellow cruisers.

We set sail at 7 this morning and at which point I opened myblinds to take in the views. This really is where river cruise excels incomparison to its ocean liner companions. The scenery is ever giving and such afantastic way to wake up. On deck now our cruise director is giving a runningcommentary about our surroundings. On that note I’m off to learn more aboutwhat lies between Koblenz and Rudesheim, our next stop. Where we shall findourselves just after lunch, I think I could get used to this river cruising!!!

They say a picture can tell a thousand words… A few snaps Itook yesterday can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1288401&type=1

Comment

Lucky you Keith, you will love it I'm sure! So sad to back it was an incredible trip

Blog:

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X