• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Mekong Adventure: Part 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mekong Adventure: Part 8

The age-old phrase, 'better late than never' springs to mind! After arriving home from my trip of a life-time with Travelmarvel by APT, I got so caught up with telling stories of my time on the Mekong to my friends and colleagues about how fantastic the trip was and how much I loved Cambodia (particularly Siem Reap) that I completely forgot to tell you all about it!

Siem Reap was where our fantastic Mekong river cruise came to an end; why does time go so quickly when you're having fun!? After an adventurous coach journey to Siem Reap, we arrived at our hotel and wow, Travelmarvel definitely saved the best until last. The Shinta Mani Resort and Spa was one of the most tranquil, beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in. The rooms (which were huge!) were decorated with blacks, greys and orange which gives a wonderful feel of South East Asia and was full of peppermint and jasmine fragrances - take me back! Not to mention the beautiful lotus flowers all over the hotel, it was absolutely stunning! After we unpacked, had lunch and explored the hotel, we all met up and headed to Angkor Wat and oh wow, it was definitely worth the wait! From pictures (and if you're not already aware) you may think Angkor Wat is just a triple headed temple (so so wrong!) but it is so vast and the detail is so so intricate. You can climb up to the top of Angkor Wat and I'm so glad we braved it, the views were spectacular and we saw quite a few little monkeys!

After spending the best part of 2 and a half hours at Angkor Wat, we came back to the hotel, had a dip in the pool and went out to explore Siem Reap! Drinks were amazingly cheap at $1 so if you find yourself ith free time in the evening in Siem Reap, head to pub street - there are plenty of places to eat there too, we went for a Cambodian BBQ and sampled crocodile, ostrich & shark!

It's safe to say, after getting back at 4am some of us weren't feeling to sharp the next morning however we were still all up at 9am for breakfast and a morning swim in the pool. Late morning we headed back to Angkor to explore Ta Prohm & Bayan Temple - if you want to look around all of the temples you need about 3 days as there are so many and I'd advise spending enough time so your not rushing! Ta Promh may not sound familiar to you but it's where a lot of scene in Tomb Raider were filmed - think ruins and trees intertwined! After playing Lara Croft and exploring the temple we moved on to out final temple and our final excursions - the Bayan Temple also known as temple of the faces as it has huge daves carved in to it. Our guide Tai (pronounced T) showed us the best spot to take a picture to make it look like our noses were touching the carving - selfies galore were going on after this! We stopped for more photos on our way home including a few sunset shots and made out way back to the hotel for our final meal, a traditional Khmer dinner complete with Khmer dancers that have danced for the king. It was a fantastic evening and the perfect end to what was quite literally the perfect holiday. Before heading back to the UK we had our final day at leisure so we all spent time in the pool reminiscing about our favourite parts of the holiday and between everyone in our Travelmarvel group, nobody had a bad word to say about the trip and if given the chance, we would all go back in a heartbeat. This was my first trip to South East Asia and it's safe to say, I'm in love.

Travelmarvel were fantastic from start to finish. The tours were incredible and so unique, The hotel stays were great, the ship was beautiful and the food was absolutely delicious, If you get the chance I would 100% recommended this trip (and I've heard Travelmarvel by APT have some pretty fantastic offers at the moment so be sure to give one of the Cruise.co River Experts a call!)

Over & Out

Jess x
    Last edited by Indulgent Cruising, Redditch; 6th October 2015, 10:49 AM.

It certainly looks fantastic Jess.

One Day..........One Day!!!
    Wilba

Comment

Looks very like Borobudor in Java which we visited , so much history with these places , difficult to take it all in ,

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
      X