• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Final Thoughts on River Cruising with APT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Final Thoughts on River Cruising with APT!

Hi Guys

Click on the link to see photos of the ship http://goo.gl/N3qc7O

I have to confess, although I was curious about River Cruising, I wasn’t totally thrilled at the idea of sailing on such a small ship. My outdated preconceived ideas were: small ships, small cabins, slow paced and nothing to do, I really couldn’t of been more wrong!
    I have just spent 4 days on the AmaDante with APT Cruises, cruising from Frankfurt to Basel on the Rhine and even though I’m not in the typical river cruise target market I loved it!

The Ship, MS AmaDante was launched in 2008. It can caters for 148 passengers and has 48 crew members. A lot of thought has gone into the layout and design of the ship for example they have not put any cabins next to the engines instead guest can make use of public areas like the gym, health spa and the specialty restaurant.

My cabin: Two good size single beds. Television with 11 English speaking channels, which also doubles up as a PC. Free Wi-Fi. A fridge stocked with complimentary water, which was replenished each day. Amazing bathroom, with a superb, very powerful shower. More towels than you needed, complimentary toiletries, bath robes and slippers and hearing devices for the tours.

What impressed me the most onboard was the atmosphere, I have never felt so welcomed, staff and guests introduced themselves. It really felt like a little community, maybe the name badges that are given to every guest helped in making the overall experience warm & friendly. Most of the guests were Australian, who were great fun and the ages vary from 35 to 80 years old with the average guest in the 60s. What surprised me was how the captain was much more involved with the passengers than on an ocean cruise, greeting guests, sitting with you at dinner, making speeches and having a drink with you on an evening.
    The quality and presentation for every meal was sublime and I can see why the ships are members of La Chaine des Rotisseurs, one of the worlds most prestigious culinary organisations. APT spend more on their food budget than any other River cruise line and it really does show, it’s probably the best I have ever eaten at sea. Anyone with any special dietary request can rest assure they will be something for you and if not they will make it. For those with dietary needs staff were quite happy explaining menu on a one on one basis, nothing was too much trouble.

Another thing that I noticed are the personal touches that can no longer be found with the large cruise lines. It’s all in the detail and APT do this very well, things like being greeted by staff with hot towels and drinks when boarding after every tour, using my name when possible really did make the whole experience special.
    One of the main pluses to river cruising is its Itinerary, at most ports of call you are moored in the town, there was no need to wait in line for your transfer coach, you are already there. Straight off the ship, a short stroll and you are in the town centre, what a joy!

At first glance the APT prices may look a little on the high side, when you compare them against other River Cruise lines, However when you consider what you are getting: free drinks, complimentary bottled water in your cabin, free excursions, UK pick ups, the 4* quality & service you receive they are amazing value for money.

Would I river cruise again? Simple answer yes! In fact I’m now looking for a River Cruise for my nana & I and yes it’s going to be with APT.

Cx
    I'm a cheeky Geordie wanting to find you the right cruise, I've been in the industry many years, seen many ships and know lots of little tips!
    See want other cruisers think about my service - http://clarecruises.co.uk

Alternatively, follow me on
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/clare.cruises
    Google Plus - https://plus.google.com/u/0/102010582188312942950/posts

I would love to hear from you... Call me on 0800 408 6076 or Email clareg@cruise.co.uk

Way Aye Man!
    Cx

Hi Clare, it all sounds great. APT do not get the publicity that Viking obviously pay for.

Did you feel out of place being younger?

I must say Amadate looked very modern and clean. The food looks very good.

I'd love to try a river cruise, but I still have a problem with the cost. Some cost over TWICE as much as an ocean cruise, but I can't imagine the experience will be twice as good.

In fact I saw some APT fares FROM £314 pp, per day! The total for a couple, for 21 nights, would buy a new CAR! That is not my idea of 'good value'.

Given the fact that river cruising is growing in popularity and the likes of Viking are rapidly expending, I appreciate that many customers think it is well worth the money!
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 2nd April 2014, 10:10 AM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for you comments. We were quite clearly the youngest onboard however I didnt feel out of place as the guests were very welcoming.

Another company to consider would be Rivieria Travel, they are an independent cruise line so have more control over their prices. However they don't include drinks but their ships are modern and clean too.

hope this helps

cx
      I'm a cheeky Geordie wanting to find you the right cruise, I've been in the industry many years, seen many ships and know lots of little tips!
      See want other cruisers think about my service - http://clarecruises.co.uk

Alternatively, follow me on
      Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/clare.cruises
      Google Plus - https://plus.google.com/u/0/102010582188312942950/posts

I would love to hear from you... Call me on 0800 408 6076 or Email clareg@cruise.co.uk

Way Aye Man!
      Cx

Comment

Originally posted by Clare, Cruise.co.uk View Post
        Another company to consider would be Rivieria Travel, they are an independent cruise line so have more control over their prices. However they don't include drinks but their ships are modern and clean too.
        Thanks Clare, I will check them out.

The advantage with Ocean Cruises is that it is a mature market. There is a range of lines and a range of fares, aimed at different demographics: from budget to luxury. Most river cruising seems to be priced in the 'luxury' band, aimed at the mature, but of course the smaller boats do make it rather exclusive.

You have certainly stimulated my interest - I'm just looking for the right fare!
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

APT sound ideal. They seem to have got it just right. I should love to try a river cruise when we have time. Thanks Clare. Judith

Comment

Hi Clare, thanks for your very interesting blogs, excellent photos and review. Good to see the menus, food and drinks, the inclusive choice looks pretty good; the premium prices are not too steep either.

River cruising has come a long way since I last tried them, back then the food was mundane & uninteresting! Looks an excellent cruise line, can I take it that you can swap too rail travel to get to your departure point?

Also, whilst the food looks excellent, if you don't fancy the days veggie choice can you have an alternative?

Lizzie.
            Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Great review Clare and lots of lovely photos. The boat looks comfortable and immaculate and the presentation of the food very tempting. I'd love to try the Amuse Bouche!

Loved Teddy's Tours as well.......he's a cutie.

Comment

Thank you for that Clare.

I'm very interested in a river cruise and your photos and description have certainly helped. I'll put APT on my 'look at' list along with Scenic and Viking.

Comment

Thanks Clare for an interesting and informative review. A river cruise is something we would like to try (especially Drew) when finances permit and this has certainly whetted our appetite.
                  Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Thank you Clare for your excellent review and pics which make it all seem very tempting.

As Malcolm says, the prices are rather heavy but who knows?

Comment

Thanks from me to.

River cruising certainly has appeal so maybe one day.

Comment

I am off on an APT river cruise soon, but am not keen on all the organised excursions. Is it easy to 'do your own thing instead?
                        Meg

Comment

Maybe you should apply for Jane MacDonald's post. Reading your posts make me feel that, ebullient though she is, you were far better. ......Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Meg50, London View Post
                            I am off on an APT river cruise soon, but am not keen on all the organised excursions. Is it easy to 'do your own thing instead?
                            On our Emerald Waterways river cruise there was no obligation to go on the organised tours, although they were wonderful with very informative guides. You could do your own thing and as they moored right in the heart of the towns, it was easy to do most of the time. Have a great time and come back and tell us all about it.
                            Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Meg50, London View Post
                              We are too Meg, in November from Amsterdam to Budapest. Not sure about the included excursions so will play it by ear.
                              Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X