• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A European River cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A European River cruise

Two friends and myself are looking at booking a river cruise in Europe next June/July.

We all want to book single cabins and want to avoid the Danube because we have all 'been there, done that'.

The problem is which cruise line to choose. I have sailed with Viking and APT but wondered if there are any recommendations from fellow forum members.
    Jill

We have done Viking in Europe and APT in SE Asia, would be happy with either again, as to others we did a Seine cruise with Great Rail Journeys which was OK but the luggage transfers in Paris and London would put us off another.

John

Comment

Hi Jill, I've done two cruises with Amadeus and I rate them pretty highly. They seem to be adding new vessels each year.

I like the fact that they don't include travel, all drinks and all excursions - which saves me money.

www.amadeus-rivercruises.co.uk

I believe Olsen's river boat is essentially an Amadeus product.

My blog contains reviews of Amadeus Silver II and Amadeus Elegant.
      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 28th October 2018, 06:28 PM.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
        Hi Jill, I've done two cruises with Amadeus and I rate them pretty highly. They seem to be adding new vessels each year.

I like the fact that they don't include travel, all drinks and all excursions - which saves me money.

www.amadeus-rivercruises.co.uk

I believe Olsen's river boat is essentially an Amadeus product.

My blog contains reviews of Amadeus Silver II and Amadeus Elegant.
        Thanks Malcolm. We are looking at Amadeus but it seems to me that that the single supplement on any river cruise might kill it for me.
        Jill

Comment

Friends have just come back from a Scenic river cruise. It was highly impacted by the low water levels in the Rhine and they missed ports and had to change boats once. Even without those problems, they were not very impressed with Scenic and wouldnt choose them again. They are frequent Azamara Cruisers and said the food and entertainment were nowhere near as good as on Azamara. They did meet somevlovely people onboard though. I have other friends who have been with AMA twice and they loved the whole experience.

Comment

Have only done one can't remember who with but really did enjoy it, but not sure if I'd do another would have to check out other rivers but on the Rhine they have boats going up and down the river all day so think I'd book into a hotel and travel on them "actually have done it" you can sit on top deck with a nice reasonable bottle of wine get off see the a town something to eat get on the next one. As limited entertainment if any at night n river cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lottie A, UK View Post
              Friends have just come back from a Scenic river cruise. It was highly impacted by the low water levels in the Rhine and they missed ports and had to change boats once. Even without those problems, they were not very impressed with Scenic and wouldnt choose them again. They are frequent Azamara Cruisers and said the food and entertainment were nowhere near as good as on Azamara. They did meet somevlovely people onboard though. I have other friends who have been with AMA twice and they loved the whole experience.
              Thanks Lottie. Scenic maybe a company to avoid then.
              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Thanks Lottie. Scenic maybe a company to avoid then.
                Although I don't want to pay thousands of pounds for a river cruise, I have investigated several of the cheaper lines and their boats and/or food simply seems to be sub-standard from the reviews.

By the way, Amadeus have a web site priced in euros. (And one in dollars). I once paid in euros, because it worked out cheaper than the pound fares.

Comment

Although I don't want to pay thousands of pounds for a river cruise, I have investigated several of the cheaper lines and their boats and/or food simply seems to be sub-standard from the reviews.

By the way, Amadeus have a web site priced in euros. (And one in dollars). I once paid in euros, because it worked out cheaper than the pound fares.
                  I just looked at the cruise from Lyon and 8 days in June would cost almost £2000. I think I will tell my friends to go without me for that money.
                  Jill

Comment

I just looked at the cruise from Lyon and 8 days in June would cost almost £2000. I think I will tell my friends to go without me for that money.
                    Jill, is that PP?

The two Amadeus cruises that I did were both off-season, making them 'almost' affordable!

Comment

Jill, is that PP?

The two Amadeus cruises that I did were both off-season, making them 'almost' affordable!
                      Well, my friend and I have bitten the bullet and booked Fred Olsen's Brabant cruising from Dusseldorf to Basel next June.

It is the first time that I have booked a single cabin but my friend didn't want to share as she says that she snores!

Prices on Fred's Brabant start at £1499. As there are no single cabins as such, my choice of cabin plus the single supplement brings the cost to £1969. My friend has booked a Juliet balcony so she is paying £2398.

It seems a lot to me but I guess that is the drawback of single cabins.

Unfortunately, we missed an all inclusive deal from Fred by 2 days. On the plus side however, my agent has included wine with lunch and dinner.

Has anyone sailed on Brabant yet?
                      Jill

Comment

Has anyone sailed on Brabant yet?
                        Not me Jill, but It's a re-branded (Chartered) Amadeus Princess. I assume that the staff are all Amadeus with maybe an English Cruise director?

Trust me Jill - the standards of food and service are very good. The experience on-board will probably be very similar to my Amadeus Elegant cruise: https://wp.me/PfRKD-4Pc

I've tell you a little trick: Ask for a big top-up of wine when you have finished your dinner and take it with you to the lounge!

Comment

Not me Jill, but It's a re-branded (Chartered) Amadeus Princess. I assume that the staff are all Amadeus with maybe an English Cruise director?

Trust me Jill - the standards of food and service are very good. The experience on-board will probably be very similar to my Amadeus Elegant cruise: https://wp.me/PfRKD-4Pc

I've tell you a little trick: Ask for a big top-up of wine when you have finished your dinner and take it with you to the lounge!
                          Thanks for that Malcolm!
                          Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X