• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'The World' in Liverpool.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    Proud, I am not particularly a P&O fan but I do admire their advert........."There's a World Out There".......So rather than spending a day travelling to Southampton, or Liverpool for that matter, some of us prefer to spend a day travelling to Ft Lauderdale, Singapore or somewhere nearer like Venice, anywhere but 'suffer' bobbing around in the Irish Sea or English Channel for a 'wasted' week of sunshine, or should I say lack of it.

    Liverpool, an interesting new possibility, but a major player in the world of cruising is pie in the sky.........Wilba
    I have to agree with you Wilba and on the whole I prefer fly cruises to avoid the potential of poor weather and my preference is also for port intensive with just the odd sea day.However,I like to change it up mixing fly and sail out cruises as well as different lines to keep cruising "fresh"

    Comment


      #92
      Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
      Whilst Liverpool is a great port of call (I had a super weekend prior to sailing last year) I cannot see it handling the large ships of the major cruise lines. Embarkation of 3000+ passengers is quite a logistical exercise and the current terminal just does not have the facilities nor the capacity to handle these numbers.

      As regards Disembarking 3000+ passengers - that would just be a farce. The Customs shed is extremely small and by no stretch of the imagination could 6000+ pieces of luggage be stored (under cover) for passenger collection prior to passing through Customs.

      The terminal was able to handle with ease a small ship such as CMV's late OceanCountess but it would struggle with anything larger. I understand that long term car parking is much better than last year which was some three miles from the ship.

      cheers
      Harvey

      Hi Harvey, Bristol upon Cream

      I think people have to put things in perspective and take into account the history of the lack of facilities in Liverpool.

      Until relatively recently the situation was that day visits were confined to the floating stage in the river ( used because of the vast tidal range at Liverpool ) and turnarounds had to use Langton Dock which is only accessible from the river via narrow locks. Fred Olsen decided a few years ago that this situation was impracticable and decided to withdraw from Liverpool on safety reasons.
      Having now persuaded the government to remove the restrictions on the use of the floating stage ( repayment of grants etc. ) Fred Olsen and other operators are now coming back to Liverpool in ever growing numbers year after year, after year.

      Make no mistake Liverpool does not have a cruise terminal ( a proper cruise terminal, it does have a temporary customs/luggage facility ).
      Plans are in place to have a proper terminal ( what capacity this will have ,I do not know as yet ). All I do know is that Liverpool are definitely in the cruise business for the long haul and intend to have world class facilities. The important thing from Liverpool's point of view was to up it's game following the problems with the turnaround facilities at Langton Dock which to be quite honest, were no very attractive at all.
      Now that turnaround cruises can berth at the floating stage, passengers can disembark directly into a " World Heritage Site " and experience an entrance to a city that is only possible in a few places in the world.

      Given just a little more time , Liverpool hopefully will have a proper cruise terminal facility to be proud of, in the meantime I would urge cruisers to enjoy their arrival in my home city and be a little more patient.

      Comment


        #93
        Originally posted by Proud, Liverpool View Post
        Hi Harvey, Bristol upon Cream

        I think people have to put things in perspective and take into account the history of the lack of facilities in Liverpool.

        Until relatively recently the situation was that day visits were confined to the floating stage in the river ( used because of the vast tidal range at Liverpool ) and turnarounds had to use Langton Dock which is only accessible from the river via narrow locks. Fred Olsen decided a few years ago that this situation was impracticable and decided to withdraw from Liverpool on safety reasons.
        Having now persuaded the government to remove the restrictions on the use of the floating stage ( repayment of grants etc. ) Fred Olsen and other operators are now coming back to Liverpool in ever growing numbers year after year, after year.

        Make no mistake Liverpool does not have a cruise terminal ( a proper cruise terminal, it does have a temporary customs/luggage facility ).
        Plans are in place to have a proper terminal ( what capacity this will have ,I do not know as yet ). All I do know is that Liverpool are definitely in the cruise business for the long haul and intend to have world class facilities. The important thing from Liverpool's point of view was to up it's game following the problems with the turnaround facilities at Langton Dock which to be quite honest, were no very attractive at all.
        Now that turnaround cruises can berth at the floating stage, passengers can disembark directly into a " World Heritage Site " and experience an entrance to a city that is only possible in a few places in the world.

        Given just a little more time , Liverpool hopefully will have a proper cruise terminal facility to be proud of, in the meantime I would urge cruisers to enjoy their arrival in my home city and be a little more patient.
        Good evening Proud

        I totally agree with you that the new Liverpool facility (I'll call it that as you seem reluctant to call it a cruise terminal) is situated in a prime spot equalled very rarely throughout the world.

        With regard to the yet another new cruise terminal I am under the impression from what I've read that this is a development idea put forward by the Peel group. I'm further under the impression, again from what I've read that it is the last segment of their riverside development scheme and estimated to be around 20 to 30 years down the road. Should I be correct - I just cannot see the major cruise lines operating full turnarounds for their large ships from the current 'new' terminal, sorry - facility, as they could not cope with 3000+ passengers for the reasons I stated earlier.

        As a matter of interest I do hope that Liverpool does reclaim some of the lost cruise business but I cannot see it for at least another two or three decades. In the meantime they may well retain/regain the small fry - CMV and Fred etc. with their much smaller ships.

        Just a final thought. The Peel plans for this new terminal - where will it be situated? In the same place as the current new 'facility'? If it is to be further downstream then the big attraction of the wonderful central location would be lost. It's the central location of the new 'facility' which makes such a visual impact when docking IN Liverpool and if the new new terminal was on the outskirts of the city it would become just another port - close to a city centre but not IN it - like hundreds throughout the world.

        cheers
        Harvey

        PS I've used this photo before but it's a sight to see docking IN Liverpool.

        PPS Deleted the photo. Seems to be something wrong with NikonImageSpace web site. I'll post the photo later.

        PPPS Nikon system working again - photo added

        Last edited by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream; 1st August 2013, 09:44 AM.

        Comment


          #94
          Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
          Good evening Proud

          I totally agree with you that the new Liverpool facility (I'll call it that as you seem reluctant to call it a cruise terminal) is situated in a prime spot equalled very rarely throughout the world.

          With regard to the yet another new cruise terminal I am under the impression from what I've read that this is a development idea put forward by the Peel group. I'm further under the impression, again from what I've read that it is the last segment of their riverside development scheme and estimated to be around 20 to 30 years down the road. Should I be correct - I just cannot see the major cruise lines operating full turnarounds for their large ships from the current 'new' terminal, sorry - facility, as they could not cope with 3000+ passengers for the reasons I stated earlier.

          As a matter of interest I do hope that Liverpool does reclaim some of the lost cruise business but I cannot see it for at least another two or three decades. In the meantime they may well retain/regain the small fry - CMV and Fred etc. with their much smaller ships.

          Just a final thought. The Peel plans for this new terminal - where will it be situated? In the same place as the current new 'facility'? If it is to be further downstream then the big attraction of the wonderful central location would be lost. It's the central location of the new 'facility' which makes such a visual impact when docking IN Liverpool and if the new new terminal was on the outskirts of the city it would become just another port - close to a city centre but not IN it - like hundreds throughout the world.

          cheers
          Harvey

          PS I've used this photo before but it's a sight to see docking IN Liverpool.

          PPS Deleted the photo. Seems to be something wrong with NikonImageSpace web site. I'll post the photo later.
          Just to clear up a few points Harvey.

          The current landing stage facility is owned by the council and they are planning to open a properly designed cruise terminal
          ( customs/baggage handling etc ) as soon as possible to handle large passenger volumes.

          As part of Peel Ports proposed " Liverpool Waters " development another complete cruise terminal is proposed that will allow passengers to embark/disembark in the centre of this new development ( this however is some years off ).

          If you are interested in the growth of the cruise trade in Liverpool, then the following web page has an article which
          illustrates the percentage growth over the last 2 or 3 years.



          Record number of cruise ships to visit Liverpool in 2014

          Comment


            #95
            Originally posted by Proud, Liverpool View Post
            Just to clear up a few points Harvey.

            The current landing stage facility is owned by the council and they are planning to open a properly designed cruise terminal
            ( customs/baggage handling etc ) as soon as possible to handle large passenger volumes.

            As part of Peel Ports proposed " Liverpool Waters " development another complete cruise terminal is proposed that will allow passengers to embark/disembark in the centre of this new development ( this however is some years off ).

            If you are interested in the growth of the cruise trade in Liverpool, then the following web page has an article which
            illustrates the percentage growth over the last 2 or 3 years.



            Record number of cruise ships to visit Liverpool in 2014
            Thanks for the info Proud. I wasn't aware of the plans for the current new terminal. That clarifies a lot for me.

            cheers
            Harvey

            Comment


              #96
              Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
              Thanks for the info Proud. I wasn't aware of the plans for the current new terminal. That clarifies a lot for me.

              cheers
              Harvey

              Hi Harvey,

              Here is a little more information that I think will provide conclusive proof, that Liverpool is going
              all-out to grow its cruise ship business.


              A World Class Destination | Cruise Liverpool

              Comment


                #97
                Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                So funnily enough is Falmouth.

                Perhaps some research will throw up some interesting figures.
                Yes Richard for a small port we have 36 cruise ships on the stemming list and still they are looking into the dredging of the 3rd largest natural harbour in the world!!

                Nothing must be allowed to interfere with the EU designated conservation areas or seaweed especially jobs.CG
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #98
                  Harwich another small port, this year we have 57 cruises of which only 10 are transit calls, the rest being turnaround cruises.

                  The 10 transit cruises, show it as Harwich (London), probably because the Port of Harwich has its own train station close to the ship, the trains run an hourly service to London, and in approx 75 minutes passengers could be in the City of London (Liverpool Street station).
                  Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 1st August 2013, 11:53 AM.
                  Delboy


                  Photo Albums

                  https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

                  or

                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

                  Comment


                    #99
                    Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                    Harwich another small port, this year we have 57 cruises of which only 10 are transit calls, the rest being turnaround cruises.

                    The 10 transit cruises, show it as Harwich (London), probably because the Port of Harwich has its own train station close to the ship, the trains run an hourly service to London, and in approx 75 minutes passengers could be in the City of London (Liverpool Street station).
                    Absolutely spot on Delboy.

                    Distances these days are of little concern, especially when passengers want to see something of interest.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Proud, Liverpool View Post
                      Hi Harvey,

                      Here is a little more information that I think will provide conclusive proof, that Liverpool is going
                      all-out to grow its cruise ship business.


                      A World Class Destination | Cruise Liverpool
                      Well Cunard's Queen Elizabeth will be calling into Liverpool next Tuesday I believe (6th August).

                      I was a guest on board her three days ago...

                      Queen Elizabeth – A day visit | Solent Richard's Cruise Blog

                      Let's hope one of you ardent Liverpool supporters can get down there for some pictures.

                      I won't hold my breath.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                        Proud, I am not particularly a P&O fan but I do admire their advert........."There's a World Out There".......So rather than spending a day travelling to Southampton, or Liverpool for that matter, some of us prefer to spend a day travelling to Ft Lauderdale, Singapore or somewhere nearer like Venice, anywhere but 'suffer' bobbing around in the Irish Sea or English Channel for a 'wasted' week of sunshine, or should I say lack of it.

                        Liverpool, an interesting new possibility, but a major player in the world of cruising is pie in the sky.........Wilba
                        Wilba I totally agree with you. Why pay all that money to cruise the med over and over again when there is so much to see around the world. We have ony done two med cruises and not interested in doing any more unless we are not allowed to fly. We love Singapore. Hong Kong, Vietnam, Shanghi, Beijing amongst others. My favourite is Bangkok the only downside is the distance between the city and where the ship docks. We are glad we had three days sightseeing before joining the ship. Wonderful exciting city.
                        Regarding Liverpool - half an hour takes us there through the tunnel or ferry so I had better not make any more comments on it or Richard will be telling me off ha ha.LINDA
                        Greenaway, Cheshire

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by greenaway, ellesmere port View Post
                          Wilba I totally agree with you. Why pay all that money to cruise the med over and over again when there is so much to see around the world. We have ony done two med cruises and not interested in doing any more unless we are not allowed to fly. We love Singapore. Hong Kong, Vietnam, Shanghi, Beijing amongst others. My favourite is Bangkok the only downside is the distance between the city and where the ship docks. We are glad we had three days sightseeing before joining the ship. Wonderful exciting city.
                          Regarding Liverpool - half an hour takes us there through the tunnel or ferry so I had better not make any more comments on it or Richard will be telling me off ha ha.LINDA
                          Now why would I be likely to be telling off my second favourite Scouser? Particularly as we share Bangkok as a favoured destination.

                          Where else could one dine with the locals, on the side of a street, and enjoy really authentic Tom Yang Gung than in Soi 24...

                          Comment


                            Not only The World that is sailing around the UK lately.

                            I spotted this little gem passing 'Solent Towers' earlier in the week...

                            Silver Cloud



                            and Azamara Quest in Southampton tomorrow.

                            Might be a good day for a ship visit.

                            Comment


                              Hello folks,
                              I saw the big ships at Liverpool Pier Head as a boy. I would like them back again, but they will only appeal to cruisers who enjoy sailing, like me, but I live nearer to Southampton, (the clue is in my psuedonym). So the result is that people who equate two days getting out of Liverpool as a part of the sailing holiday rather than two days down the motorway as an awful part of the holiday to be endured, like an airport, it has to be a winner. Like every thing else, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The reverse would obviously be true for me now.
                              Ta ra,
                              Alan

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X